Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:57 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
As others have stated, there's a good chance these "terrible drivers" are non-Texans. I see the dumbest moves both in the city and the suburbs. Lack of turn signals, U-turns from the far right lane, tailgating, highway speeds through residential streets, etc. I walk quite often in Uptown and I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit by a driver talking on the cell phone or making a fast turn. Even when I have the right-a-way and crosswalk signal!

These factors seem to combine to create poor driving habits here:

1. Large population increase -- more congestion, more irritability
2. Lots of transplants -- a lot of people uncertain where they are and many who've brought their poor driving habits with them from their previous locale.
3. Extreme car centric nature of the metro -- there's probably a good number of people driving here that would prefer not to, but are forced to due to how extremely vehicle dependent the city and metro is.
4. Poor infrastructure -- You see this more in the older cities and suburbs in DFW, but there seems to be a lack of maintaneance on existing roads. But boy do our transportation planners LOVE building new roads without taking care of existing ones.
I have all the faith in the world that native Texans are fully capable of exhibiting the same cluelessness in their driving habits as non-natives. Do you really think being born here gives one some form of immunization against being stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Duh. You're clearly a Green party driver.

Swing and a miss.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 PM

49 posts, read 68,635 times
It is pretty sad to see how rash and rude drivers can be on the road nowdays. The other day I was on 635 going on the faster lane at about 70 MPH and notice a pickup truck hurtling along behind me and as soon as he came close starting flashing his lights on me. I moved over after overtaking the next car on the right and as he passed me, I looked at who he was only to see a big middle finger pointing towards me. Talk about class!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 19,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrawl View Post
It is pretty sad to see how rash and rude drivers can be on the road nowdays. The other day I was on 635 going on the faster lane at about 70 MPH and notice a pickup truck hurtling along behind me and as soon as he came close starting flashing his lights on me. I moved over after overtaking the next car on the right and as he passed me, I looked at who he was only to see a big middle finger pointing towards me. Talk about class!
There's faster lane?
Thought every lanes are.....

Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM

37 posts, read 36,323 times
We just to Dallas last year from San Diego. Guess what's in the San Diego forum. The worst drivers in the nation?
My biggest complaint is drivers who pull out of parking lots with the front half of their car in the street, looking like they're waiting for a break in traffic to slide in. !%#$!#$! your car's front end is blocking my lane! Best is I hardly hear anyone honking. I guess everyone's 'upset' with the road conditions and freeway construction so they take it out on there fellow drivers.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:51 PM

111 posts, read 147,030 times
What gets me is the left turn to the far right lane which makes a person turning on red have to wait even though there may be three lanes to turn into....or the right turn to the farthest left lane.

On a highway, during traffic or during congestion, I understand sitting in the left, but other than that, it is a passing lane. Seems to be less and less known. Many a person get on the highway and immediately goes into the left lane and stays there. I don't get it.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM

198 posts, read 174,921 times
Frisco traffic is going to be nightmare after toyota/Chase etc move is complete. This city needs more public transport.
They are trying to expand the north tollway by one lane. But it's traffic is much more than that.
I think they should start train on tollway from Frisco to downtown Dallas.
Dallas needs more train/public transport than these tolls roads.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
Frisco traffic is going to be nightmare after toyota/Chase etc move is complete. This city needs more public transport.
They are trying to expand the north tollway by one lane. But it's traffic is much more than that.
Better yet, they need a DART line to the Airport.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
We don't need any of dem commie trains. Building solely for single occupancy vehicles is the way to go . What we should do is tear down a few neighborhoods in West Plano and Highland Park via eminent domain and build a 12 lane wide toll road through them. The Trinity Toll Road will also improve traffic flow to Irving. Stemmons Freeway can be widened as well. We should expand it through Dealey Plaza and demolish the Sixth Floor Museum. That will do the trick

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-29-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I have all the faith in the world that native Texans are fully capable of exhibiting the same cluelessness in their driving habits as non-natives. Do you really think being born here gives one some form of immunization against being stupid?
What I meant was that in many areas of the Metroplex, there are more non-natives than natives here. So you're likely going to encounter someone not from here. I'm not even a native born Texan. And of course I believe native Texans are fully capable of **** awful driving habits .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas