Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times

Advertisements

The same could also apply to Texans flooding in Colorado, Arkansas, Oklahoma, even California for a better way of life. People will always complain.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Apparently this article confirms my observations from L.A. weekend traffic:

California added 63,000 jobs in August, 42% of U.S. total - LA Times

Supposedly 42% of new jobs in the U.S. this month were created in California. If this is true, then Texas and much of the U.S. is cooling down.
That's great news for The Golden State. I hope the job growth continues. Texas has reported it's job growth as well.
Quote:
Houston added 14,200 jobs in August this year with Texas adding at total of 21,700 the same month. Overall the state added 190,000 jobs this past year!
Overall I say Texas is doing very well.

Texas posts strong job growth while Houston continues slow rebound - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-18-2016, 05:13 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
I think most Californians and Northeasterners that are moving to Texas vote Republican. I think alot of the Californians are native Texans or former Texans who are moving back to Texas. My fear is they will take over Austin and turn it red.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think most Californians and Northeasterners that are moving to Texas vote Republican. I think alot of the Californians are native Texans or former Texans who are moving back to Texas. My fear is they will take over Austin and turn it red.
I think you're right. The super liberal Californians aren't going to move to Texas because they dislike everything Texas represents. The super liberal ones have already decided on taking over Colorado and Utah. Maybe Idaho too.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:01 PM

394 posts, read 435,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmint View Post
You know, there's a California hater element in Oregon too (where I lived before DFW).Why does everyone hate Californians moving to their state? Not all of us are horrible. Some of us just happen to have been raised in California through no fault of our own and had to leave for whatever reason. Sometimes life is like that. Not everyone is wealthy and making choices about where to live based only on culture and shopping etc. Everywhere has it's pros and cons.
There isn't and you are correct.. but the pretentious, two faced, fake Californian "stereotype" is probably true for about 80% of Californians you will meet, ESPECIALLY in the Dallas area (I never got that). It's almost as if they "expect" Dallas to be like the next LA or something and want to make it into it. So not only does it come off as pretentious and fake, but also ignorant and disrespectful for TRUE Texans who have grown up in the state all their life.

Imagine someone moving to your California neighborhood and making an arse of himself and basically "acting/think" like everyone is some surfer dude or something else ignorant.. trying to come off like how they suspect California is supposed to be. It's annoying, ignorant and disrespectful.

And that's why no one likes them... It gives everyone a legit reason to want to punch one in the face

I've said this many times, a true California transplant should go take their attitude to a typical East Texas town and see what happens

LMAO

Old 09-18-2016, 09:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think you're right. The super liberal Californians aren't going to move to Texas because they dislike everything Texas represents. The super liberal ones have already decided on taking over Colorado and Utah. Maybe Idaho too.

Good luck to them in Utah. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:01 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Good luck to them in Utah. That's not going to happen anytime soon.
Actually, the demographics have changed pretty dramatically in Utah and Salt Lake City proper in the last 30 years. It went from about an 80% Mormon majority to now 50% Mormon/50% non in SLC. Salt Lake City has an openly lesbian Mayor. Although statewide Mormons still make up 60% of the population that number is declining. It's estimated that Mormons will make up less than half of Utah's population in 2030. This decline is due primarily to transplants.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:19 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
That's one nice thing about living in colder states. Most Californians and other carpetbagging transplants would never consider living in Minnesota. I personally love communities with slow, but steady growth. There is enough growth to not make it feel like a dying rust-belt town, but the growth is slow enough to allow all industries to keep up.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is not a good attitude to have. Actually, it's one of the main reasons I want out of here. Most people who move here only care about jobs, cheaper home prices, and shopping. You never hear people say "man, I'd love to move to Dallas/Fort Worth because of the culture, diversity, and quality of life."

Instead, you only hear people bragging about the job market and cheaper housing. Sometimes I feel like this metro is nothing more than a glorified dorm for some people, almost like it's just a place to sleep and work.

When you go to a place like Minneapolis, you can really feel and see the difference. It's very evident that most residents are proud to live there. There is very little pride in DFW (besides Texas pride).
I wholeheartedly agree . There are some exceptions in Dallas such as Deep Ellum, North Oak Cliff, Lower Greenville, etc. where you'll find more of an organic, homegrown culture. The feel of those neighborhoods are a complete contrast to even Uptown. Austin has lost some of its originality, but its maintained its homegrown culture and community vibe way better than Dallas has. Dallas needs to stop being a doormat for outsiders. Although I'm a transplant, I did move here hoping for something a little unique to Dallas. It's sad at how bland and generic most of the city, metro, and people really are.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmint View Post
You know, there's a California hater element in Oregon too (where I lived before DFW).Why does everyone hate Californians moving to their state? Not all of us are horrible. Some of us just happen to have been raised in California through no fault of our own and had to leave for whatever reason. Sometimes life is like that. Not everyone is wealthy and making choices about where to live based only on culture and shopping etc. Everywhere has it's pros and cons.
I went to school out in Oregon, and saying there's a "California hater element" there is an understatement.

Anytime you have a (relatively) large influx of "outsiders" into an area, it breeds a certain amount of resentment. This happens even when it brings positive economic results (my longstanding joke was that Oregonians hate all Californians EXCEPT for the one who buys their house at a high price...but then they hate them a few weeks later when they look to buy another house and find out they're ALL selling at higher prices). Everybody wants, in theory, to live in a place that is a desirable location - good schools, strong economy, great shopping and restaurants, etc., but they usually want all that while still remaining a sleepy backwater with cheap housing, short commutes, lots of open spaces and "things staying the way they used to be".

Might as well wish for a unicorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas