Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,184,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The H1B program should be eliminated for low and mid-level tech workers, that's for sure. We are producing more than enough of our own people to fill those positions.
Agreed.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:26 AM

158 posts, read 181,462 times
Quote:
The H1B program should be eliminated for low and mid-level tech workers, that's for sure. We are producing more than enough of our own people to fill those positions.
^ I sincerely hope the current H1B overhaul addresses this.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 288,701 times
While eliminating mid-level (not sure how you define that) tech workers seem like a good idea on the surface, having more skilled tech workers only fuels the innovation. People on H1Bs only receive about 6% of the annual green cards. Most of the rest go to non-skilled categories - family, diversity etc. So instead of "eliminating" mid-level tech workers, it'd be better to give more green cards to skilled people.

H1B is not perfect. But it's certainly fixable. Currently, tons of people on H1B (1M+ if you count the families) are stuck in a green card backlog. People who've been here for 10+ years. Changing jobs is very difficult while you're in that situation and this ends up driving down the wage and promoting further abuse. Employers are incentivized with "loyal" employees who can't leave and they don't even have to give them any pay rise.

If H1Bs received more than 6% of the green cards, that'd result in higher wages for all as the workforce will be further mobilized. Employers won't have any incentive to bring over low paid workers if those workers could easily switch to a higher paying job.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM

158 posts, read 181,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
While eliminating mid-level (not sure how you define that) tech workers seem like a good idea on the surface, having more skilled tech workers only fuels the innovation. People on H1Bs only receive about 6% of the annual green cards. Most of the rest go to non-skilled categories - family, diversity etc. So instead of "eliminating" mid-level tech workers, it'd be better to give more green cards to skilled people.

H1B is not perfect. But it's certainly fixable. Currently, tons of people on H1B (1M+ if you count the families) are stuck in a green card backlog. People who've been here for 10+ years. Changing jobs is very difficult while you're in that situation and this ends up driving down the wage and promoting further abuse. Employers are incentivized with "loyal" employees who can't leave and they don't even have to give them any pay rise.

If H1Bs received more than 6% of the green cards, that'd result in higher wages for all as the workforce will be further mobilized. Employers won't have any incentive to bring over low paid workers if those workers could easily switch to a higher paying job.
Stopping the flood of cheap, low-skilled tech labor from India, China will also save the labor pool from further dilution.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
^ I sincerely hope the current H1B overhaul addresses this.
It won't. They'll figure out a way around it very easily.

Quote:

I don't think you understand what an H1B actually is. It's a non-immigrant visa. People on an H1B may eventually apply for a green card, or they may not.

Green cards have NOTHING whatsoever to do with H1B visas. Nobody said anything about eliminating or reducing green cards (another conversation for another forum). We're only talking about H1B visas.

FWIW, I don't care about anyone stuck in the green card backlog who isn't the spouse of a US citizen or the minor child of a US citizen...and they generally don't get stuck in the backlog because they do not have to wait for a visa number (look it up) in order to have their application processed.

So yeah...don't care about the backlog. USCIS is self-funding. If they want to hire more people, they have to raise visa processing fees. American taxpayers should not pay for immigrants to get visas. Ever.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand what an H1B actually is. It's a non-immigrant visa. People on an H1B may eventually apply for a green card, or they may not.
On the contrary, I know way more about H1B than you do. While it's a non-immigrant visa, it's a dual intent visa. Go look it up. And H1B -> EB2/EB3 is by the far the most common way skilled people immigrate to the US. Even those with the masters degree.

Quote:
Green cards have NOTHING whatsoever to do with H1B visas. Nobody said anything about eliminating or reducing green cards (another conversation for another forum). We're only talking about H1B visas.
If you think green cards have nothing to do with H1Bs, you either have your head buried in the sand or you are being intellectually dishonest. On one hand, you argued that a lot of people come to study in the US only to immigrate here. On the other hand, you have absolutely no idea how they actually do it (F1 -> OPT -> H1B -> EB2).

Old 04-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
So yeah...don't care about the backlog. USCIS is self-funding. If they want to hire more people, they have to raise visa processing fees. American taxpayers should not pay for immigrants to get visas. Ever.
The green card backlog also has NOTHING to do with USCIS's ability to process the visa. Please do yourself a favor and read up on green card chargeability. Might help you explain your ignorance a little better.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I know way more about H1B than you do. While it's a non-immigrant visa, it's a dual intent visa. Go look it up. And H1B -> EB2/EB3 is by the far the most common way skilled people immigrate to the US. Even those with the masters degree.

If you think green cards have nothing to do with H1Bs, you either have your head buried in the sand or you are being intellectually dishonest. On one hand, you argued that a lot of people come to study in the US only to immigrate here. On the other hand, you have absolutely no idea how they actually do it (F1 -> OPT -> H1B -> EB2).
Quote:
The green card backlog also has NOTHING to do with USCIS's ability to process the visa. Please do yourself a favor and read up on green card chargeability. Might help you explain your ignorance a little better.

I know exactly what an H1B is, I don't need an education from you.

I know how students get here.

You stated that the USCIS has a backlog of green card applications to process, implication being that it's bad. It isn't.

I know how long it takes people on H1Bs to get green cards and that wait times vary for nationals of different countries.

I also don't care.

We don't owe anyone a visa and I don't feel sympathy for people trying to immigrate here. Our system is far more generous and permissive than in many western nations. Our nationality laws are especially unusual.

If you're trying to change minds, you're failing at it. Hard.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what an H1B is, I don't need an education from you.
Your lack of knowledge on the subject, contradictory arguments and incoherence suggested otherwise.

Quote:
If you're trying to change minds, you're failing at it. Hard.
I'm not.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:44 PM

445 posts, read 415,240 times
While I appreciate BigDGeek's opinion on general matters around DFW, I am having a hard time with these comments. US is not just another western country, almost everyone or their ancestors immigrated here at some point. I don't think it's now fair to say that since we are already here, let's pretend further legal immigration is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas