Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:38 PM

63 posts, read 109,215 times

Advertisements

It's not coming to Wylie unfortunately, but Richardson by the new State Farm campus - Retail - CityLine. I'll take it since it's a short drive from us down Renner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 03:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_TX View Post
We are looking for a house to start a family in, so a decent backyard, great community, short commute, good ISD would be more important than just a great return on our investment. We are not even sure if we will sell the house or just rent it out when we do decide to move in future.

I just wanted to make sure we are not making a bad financial decision by buying in this area as our realtor seems to believe. But like you pointed out, she doesn't specialize in the Wylie, Sachse, Murphy area so I wanted to hear from people who live in the vicinity.

Thank you so much for your replies! I feel better about this decision now.

I do have another question, at present this lot is in Wylie with Wylie ISD assigned. I know some of Woodbridge area is in Sachse and divided between Garland and Wylie ISDs. Is it very common for these borders and assignments to change over time?
If it is in Wylie ISD now, that will not change. One thing to keep in mind is that you could have rezoning of schools within the district, especially if there is a lot of new construction in the area and existing schools get overwhelmed. So one year you could be zoned to Elementary A in Wylie ISD and a few years later you might be zoned to Elementary B in Wylie ISD if a new school is opened. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM

216 posts, read 214,292 times
I'm shocked your realtor called Wylie "a bad financial decision". Honestly, I'd fire my realtor for a comment like that! And suggesting Frisco? Of course, they want you in Frisco... so you too can get into bidding wars just to secure a home, driving the price (and their commission) up. We are selling our house in a "hot" area (close to the tollway), but zoned to a bad elem school, and looking in Wylie to buy. Our realtor said we were "moving in the right direction" - meaning selling high and buying low (adjusted for price for sq ft of course). I've talked to several families who LOVE the schools in Wylie ISD. That helped sway our decision. The houses we've been looking at all have great backyards, but they aren't new construction. Maybe consider 10 year old homes instead? Although - wanted to mention 'buying a house because you plan to start a family' isn't the best idea. It could take you several years to HAVE a baby... and then 5 years before that 'baby' is even in elementary school. We bought our house as newlyweds - when the elementary school was greatschool rated 7. Now that we've had children who are about to enroll, it's a 3. Wish we'd waited until school enrollment was closer.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 8,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
I'm shocked your realtor called Wylie "a bad financial decision". Honestly, I'd fire my realtor for a comment like that! And suggesting Frisco? Of course, they want you in Frisco... so you too can get into bidding wars just to secure a home, driving the price (and their commission) up. We are selling our house in a "hot" area (close to the tollway), but zoned to a bad elem school, and looking in Wylie to buy. Our realtor said we were "moving in the right direction" - meaning selling high and buying low (adjusted for price for sq ft of course). I've talked to several families who LOVE the schools in Wylie ISD. That helped sway our decision. The houses we've been looking at all have great backyards, but they aren't new construction. Maybe consider 10 year old homes instead? Although - wanted to mention 'buying a house because you plan to start a family' isn't the best idea. It could take you several years to HAVE a baby... and then 5 years before that 'baby' is even in elementary school. We bought our house as newlyweds - when the elementary school was greatschool rated 7. Now that we've had children who are about to enroll, it's a 3. Wish we'd waited until school enrollment was closer.
Thanks for your reply. One of the reasons why we want a decent backyard is so we can have dogs, our current apartment doesn't allow pets. We found several new homes in the Woodbridge area that offer nice backyards, Frisco had only new patio homes in our budget. If at all possible, we prefer new houses over old ones that will need lots of updates.

I understand your point about the elementary school. We just thought buying in a good ISD would make more sense if we ever needed to sell this house in the short term. I am hoping for sure that the schools stay great enough in the long term, so we won't have to move elsewhere when our kids are ready to enroll. But it isn't our topmost priority at the moment.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lphung129 View Post
It's not coming to Wylie unfortunately, but Richardson by the new State Farm campus - Retail - CityLine. I'll take it since it's a short drive from us down Renner!
This would be very close to where my husband works. So will definitely check it out! Is there a Central Market close by too?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:40 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Central Market is at George Bush/Coit, so not too far.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
If it is in Wylie ISD now, that will not change. One thing to keep in mind is that you could have rezoning of schools within the district, especially if there is a lot of new construction in the area and existing schools get overwhelmed. So one year you could be zoned to Elementary A in Wylie ISD and a few years later you might be zoned to Elementary B in Wylie ISD if a new school is opened. Just something to keep in mind.
So its possible for us to be reassigned to another school in Wylie ISD as the area develops, but not much chance of getting reassigned from Wylie to Garland ISD right? Sorry for all the questions, we are quite new to all this.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 PM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
You could end up having the schools rezoned within Wylie ISD, as you could in any area. Frisco ISD is going thru that now and the parents were NOT happy.

However, if you visit the Wylie ISD website, they may have a proposed site map already for schools that are planned along with a timeline. If the house you do purchase has an elementary school within 2 miles of you, chances are you will not be rezoned. Since you do not presently have children, chances are that by the time you do and they start school any new schools in your immediate area have already been completed and open.

Wylie ISD has 2 high schools and as of right now I do not think they have anything planned for a 3rd. Both high schools are fairly new. The old Wylie HS is now a middle school.

Oh, and fire your realtor! Just because she is not familiar with Wylie, Sachse, Murphy does not mean it is a "bad investment".
You must buy what is right for YOU and YOUR family, not hers.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Thank you for all the replies, it has really helped us reach a decision. We are moving ahead and signing our contract this week. We are very excited about moving to this area! I really appreciate all your help and the excellent information on this forum.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_tx View Post
thank you for all the replies, it has really helped us reach a decision. We are moving ahead and signing our contract this week. We are very excited about moving to this area! I really appreciate all your help and the excellent information on this forum.
congrats!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas