Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM

8,217 posts, read 8,448,476 times

Advertisements

Steve Brown: Why finding housing in booming D-FW market is so difficult | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM

37,362 posts, read 60,132,534 times
“We won’t see the Dallas-Fort Worth homebuilding market get back to the 2005-06 level of 50,000-plus starts anytime soon,” said David Brown, senior vice president of housing analyst Metrostudy Inc. “The region’s population, household and job growth trends could support starts in excess of 40,000 homes during this cycle, but only if builders can deliver homes at prices the buyers can afford in the locations they want to live.”

Think that pretty much captures the problem---
Affordability in the locations they want to live---

Price, location, schools and access to other options...
That would be ranking order of priorities really--because people who want Southlake or Highland Park schools most often can't afford them...

Thinking we might put our house on the market--
Probably best time to sell because our location is not as desireable as Colleyville
We can put stuff in storage or cull/sell and live in FL for while in vacation house...
IF our son and his wife decide to stay in Dallas maybe we can buy duplex and they can live in one side and watch ours when we are out of town...

PS we bought house in Bedford in early 80s in time of growth and lot of competition--then prices stalled in Bedford for almost 25 yrs because there was little new construction to create upward trend...too many people buying in Keller or North Richland Hills where there was more open land and new construction is so attractive to most buyers who are new to an area...
Now I am seeing homes in Bedford that are priced over 325K and more than 15-20 yrs old...
NEVER thought I would see that...and they are flying off the MLS...even if there has been little updating...
I don't know if buyers are investing or buying to live in--but frankly it blows me away--
Not to say there is anything wrong with buying in Bedford or Euless or Hurst--
But those have not been "hot" areas for years...
I am really wishing we had waited to sell our house in Bedford until now vs 2 yrs ago--
We would have gained another 20-25% I think because ours had lot of updating...

Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,583,998 times
If ISDs like Irving and Mesquite would step up their game it would open up a lot of areas for young, educated, but not financially ready for a 300k+ home many more options.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
[b][i] “

Thinking we might put our house on the market--
Probably best time to sell because our location is not as desireable as Colleyville
We can put stuff in storage or cull/sell and live in FL for while in vacation house...
IF our son and his wife decide to stay in Dallas maybe we can buy duplex and they can live in one side and watch ours when we are out of town...
Its a great time but hold out for a cash sale - or refuse any sale contingent on the house appraising out -- because comps remain an issue. I warned a friend who listed a property recently to hold off on accepting offer until Monday (house listed on a Thursday). She has 3 offers by the next afternoon and really I wish she'd taken my advice.... She was so impressed by the overbids but now she will have to deal with appraisal. I think if she would have waited there may have been a cash offer.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:13 AM

What people don't always want to understand and risk is that the act of having young, educated people who WANT good schools move into areas where schools might be a little shaky is the BEST way to make those schools better--
Believe me--
Having educated parents who want good schools and are willing to vote and become active in local schools holds administrations accountable, puts tax money to better use, and puts kids who WANT an education because they get that impetus from their home situation and support into classrooms...
The only way to GET better schools is to have people living in those areas who won't accept bad schools...

Old 05-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
If ISDs like Irving and Mesquite would step up their game it would open up a lot of areas for young, educated, but not financially ready for a 300k+ home many more options.
Sooo true!! The Irving situation is truly pathetic considering the wealthy communities in Las Colinas that feed into Irving ISD -- of course those children attend private schools. Mesquite is more of a middle class area and schools are not as bad as Irving.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Its a great time but hold out for a cash sale - or refuse any sale contingent on the house appraising out -- because comps remain an issue. I warned a friend who listed a property recently to hold off on accepting offer until Monday (house listed on a Thursday). She has 3 offers by the next afternoon and really I wish she'd taken my advice.... She was so impressed by the overbids but now she will have to deal with appraisal. I think if she would have waited there may have been a cash offer.
Yes--think that is pricing strategy that lot of realtors/clients are falling back on...
Our son and DIL did that when put house on market in Denton--listed on Thursday-had open house on Sat--
Got 18 offers by Monday when they reviewed them in detail...
Didn't have all cash but had one w/more than 50% downpayment
They sold to couple who needed mortgage but paid over ask by like 15K---and appraisal came back 2K more than contract...
I was worried it might not have cleared but they had knowledgeable realtor and they priced relatively low to draw lot of lookers and bidding war...

We had guy in our neighborhood who is realtor who posted on neighborhood website that he had clients who wanted to buy in our neighborhood--were moving in from out of state--would be basically a cash sale--and they wanted to close by Christmas if they could...Posted before Thanksgiving--so that was a tight window...
We had considered downsizing w/o doing anything really so it intrigued us--
We sent PM reply and said maybe we were if price was right--
They were asking a lot IOO to have access at Christmas...
We texted a little---were on our way home from FL house--and he came over after we got back to walk through the house--sans any prepping for inspection...
His comments were designed to downplay the price/value we came to see after we got his "appraisal" which was for basically what we paid for the house...so we would have lost money after paying the realtor's fee--which he would have reduced since he was the only realtor...
We said no thanks--he wasn't acting in OUR best interests...and his next-door neighbors eventually sold to the clients...smaller house/lot so smaller price...and the sellers were original owners so know they had lower price point than we did...

Now he posted he has another client moving from Austin who wants to buy in our neighborhood...
Even if we wanted to sell would not contact him...

Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 AM

41,002 posts, read 49,448,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Sooo true!! The Irving situation is truly pathetic considering the wealthy communities in Las Colinas that feed into Irving ISD -- of course those children attend private schools. Mesquite is more of a middle class area and schools are not as bad as Irving.
Irving has an excellent Isd. It's the lower income students who barely speak English or lower income that bring the ratings of these districts down.

What you gonna do about the low and slow kids. Send them to Southlake?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,583,998 times
Irving has an excellent ISD?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Irving has an excellent Isd. It's the lower income students who barely speak English or lower income that bring the ratings of these districts down.

What you gonna do about the low and slow kids. Send them to Southlake?
Irving has awful schools; if in the Irving ISD. Irving homes servied by CFISD or Coppell are good.

I have friends who work in Irving ISD and friends who have kids in IISD. Awful. Political. Not serving the kids or community except in speciaized areas. I have a friend who is an Asst. Principal and another who is a school psychogist -- both working in IISD -- who hate the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas