Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM

439 posts, read 437,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
*Yawn*

There's more to a city than just retail. Why is Deep Ellum revitalizing? Why is there development around Klyde Warren Park and the Katy Trail?

Also, I don't think the whole world hates Dallas. Many people throughout the country don't know too much about the "real" personality of the city other than outdated stereotypes.
I'm arguing that the economy of Dallas and North Texas is focussed on retail and always has been!! People get deceived when they focus their attention upon empty skyscrapers thinking they will fill up just because they are built. Over a period of thirty years, all those skyscrapers that were built in downtown Dallas never filled up!!

North Texas today has the most diverse economy in the universe! It has the most dynamic economy in the United Statesas well! My argument for this situation is because of its focus on retail and how that more often than not becones the primary anchors for its developments. Screw the office space. It will come along with the retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 21,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
We work out our problems. When the drunkards in office scrap trillions of work to line their pockets with millions, we have lots of problems. When the racist out there on the farm is busy, he and she has less time to misbehave.

Why go through all the trouble of moving all the way back to California just so you can be nosey and interfere with our business in Texas? Just mind your own business.
Go back to California? Didn't realize I was from there but thanks for the advice regardless! And interfere with "your business"? What are you even going on about? lol

Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I'm half Greek and half bohemian Czech. I'm a white guy but on the darker side sort of like John Stamos. People confuse me for being Italian or Hispanic all the time. I'm discounting that racism exists but that a whole pervasive culture of racism that existed in the Jim Crow south is gone. All that's left are off color jokes and slurs said by ignorant people who aren't even in the majority. Texas cities are very diverse and you'd find the same amount of jerks in those cities as you would any other. That's my point. That there's nothing uniquely "racist" about Texas towns. My other point is that you're going to be moving from place to place trying to find true paradise because all cities are essentially the same these days. Dirty secret I've discovered about Southern California is how many hate groups are based here and I've seen similar off beat remarks regarding race and class (elitism) in the beach cities. That is truth not only about cities in America but a sad and gross fact about human nature.
But at the end of the day, you're still a white man and have the privilege of pretending these issues don't exist, so you're still dismissing and discounting the poster's experiences just because you've never directly experienced them for yourself. And you don't have the authority to dictate how Black, Hispanic, or Asian people might perceive things just because you can't relate. And all of your comments about coastal elites' moral superiority over Texas or evening out some sort of pride sounds like your own insecurities and projecting shining through.

True, the old Jim Crow style of racism no longer exists, but it isn't just "off-color jokes and slurs" that are left. It might be a lot more subversive, but the good ol' boy network/institutionalized racism still do exist for a lot of people, no matter how much you or others pretend that it doesn't. And at the end of the day, although Dallas is a large, diverse, major city, it's still in the middle of Texas and all the good and bad stereotypes that come with it, so like it or not, people are going to ask those types of questions no matter how 'tired' you might be of hearing them. Yes, a little research goes a long way towards avoiding this, but if I was a White Christian Conservative moving to either NYC or the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd ask if I would be able to find my niche in those cities just as much as an Atheist or a Vegan asks those questions when relocating to the Southern United States or an extrovert moving to Seattle. Despite the ongoing homogenization of American culture, there are stark cultural differences between the regions that many of these cities are in, and people who might not be a cultural 'fit' based on perceptions/stereotypes will want to know if they will be able to find their niche.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 21,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
We don't have to be so harsh. The person just gave their honest perspective, like asked.

Though, I did have a few nitpicks. This is acknowledging the fact that your experiences are mostly in the Fort Worth side while mine is on the Dallas side. Also, you are 100% correct about traffic.

1). I wouldn't say this is them being super-conservative. I'm, according to some Americans I met, a liberal and get along fine here, but that's besides the point. I hear just as many people here, in the suburbs of Dallas not the liberal core, rant on about Bush and Trump as I do see people rant about Obama. In fact, most people I know who rant about Obama also rant about Bush.

2) I think one major difference between California and Texas is how freedom of religion is interpreted. In California, you can be of any faith, or nonfaith, but it is looked down upon to talk about. In Texas, you can be of any faith, or nonfaith, and it is expected, almost encouraged, for people to share their beliefs. Speaking as a non-Christian of different faith. Although I do go to church because I enjoy the accepting/loving environment

3) Maybe this is an Asian American thing, but I faced so much more racism in California and Seattle than in Dallas that it isn't even a comparison. I know a lot of Asian Americans who have moved here from the West Coast and they seem to agree with me.

4) Personally, I hate Dallas weather, but it is miles ahead of California. The sun is always out and it hardly rains, much less storm. Though, to be fair, Seattle has the closest thing to ideal weather for me, among major cities, and it is on the West Coast.
So yea, you are correct. Dallas is not the same as Ft. Worth, but that happens to be what most of my experiences are from since Ive been here. I enjoy Dallas quite a bit more; its also more "diverse" and a bit more integrated, in my opinion.

1. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what people believe or if they think Obama is the devil incarnate. What I am bothered with is people seemingly going out of there way to tell me their, sometimes, ridiculous takes on politics. I simply don't care what you think, politically. I don't know why you would go out of your way to make unnecessary political statements- especially is a business setting.

2. So, heres the thing, Im from Atlanta and people there are nowhere near concerned about that kind of stuff. At least that has been my experience.

3. I was in Seattle not too long ago. I love that place. I am surprised that you faced that much racism considering that Asian Americans looked to be prevalent there. I have a couple of friends there that are Asian; I will ask them their opinions and see if they feel the same way.

4. I probably hate the weather here for a couple of reasons. One of them being I have a fairly lengthy commute (~100 mile round trip commute). So, when the weather is bad, I get to feel the brunt of it in my brand new coupe that after having to endure this wear and tear, no longer looks new. lol Also, never had to deal with hail before; didn't realize it does that as often as it does here. So, yea, I will concede that I didn't my homework on that one at least.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
But at the end of the day, you're still a white man and have the privilege of pretending these issues don't exist, so you're still dismissing and discounting the poster's experiences just because you've never directly experienced them for yourself. And you don't have the authority to dictate how Black, Hispanic, or Asian people might perceive things just because you can't relate. And all of your comments about coastal elites' moral superiority over Texas or evening out some sort of pride sounds like your own insecurities and projecting shining through.

True, the old Jim Crow style of racism no longer exists, but it isn't just "off-color jokes and slurs" that are left. It might be a lot more subversive, but the good ol' boy network/institutionalized racism still do exist for a lot of people, no matter how much you or others pretend that it doesn't. And at the end of the day, although Dallas is a large, diverse, major city, it's still in the middle of Texas and all the good and bad stereotypes that come with it, so like it or not, people are going to ask those types of questions no matter how 'tired' you might be of hearing them. Yes, a little research goes a long way towards avoiding this, but if I was a White Christian Conservative moving to either NYC or the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd ask if I would be able to find my niche in those cities just as much as an Atheist or a Vegan asks those questions when relocating to the Southern United States or an extrovert moving to Seattle. Despite the ongoing homogenization of American culture, there are stark cultural differences between the regions that many of these cities are in, and people who might not be a cultural 'fit' based on perceptions/stereotypes will want to know if they will be able to find their niche.
You should work for Buzzfeed with this type of SJW rhetoric. I was saying that there is little to no institutional racism that will have a major impact on someone's life in most American cities even in Texas. I wasn't trying to discount people's experience as being all in their head but to let them know that it shouldn't consume them and that they have rights to employ if any type of racism turns into a closed door at work or in public life. This isn't the 60s anymore.

Being in the middle of Texas means nothing to me in 2016 especially if it's in the middle of a major city like Dallas or even Ft Worth. And the swipe about projecting is spurious, I was merely pointing out that some in here feel the need to project their feelings so easily in such a disdainful way about Texas. They do it cus it's easy and they think people will just agree because they assume everyone thinks like them ie are all
Liberal.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturKing View Post
Go back to California? Didn't realize I was from there but thanks for the advice regardless! And interfere with "your business"? What are you even going on about? lol
Loving your neighbor doesn't mean that you have to relate with them. Just understand who the common enemy is. Your dog knows who this enemy is instinctively which is why it is always out there on the front line yacking its head off. In Texas, recent history has demonstrated that, when they get close enough to kill your dog, it is too late to protect your children.

That is why I'm always in here barking my head off.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You should work for Buzzfeed with this type of SJW rhetoric. I was saying that there is little to no institutional racism that will have a major impact on someone's life in most American cities even in Texas. I wasn't trying to discount people's experience as being all in their head but to let them know that it shouldn't consume them and that they have rights to employ if any type of racism turns into a closed door at work or in public life. This isn't the 60s anymore.

Being in the middle of Texas means nothing to me in 2016 especially if it's in the middle of a major city like Dallas or even Ft Worth. And the swipe about projecting is spurious, I was merely pointing out that some in here feel the need to project their feelings so easily in such a disdainful way about Texas. They do it cus it's easy and they think people will just agree because they assume everyone thinks like them ie are all
Liberal.
Isn't it odd that the greatest threat today towards minorities of the alternate color are other minorities of the alternate color? Sure, white racist Joe on the farm plowing the field, largely because of his and her lacking of any education in psycho babble obtained at a major university, stands as a threat as well. He is busy most of the time though. Seems to me the government is the one perpetuating racism by peddling the welfare that provides lots of free time when the people solve their problems by working them out.

Say what you will about the racist farmer, but at least he and she are out there working out problems.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Liberal.
And you should work for Breitbart with that typical Alt-Right talking point and attempt at a dismissal, so I guess we're even.

And of course people shouldn't let those sort of things get to their heads, so thank you for finally making a point. But people from the blue states on the coasts are going to ask those questions based on the unfair and fair stereotypes about Texas. It is what it is, whether it is 'meaningless' to you personally. However, I do agree that it is ridiculous that people have the stereotypes and perceptions of the 4th largest metropolitan area in the country though.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 10-07-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 03:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
And you should work for Breitbart with that typical Alt-Right talking point and attempt at a dismissal, so I guess we're even.

And of course people shouldn't let those sort of things get to their heads, so thank you for finally making a point. But people from the blue states on the coasts are going to ask those questions based on the unfair and fair stereotypes about Texas. It is what it is, whether it is 'meaningless' to you personally. However, I do agree that it is ridiculous that people have the stereotypes and perceptions of the 4th largest metropolitan area in the country though.
Well we aren't that far off from disagreeing. Fair enough points. People from other states will have their preconceived and outdated notions of the state based on media narratives which make Texas out to be the scapegoat of all the right wing ills in the country. Even if most of the problems it's accused of can be found in other states and that Texas has long shed a huge chunk of that past and is one of the most developed states in the country. But that doesn't stop someone's bias being confirmed by a few ignorant people they might encounter while in Texas. I mean for pete's sake, the poster is from Georgia. Are you telling me there are no issues in Georgia, Outside of ATL?

I just think that for some it comes easy to just bash and label because they may feel is socially acceptable to say that stuff about Texas. Even if it comes off as a bit elitist and sometimes rude.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well we aren't that far off from disagreeing. Fair enough points. People from other states will have their preconceived and outdated notions of the state based on media narratives which make Texas out to be the scapegoat of all the right wing ills in the country. Even if most of the problems it's accused of can be found in other states and that Texas has long shed a huge chunk of that past and is one of the most developed states in the country. But that doesn't stop someone's bias being confirmed by a few ignorant people they might encounter while in Texas. I mean for pete's sake, the poster is from Georgia. Are you telling me there are no issues in Georgia, Outside of ATL?

I just think that for some it comes easy to just bash and label because they may feel is socially acceptable to say that stuff about Texas. Even if it comes off as a bit elitist and sometimes rude.
I have family in Southern California and the Atlanta area. When I was living in Atlanta at the time, my aunt who's lived in and around Los Angeles - a city notorious for its racial issues - since the 1950s came down to visit her sister/my aunt who lives there. I was giving her a tour of Atlanta and we passed by Lenox Square (which is a semi-upscale mall in an upscale part of town), and my aunt asked me if it was true that Black people still weren't allowed to shop at that particular mall. This was in the mid-2000s, not in the 1960s. I only looked at her the same way I look at any elderly person who says something off the wall and gave a resounding NO, and quickly changed the subject. You know years later, she asked me the same damn question again?! People are going to believe what ever they want to, despite any evidence to the contrary...

Currently, I live in the DC Area, and I've had people ask me a lot of ignorant questions about life for black people in Georgia and if we got shot at or lynched once we left the confines of Interstate 285. And Georgia had its version of Vidor known as Forsyth County which prided itself on being a 'sundown town' well until the 1980s. I still remember when Oprah Winfrey filmed an episode there in 1987 and the local residents were proud of the fact that they ran the last black people out of the county back in 1912. This area is only about 30 miles north of Atlanta. Its a bit more integrated nowadays (It's 2% Black; 6% Asian; 9% Hispanic), but it still has a perception of racism among a lot of locals. I lived in a county right outside Atlanta that was about 20% African-American for a few years and I had friends and relatives from predominantly black sides of the metro who wouldn't visit me due to the county's reputation for conservative, right-wing politics and anecdotes from the 1970s and 80s.

My point in all of this? No, Texas is not the only Red/Southern State that has a lot of false, ignorant stereotypes, or people making rude, elitist remarks about the place. It's considered socially acceptable by many people to bash the South in general, Texas included. Interesting considering many northern states (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts) have way more racial issues than your average southern state, but perception goes a long way, and old memories die hard.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 10-07-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas