Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 8,318 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NY to Dallas in Nov and I recently visited Deep ellum and futura lofts. I didn't get a chance to ask any residents how they like the area or which loft building is more ideal. My concerns that I've read is that the area isn't the safest and the management company isn't very good. If anyone can give me insight into the management company and how they enjoy the area would be great. I'm 32 and single so I prefer the more urban lively scene as apposed to suburbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM

446 posts, read 846,300 times
You may have better luck w getting feedback from checking out apartment ratings dot com.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:07 AM

92 posts, read 162,526 times
There is definately nothing wrong with the area. don't know anything about the management company.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4anything View Post
My concerns that I've read is that the area isn't the safest and the management company isn't very good.
Maybe, 8 years ago the area was slipping to being wildly violent and there was a series of extremely vicious, skin head assaults after "who spilled my beer?" or "You 'dissed me!" uhmmm.... "discussions". There was also open air drug use, as well as hoards of aggressively panhandling homeless. A friend of a friend of mine had to sell his bar in the area as the area scared off decent customers who actually had money to spend.

Today, however, Baylor Hospital has created a health services / refurbishment boom in the area and safety seems to be the new normal. I have been there for a few festivals and just to walk around. I did not get any truly dangerous vibes on any occasion.

At a music / art festival I took my family to, there was no open air drug use, no unpredictable street people, drinking was very moderate, and the eclectic crowd was having a good time. If anything, Deep Ellum might be slated for eventual gentrification- I hope not though.

Last edited by Cryptic; 08-27-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
I've never met anyone that liked their apt manager.
There are some private rentals around as well.
Neat area, now better with less bars and more restaurants.
That changes the vibe.
Also nice transportation with DART light rail in place.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:45 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I truly didn't get a bad feeling while visiting there as well. I also like that it isn't far from downtown or uptown Dallas.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:47 AM

Is the area good for cycling? If not can anyone share which parts are ideal to cycle?

Old 08-28-2016, 03:52 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Though it has gotten better in recent years, Dallas isn't a great city for cycling.

Biking in Dallas: A survival guide | Dallas Morning News

Old 08-30-2016, 01:46 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built4anything View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I truly didn't get a bad feeling while visiting there as well. I also like that it isn't far from downtown or uptown Dallas.
I am not a downtown entertainment person. I did, however, watch the globally disappointing Pacquiao - Mayweather match there. From what I saw, I was not impressed by downtown Dallas after dark. If I had to pick either Deep Ellum or Downtown as a crime venue, I would bet quickly on Downtown.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I am not a downtown entertainment person. I did, however, watch the globally disappointing Pacquiao - Mayweather match there. From what I saw, I was not impressed by downtown Dallas after dark. If I had to pick either Deep Ellum or Downtown as a crime venue, I would bet quickly on Downtown.
You make a good point now that I think about it. I guess uptown or north Dallas is more ideal for entertainment at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas