Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM

287 posts, read 517,393 times

Advertisements

My middle school kids just asked me why they haven't been on even one field trip since we moved here 3 years ago (aside from the Collin County overnight program). We come from the northeast where all the kids we know of all glade levels o on multiple class trips per year -- kids in various states and districts. They go to museums, to Washington DC, even to Six Flags. Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Which middle school is this? That wasn't my kid's experience in PISD.

My kid went on several field trips during his MS years. They were mostly tied to specific courses, not the entire school. ( I dunno - maybe your kids need to take more interesting electives. )

His orchestra organized a trip to hear the Dallas Symphony Orchestra each year. His theatre class did a behind-the-scenes tour at a local theater, and also toured a local firm that does voice-over work for imported anime. His PACE class went to DT Dallas to the 6th Floor Museum one year, and to the DMA the next.

At the HS level, he's been on several out-of-town trips for competitions - San Antonio, Houston, and Chicago (twice). Classmates of his in band, orchestra, choir, speech, robotics, etc. have gone to Disneyworld (to perform), Galveston, Boston/Harvard, St. Louis, New York, and on and on.

I will note that these trips all had an educational purpose - they weren't just taking the kids out to ride the Super-Jumbo Coaster.

Granted, there was nothing as expensive or crazy as the East Coast or even international trips you'll find the private schools organizing.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
What school? That's not a PISD thing. I know they've taken field trips in MS to museums. and there's a group of 8th graders in DC starting today or tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 PM

75 posts, read 91,665 times
Limited budget and unlimited lawsuits made all school districts to limit field trips to minimum.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 PM

40 posts, read 81,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
Limited budget and unlimited lawsuits made all school districts to limit field trips to minimum.
Well that and they do not want students missing test drill time as those tests are more important than anything else.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 PM

75 posts, read 91,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljn1 View Post
Well that and they do not want students missing test drill time as those tests are more important than anything else.
That too. Public schools can't survive without government funding. Abolish Robinhood tax and free meal students if you want schools to ignore state testing.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
The funding cut several years ago severely limits the number of field trips that any classes take.

It used to be that all PISD 3rd graders were required to tour The Farmstead Museum in Plano. The budget cuts took that away. Even though the tour taught 3rd grade curriculum, there was no money for entry fees or busses.

The only middle school field trips I've heard of lately involved teachers applying for grant money and getting awarded a grant to make it happen.

Talk to our state legislators if you want school field trips. They control the purse strings and required testing for our students.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM

500 posts, read 583,675 times
Budget cuts really put a huge dent on the number of field trips for most districts.

Middle school and high school, the fine arts groups will tend to take more trips. UIL contests, Pre-UIL contests with clinicians, symphony performances, etc. Some even take "big trips" every year.

Time out from class is another reason less field trips than in years past.

Liability is another issue that has cut into the number of field trips allowed. Every time the students leave campus it raises the risk of an injury in an environment that is not controlled by the teacher, school or district. Be it a bus accident, a slip and fall on a slippery floor somewhere they are visiting, being bitten by a wild animal, insect, snake, etc. The districts wanted to lower their liability and that is one area they can do so.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:57 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
I grew up on the east coast too. Annapolis area. Our field trip list was quite extensive.
  • National Aquarium
  • Baltimore Science Center
  • Washington and Baltimore Zoo
  • Washington Monument
  • The National Mall
  • Various Smithsonian's
  • The Capital
  • Lincoln and Jefferson memorials
  • Gettysburg
  • St. Mary's City
  • Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg
  • Antietam
  • Science/nature camps

That's just what I can remember. Sad that kids these days miss out on stuff like that.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I grew up on the east coast too. Annapolis area. Our field trip list was quite extensive.
  • National Aquarium
  • Baltimore Science Center
  • Washington and Baltimore Zoo
  • Washington Monument
  • The National Mall
  • Various Smithsonian's
  • The Capital
  • Lincoln and Jefferson memorials
  • Gettysburg
  • St. Mary's City
  • Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg
  • Antietam
  • Science/nature camps

That's just what I can remember. Sad that kids these days miss out on stuff like that.
The field trip list around here never included any of those sites except for 5th Grade Collin County Adventure Camp. Too far.
Adventure Camp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas