Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:09 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,628 times

Advertisements

I guess it will be interesting to see the impact, but it's hard to see this overall "company move hype" from my perspective and seems to be quite an interesting time for Plano real estate in general.

As someone that's been toying with the idea of listing my home and upgrading a bit to try and shelter some of the continued expected price increases.. housing inventory is absolutely abysmal in West Plano. Even with our prospective budget, it is really a bit of an eye opener for me of how much it really goes. It feels like a large price point to me (at least at this point in my life and being a native Texan), but it really doesn't go very far anymore in the areas we grew up in we are quickly finding.

Many of the homes that we've seen(that look like they have not had any maintenance done (aesthetic or otherwise)) are asking basically the same pricing as a house down the street that recently sold that had been significantly remodeled or otherwise had some major maintenance done.

I had to have a sit down with my husband last weekend and told him if we were serious about moving into our "long-term" home that we should consider opening our search to a larger area. We will probably start opening our search to Lewisville ISD (Hebron/Castle Hills area) and more central Plano as well (Plano Senior zoned). My thought is these are still absolutely fantastic areas, but still close to West Plano restaurants and amenities. Frisco and north is an absolute no-go for us.

I'm sure many others in the market are thinking the same way, because the value of your $ does seem to be more of a night/day difference if you're willing to spread out from Plano itself.

On the other hand, our realtor keeps saying that we should find our next home first and then list our house because it will basically sell like hot-cakes (lower pricepoint homes that zone to WP schools). Yet we've seen a few houses in our neighborhood list recently. Some sell, most are sitting. And we're at a sub ~350-400K price point where you would think people would be falling all over themselves. Me thinks people are a bit eager and listing for more than they would expect to receive to test the waters of the spring market.

Hard to say what will continue to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 AM

165 posts, read 196,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
That's a huge win for Plano then. Get the tax revenue from a $15-20 billion dollar company and only have 50 employees moving in, so no one will be complaining about too many newcomers to the area.
That's not how it works, not only are we not getting any tax from them, we are paying millions to them for the move, expect your tax to go up again to fund this.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
That's not how it works, not only are we not getting any tax from them, we are paying millions to them for the move, expect your tax to go up again to fund this.
Uh huh.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
If you really believe the long term implications of this are negative from a tax perceptive you're just not capable of discussing economics in any reasonable way.

Call it ~50 Plano employees now. These estimates vary but let's assume the 50 jobs will directly cause a net new 15 jobs at other companies (vendors, contractors etc.) and support hundreds (plumbers, electricians, car sales people, doctors, nurses etc). Keep in mind Boeing Global Services is a very new spin off, over time that 50 number is almost certainly going to become hundreds.

All will pay property taxes directly or indirectly through taxes bundled into rents. All will pay local sales taxes.

At this point no one knows the entire incentive package Boeing will receive.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 AM

165 posts, read 196,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If you really believe the long term implications of this are negative from a tax perceptive you're just not capable of discussing economics in any reasonable way.

Call it ~50 Plano employees now. These estimates vary but let's assume the 50 jobs will directly cause a net new 15 jobs at other companies (vendors, contractors etc.) and support hundreds (plumbers, electricians, car sales people, doctors, nurses etc). Keep in mind Boeing Global Services is a very new spin off, over time that 50 number is almost certainly going to become hundreds.

All will pay property taxes directly or indirectly through taxes bundled into rents. All will pay local sales taxes.

It's the opposite, at this point no one knows the benefits if any at all but we sure knows the multi million tax dollars Boeing will receive.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
It's the opposite, at this point no one knows the benefits if any at all but we sure knows the multi million tax dollars Boeing will receive.

What we know is Plano and the state have experience managing relo. incentive packages. The state requires written employment projections and clawback verbiage for underperformance. Plano as well has a mayor and staffers who understand these things.

_________

Do you support the Toyota deal including incentives?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Agreed. It may only be 50 employees now but that will probably balloon to several hundred fairly quickly.

Not to mention, it's the CEO and upper management. These are all people making 6 figures, and in some cases, very probably 7 figures per year. That's a lot of discretionary income these people will have to pump into the local economy.

Having them here is going to increase the amount of money in play in the local economy, no question. That's always a good thing.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:
It doesn't sound like you have any experience with relos.

There will certainly be tax breaks given to Boeing here. But if you can't see any benefits of this move for the local economy then you really don't have a grasp of economics. Plano's got a proven track record for enticing business to North Texas, and their city budgets are not bleeding red. In fact, other suburbs have higher property tax rates than Plano does. I've been in the middle of a few relos in my day, and the fact is, a relo only works if it's good for BOTH parties. Plano doesn't have to sell the farm to entice Boeing here, and they know it. There's no shortage of companies looking to move here while the getting is good, and Boeing knows that too.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:18 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
It doesn't sound like you have any experience with relos.

There will certainly be tax breaks given to Boeing here. But if you can't see any benefits of this move for the local economy then you really don't have a grasp of economics. Plano's got a proven track record for enticing business to North Texas, and their city budgets are not bleeding red. In fact, other suburbs have higher property tax rates than Plano does. I've been in the middle of a few relos in my day, and the fact is, a relo only works if it's good for BOTH parties. Plano doesn't have to sell the farm to entice Boeing here, and they know it. There's no shortage of companies looking to move here while the getting is good, and Boeing knows that too.

With the huge yearly increases in appraisals that's not very difficult to achieve.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Great news for Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas