Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,086 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved to Dallas, TX and currently living in an apartment. The utilities I have to pay include water, electricity, and trash fee according to my lease contract. I just received my first utility bill, and there is an extra charge that I was unaware of, called "sewer charge". It's pretty much $20 on top of the $20 water charge. I've called my management, and they mention that it is part of the water charge.

I noticed that apartment leasing in Texas is more pain in the ***** than where I used to live, which is Iowa. Back home, the only thing you need is an ID, history of rent, and wages/salary. Here in Texas, you need renters insurance (required), utility established before moving in, etc. on top of that. I am just wondering, is the sewer charge a common practice in Texas apartment leases?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanime View Post
I've recently moved to Dallas, TX and currently living in an apartment. The utilities I have to pay include water, electricity, and trash fee according to my lease contract. I just received my first utility bill, and there is an extra charge that I was unaware of, called "sewer charge". It's pretty much $20 on top of the $20 water charge. I've called my management, and they mention that it is part of the water charge.

I noticed that apartment leasing in Texas is more pain in the ***** than where I used to live, which is Iowa. Back home, the only thing you need is an ID, history of rent, and wages/salary. Here in Texas, you need renters insurance (required), utility established before moving in, etc. on top of that. I am just wondering, is the sewer charge a common practice in Texas apartment leases?
I'm not aware of any water utility around here that does not charge a sewage fee. It's such that for some people who own homes it's best to have two water meters. One for the home that includes a sewage fee on each bill and one for the irrigation/sprinkler system that does not. The second meter install and plumbing can cost $1500-2500 bucks so there's a time horizon and usage metric that needs to make sense but we have two meters at our place and it's been a big winner for us.

The takeaway is your bill is right. Among other things renters insurance offers you a bit of protection if you do something really stupid and flood your neighbor or burn the place down and it protects your stuff. You need it. If I owned an apt. complex I'd require it for certain.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Some apartment complexes offer utilities - check the contract you signed.

I do not know where you moved from but in DFW it is "what come in has to go out". It really hurts when you have a sprinkler system.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanime View Post

I agree, renting here is a royal PITA. I am billed separately for pest control, trash, water/sewer, and some stupid bill processing fee. My water/sewer bill is about $30/mo total. I have no idea how the water is calculated because I didn't think apartments have meters for each individual unit. Here's why I think they do it: so they can scam people by saying "rent is only $900/mo". Then you get another $75 in charges tacked on every month.

The renters insurance isn't really a Texas thing. It seems like the nicer complexes in most states require it. Having utilities established before moving in is usually required in all places, so that's not Texas either.

I'm still complaining about rent prices here compared to when I lived in Missouri and Iowa! I pay almost double down here.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:39 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
I'm shocked that it costs more to rent an apartment in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States that currently has a shortage of available housing than it does in Iowa! Shocked, I tell you!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I'm shocked that it costs more to rent an apartment in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States that currently has a shortage of available housing than it does in Iowa! Shocked, I tell you!
Right, but us non-Texans constantly hear about how cheap Texas is. Couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe at one time it was cheap. But unless you live in BFE, Texas is probably on the list of top 15 most expensive states.

It costs double to live in the larger cities in Texas than it does anywhere in the Midwest (excluding Chicago).

Old 08-01-2016, 02:01 PM

631 posts, read 884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Right, but us non-Texans constantly hear about how cheap Texas is. Couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe at one time it was cheap. But unless you live in BFE, Texas is probably on the list of top 15 most expensive states.

It costs double to live in the larger cities in Texas than it does anywhere in the Midwest (excluding Chicago).
Rent prices in Dallas have soared in the past 5 years. It did used to be cheap compared to other metros, but it's not anymore.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
Quote:

Relative to other major cities of similar size, Texas is still cheap in the larger cities. It's unreasonable to expect Dallas or Austin to be comparable to Boise (or wherever).

Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:

What have been posting here for the last few years? Short commute, low rent/purchase, great schools, walkability, lots of green, hip, space, ... - pick three and then take a deeeep breath.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

That's just utter nonsense, the last part (and yea if you want me to do so I can prove it). Whatever your deal is with DFW let if go you'll feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: