Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 13,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'd say closer to West Village/Cityplace is your best bet. Blackburn and McKinney are the main roads that go through it. Lemmon, Cole, and the western side of 75 are the boundaries. There's a bunch of patio bars along McKinney starting from the Lemmon Ave. intersection and ending around the Hall St. intersection. From there going south along McKinney, it's about a good 5-10 minute walk until you hit the main area of Uptown's nightlife (more patio bars, clubs, etc). One of the Katy Trail entrances is off of Blackburn St, which is about a ~5 min walk from West Village. Slightly north of Blackburn along McKinney is Cole Park. And speaking of music venues, the Rustic is a popular outdoor concert venue off of Lemmon near 75. Behind it, is a dog park/bar . Honestly I think this area satisfies walkability to bars, outdoor trails, parks, dog parks, and music venues the most in comparison to other parts of Uptown. Nightlife isn't as abundant in this area as it is in the middle section of Uptown, but you're close to some bars and about a 10-20 min walk from the heart of it all.
thanks for the tips, I walked into the Rustic when I visited the one day from online reviews. It was completely dead at the bar, I was the only one there, there was other people sitting at tables but not many.. but it was pretty early, like 6:30pm. Saw Mutts Cantina and the dog park too, thats a pretty cool spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:42 PM

So State and Thomas is an older crowd?

What about Victory park area? Anyone know about living around there? Saw some nice looking high-rise apt buildings online in that area. Also the new apt building above the Whole Foods on Mckinney looked decent.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
What didn't you like about Houston? Honestly, large metro areas are pretty much the same everywhere. The drywall and concrete is the same and the people are the same.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA777 View Post
thanks for the tips, I walked into the Rustic when I visited the one day from online reviews. It was completely dead at the bar, I was the only one there, there was other people sitting at tables but not many.. but it was pretty early, like 6:30pm. Saw Mutts Cantina and the dog park too, thats a pretty cool spot.
Most likely the day and time. On Friday and Saturday nights, it gets packed after 8 PM there. Check out their website for their concert schedule.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:02 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
Quote:
So State and Thomas is an older crowd?

What about Victory park area? Anyone know about living around there? Saw some nice looking high-rise apt buildings online in that area. Also the new apt building above the Whole Foods on Mckinney looked decent.

Gables McKinney, yes.

Noise from the bars across the street is an issue if you're wanting to sleep before 2AM on weekends. I looked at some of their units and while nice, it's not the spot on McKinney I wanted to be.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
What didn't you like about Houston? Honestly, large metro areas are pretty much the same everywhere. The drywall and concrete is the same and the people are the same.

I disagree. If you've lived in places like London, NYC, Chicago or LA, you'd know that people are not unilateral in major cities... And neither is the landscape. Every place has their own personality and vibe.

Houston is just sprawl to me. It's uninteresting.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
That is completely false. I have lived in Chicago, NYC, LA, Miami, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New orleans, San Diego and Houston was the most boring generic city I have ever lived in, by far. It is awful in my opinion. Nothing interesting there, people were dull, didn't do much of anything but sit around and drink beer, watch football and get fatter by the day. Humid. Traffic nightmare.

Everything there looks exactly the same, strip malls, and generic chain restaurants galore that goes on for like 50 miles in any direction. Who wants to go to a generic bar in a strip mall parking lot? That is what everyone does there. Ohh, or lets go to Chili's or Applebee's for dinner, there is one every 3 blocks. Just kill me now..

I am not expecting DFW to be a completely different world than Houston, I have spent enough time here to see it will be somewhat similar, but from what I have seen so far working here in DFW for 6 months (commuting from out of state every week), it is still substantially better than Houston and the people are better and friendlier by far. Not sure why, as it is only 4 hours away but there is a noticeable difference with the people and the more urban areas seem to have a lot more going on.

Now a married with kids, minivan driving soccer mom type that just sits around and does absolutely nothing but gabb with friends may love Houston, who knows, but as a single active guy, I sure didn't.

Last edited by AA777; 07-02-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 02:12 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
That is completely false. I have lived in Chicago, NYC, LA, Miami, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New orleans, San Diego and Houston was the most boring generic city I have ever lived in, by far. It is awful in my opinion. Nothing interesting there, people were dull, didn't do much of anything but sit around and drink beer, watch football and get fatter by the day. Humid. Traffic nightmare.

Everything there looks exactly the same, strip malls, and generic chain restaurants galore that goes on for like 50 miles in any direction. Who wants to go to a generic bar in a strip mall parking lot? That is what everyone does there. Ohh, or lets go to Chili's or Applebee's for dinner, there is one every 3 blocks. Just kill me now..

I am not expecting DFW to be a completely different world than Houston, I have spent enough time here to see it will be somewhat similar, but from what I have seen so far working here in DFW for 6 months (commuting from out of state every week), it is still substantially better than Houston and the people are better and friendlier by far. Not sure why, as it is only 4 hours away but there is a noticeable difference with the people and the more urban areas seem to have a lot more going on.

Now a married with kids, minivan driving soccer mom type that just sits around and does absolutely nothing but gabb with friends may love Houston, who knows, but as a single active guy, I sure didn't.
The Dallas suburbs (North of 635) could fit the description that you gave of Houston. You'll probably want to stay away from those areas.

I think Uptown would be a better choice. Some of this may depend on where you find work when you move here but you want to focus a job search around Dallas.

I can't imagine that you liked Salt Lake City all that much. Not known as a fun place if you are a single guy after like 23-25.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I can't imagine that you liked Salt Lake City all that much. Not known as a fun place if you are a single guy after like 23-25.
Actually, SLC, if you're active, fit and single, is an awesome place. I lived there for a year in my twenties... Had an absolute blast.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:55 PM

641 posts, read 802,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I used to live in NYC. FW is charming, but it is S.M.A.L.L. I know I would be bored there quickly as a young single professional. The social circles in FW are very small, very. Whereas Dallas is large enough that you'll always be meeting new people but not as anonymous feeling as NYC is.

I would live in Uptown or possibly Design District to keep your commute times down and then plan to hang out in the more laid back neighborhoods like Henderson Ave, Lower Greenville, Bishop Arts District, Deep Ellum/Expo Park, Ross Ave just east of 75, etc.
Another vote for this. Im familiar with both and although west 7th is nice, you'd be bored within months. If given the option, uptown wins out in this circumstance every time. West 7th is better for those whose source of income or school anchors them down to FW. You could venture off to more hot spots for singles in uptown D than west 7th FW as well. There are places to venture out in FW but the options are plentiful in Dallas and it has better logistics (more uber/lyft/taxis, public transportation, hetero or lgbt singles looking to mingle, etc)

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas