Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:28 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times

Advertisements

If starting a business, then probably lower. Sorry I didn't clarify, I was refering to salaries in the industrial sector; manufacturing and power plant. From my experience here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
I'll need MEs first presumably EEs and software engineers later on of course.

We shall see

Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 PM

537 posts, read 598,259 times
I make just over $100k as a software developer with 10+ years experience, but I know there are some technologies I'd make more money in, and I know starting salary in DFW is really low. Most people I know who get into the software industry here in DFW without a Bachelor's degree in something related to CS start around $30k, and with a Bachelor's degree it's about $40-$55k. After about 3 years the average seems to be around $70-75k in my experience, and $80k+ after 5 years. But again it varies depending on what exactly you're doing. If you work at a financial institution you will probably make more - if you work more with web app stuff (like me), probably less. I'm trying to get into iOS app development, as that's a fairly easy route to make a very comfortable income. I came from NYC where the salaries for what I do are easily 25% higher. But with cost of living up there, it makes more sense to live here I think. Well, if cost of living keeps increasing in DFW without comparable salary raises, the COL benefit may become null, who knows.

Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering seem to pay more than software engineering/development. But if you're in software you are much more likely to be able to have flexible hours and remote work options, so it all balances out in my opinion.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 AM

45 posts, read 70,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I make just over $100k as a software developer with 10+ years experience, but I know there are some technologies I'd make more money in, and I know starting salary in DFW is really low. Most people I know who get into the software industry here in DFW without a Bachelor's degree in something related to CS start around $30k, and with a Bachelor's degree it's about $40-$55k. After about 3 years the average seems to be around $70-75k in my experience, and $80k+ after 5 years. But again it varies depending on what exactly you're doing. If you work at a financial institution you will probably make more - if you work more with web app stuff (like me), probably less. I'm trying to get into iOS app development, as that's a fairly easy route to make a very comfortable income. I came from NYC where the salaries for what I do are easily 25% higher. But with cost of living up there, it makes more sense to live here I think. Well, if cost of living keeps increasing in DFW without comparable salary raises, the COL benefit may become null, who knows.

Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering seem to pay more than software engineering/development. But if you're in software you are much more likely to be able to have flexible hours and remote work options, so it all balances out in my opinion.
I find your salaries to education a little out dated by 10-15% on the low side, could be due to quality of schools and specific sectors.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
$60K doesn't sound so bad but cost of having an engineer is more than that.

Taxes, benefits, health insurance...etc.

It is probably $150K-$200K range.

Now i see why companies are not willing to hire people.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 AM

504 posts, read 801,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

How so? What a generalization! Do you understand supply and demand? The companies get to bill the clients and the clients are willing to pay the rates of engineers. With the infrastructure boom in Texas, clients understand that you get what you pay for. I can only speak for civil engineers. TxDOT is more than willing to pay for 20+ year PE to manage their construction projects up to $100/hr. (>$200k/yr)

Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 AM

44 posts, read 42,455 times
I'm in petrochemicals. We start our ME's at $85k and ChemE's at $95k. Obviously this industry is tight right now though....

Old 03-02-2016, 08:01 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post

When you work through the mark-ups and all, especially if there are head-hunters/brokers involved, it can get to the point the numbers do not even make sense, and it becomes this mess where "billable hours" become the product -- about like attorneys.

Most sensible way to get out of the chaos is to avoid all the overhead issues as you noted, and just go straight 1099 or C2C. Most of the work I have done for the last five years (maybe longer) is either 1099 or C2C, even with Full Service Engineering Firms. They just slot me in at some Client Billing Rate / Title, and I bill them, and they bill their Client.

Others (typically smaller) -- where there are not "Bill-Through" rates to a Government or Large Corporate Client -- are Flat Price Fees for the Project(s) -- not Hourly and no translation to Salary is even practical. That may be the most sensible for you to start with. That way you could know your whole Project or Product Development Cost -- upfront.

To do that, it is best for YOU to start with a Clear Statement of Work (Listing the Major Objectives), Schedule, and Budget. (has little to nothing to do with Salaries, Overhead, and all the stuff you are going off-course towards). Then you can shop it around to find folks that can help you in your Schedule and Budget(s).

Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
TxDOT is more than willing to pay for 20+ year PE to manage their construction projects up to $100/hr. (>$200k/yr)
You follow his point was the difference between (Conventional W-2) "Salary" numbers and what it actually costs?

Within typical firms a $100 per hour Client Bill-out Rate -- (typical for a Civil "Staff" Engineer, listing?) -- the Engineer Salary might be about $80K per year (which looks like $40/hour on the surface), but one has to add along with the "desk" cost, matching SS, corporate liability insurance, health insurance, o/h, management, customer relations and sales, + bonus . . . on and on -- easily doubling that $40/hour to the $100/hour we observe for Client Bill-out rates.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:28 PM

504 posts, read 801,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You follow his point was the difference between (Conventional W-2) "Salary" numbers and what it actually costs?

Within typical firms a $100 per hour Client Bill-out Rate -- (typical for a Civil "Staff" Engineer, listing?) -- the Engineer Salary might be about $80K per year (which looks like $40/hour on the surface), but one has to add along with the "desk" cost, matching SS, corporate liability insurance, health insurance, o/h, management, customer relations and sales, + bonus . . . on and on -- easily doubling that $40/hour to the $100/hour we observe for Client Bill-out rates.
I meant the RAW rate. Believe me I underrated the OH rate and multiplier. So let me repeat TxDOT is more than willing to pay up to $100/hr RAW rate ($260/hr with our FAR audited OH rate and profit) for 20+ yr Civil Engineer for construction management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas