Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 AM

15 posts, read 20,882 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in the VA, i am currently living in Baltimore,Md. I got 3 kids. 1 college, 1 middleschooler and 1 elementary. What place would be the best to live with good schools, safe community and reasonable commute. I heard Sunnyvale is a good place, but the house prices are just over the roof. I was hoping to settle down in Dallas thinking the house prices are more reasonable. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:09 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
What's your budget for housing?
What do you consider a "reasonable commute?" Are you willing to take public transit?

The area surrounding the VA is bad, and you won't want to live there since you are looking for a safe community with good schools. Depending on your budget, and if you are willing to take the DART Rail to work, there are lots of other areas to look at, but they won't be very close to the VA.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Thank you for the accommodation Christie, im looking probably around 200-250 maybe. I heard the commutes really bad, but i really want my kids to go to good schools. Somebody here said something about Midlothian, is that a safe place to start with. How about Forney or Plano? Tnx

Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Midlothian has highly rated schools and not a bad commute to the VA. It had a terrible reputation that has kept housing prices low beause the concrete manufcaturing was polluting the air. They have resolved that issue and there is daily monitoring of the air now and housing prices and also building is exploding. But still it is a good value compared to any other communities with comparable schools.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Well, that's good to hear. Is it close to malls, restaurants, recreational parks and how about the crime rate? Hoping it would be a good turnout. Thanks for all the input guys.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearjerky View Post
Well, that's good to hear. Is it close to malls, restaurants, recreational parks and how about the crime rate? Hoping it would be a good turnout. Thanks for all the input guys.
All excellent! Crime rate is extremely low; and there is a huge shopping area about 10-15 min drive north on hwy 67 in Cedar Hill. I just bought a small older house right in the village area as in investment house there! It will be one of the only SFH rentals in town. There are some gorgeous properties in your price range.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:13 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Hello Tearjerky. We regularly receive inquiries from people working at the VA and looking for a place to live. While the neighborhood surrounding the VA isn't the best, there are decent options a little further out. The suburbs of southwest Dallas (Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, Glenn Heights) and northern Ellis (Midlothian, Waxahachie, Red Oak, Ovilla, Ferris) counties should be considered. All are within a reasonable commute to the VA hospital.

These VA-related threads contain detailed information that you might find helpful as well:

Dallas VA
Moving to Dallas in 2013
Best Place to live if working at VA Hospital
Safe affordable Suburbs around Irving, Arlington, Plano
Commuting to veterans hospital
Any good communities near Dallas VA hospital
Duncanville Dallas Texas

Hope this helps!

Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Thank you so much for the insights! If taking the DART, is Plano still not a good choice? Sunnyvale maybe? House prices are just crazy though.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearjerky View Post
Thank you so much for the insights! If taking the DART, is Plano still not a good choice? Sunnyvale maybe? House prices are just crazy though.
Plano is a TERRiBLE choice for VA work location, it will be over an hour on the DART rail and your budget will be extremely difficult.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Yeah, Plano to the VA would not be a good commute depending on your working hours. I can't comment on schools, but you might want to look at cities south of 161/George Bush Turnpike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas