Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
I am only talking about masters Aspect,not BS you wont find that many candidates from India doing BS,maybe things changed now,but majority of them are here for masters .Rice maybe well ranked but its not known in India like Harvard or Stanford or MIT.We are talking mostly electrical engineering and Computer sciences. At SMU we had like less than 10 compared to 100 or so in masters.
They do it because they want a backdoor to immigrating to the US. I've had many coworkers who came here via the "get a US master's degree" method. They also went to non-ranked programs at no-name schools.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
I am only talking about masters Aspect,not BS you wont find that many candidates from India doing BS,maybe things changed now,but majority of them are here for masters .Rice maybe well ranked but its not known in India like Harvard or Stanford or MIT.We are talking mostly electrical engineering and Computer sciences. At SMU we had like less than 10 compared to 100 or so in masters.
All sorts of poor decisions are made because people lack solid information.

1). The gap between Harvard and UT's graduate engineering programs is arguably more pronounced than undergrad.

2). According to US News (BTW these US News rankings are mostly from peer input which is probably the best way to do it)
Harvard top ten graduate engineering programs - none
UT - PE - 1, Civil - 4, Environmental - 4, Chemical - 6, Electrical - 8, Aerospace/Aeronautical - 8.
A&M - Biological - 2, PE - 3, Nuclear - 4 and a bunch of programs ranked between 10-15.

3). UT #9 and A&M #11 both rank higher in graduate engineering than Harvard #23. As a matter of fact UT and A&M graduate engineering are ranked higher than all Ivy graduate engineering. My guess is very few Texans know that. And even fewer people with Ivy fever know that

Old 04-10-2017, 11:03 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
LOL. UT is huge, graduates thousands every year. There is no way, anyone can beat them in polls based on "peer input".

Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM

317 posts, read 239,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They do it because they want a backdoor to immigrating to the US. I've had many coworkers who came here via the "get a US master's degree" method. They also went to non-ranked programs at no-name schools.
i dont think ,they do it as backdoor method,its very cheap to do bachelors degree in engineering,the fees for most of the state engineering colleges is cheap its close $1000 a semester,http://jntuhceh.ac.in/uploads/Fee_Pa...17_EvenSem.pdf

Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That reflects negatively on our lax policies then their will to use a perfectly legal way to succeed in life.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
LOL. UT is huge, graduates thousands every year. There is no way, anyone can beat them in polls based on "peer input".
Is that supposed to be funny?

Peer in this case means school deans..........not students for crying out loud.

Here's the methodology in full.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ls-methodology

Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM

201 posts, read 237,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The shortage of well educated techie/STEM types is real.
It is not.

The shortage is caused by laziness, greed and lack of willingness of employers to invest in they employees.

At entry level, they simply don't want to give opportunity to "real" fresh out of college grads. When they change technology in name of modernization, they simply don't want to train existing Cobol developers on Java/Go (newer technologies). This truly boggles my mind as to why would they be willing to let go all the domain expertise their existing employees have only to build some shiny new software that does not even work...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
i dont think ,they do it as backdoor method,its very cheap to do bachelors degree in engineering,the fees for most of the state engineering colleges is cheap its close $1000 a semester,http://jntuhceh.ac.in/uploads/Fee_Pa...17_EvenSem.pdf
You missed my point. It is absolutely a backdoor to the H1B lottery. Some of them admitted it was the only reason they did a master's degree in the US. They had to go to no-name schools because their test scores were low. One of them had to take the TOEFL multiple times to score high enough to go to night school in Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
That reflects negatively on our lax policies then their will to use a perfectly legal way to succeed in life.
We should close that loophole, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethisarea View Post
It is not.

The shortage is caused by laziness, greed and lack of willingness of employers to invest in they employees.

At entry level, they simply don't want to give opportunity to "real" fresh out of college grads. When they change technology in name of modernization, they simply don't want to train existing Cobol developers on Java/Go (newer technologies). This truly boggles my mind as to why would they be willing to let go all the domain expertise their existing employees have only to build some shiny new software that does not even work...
LOL...tell me about it. I'm dealing with the fallout from an application written by an outsourced group, comprised mainly of people from China and India. It is some of the most atrocious code I've seen in a while, and clearly whoever wrote it has no understanding of how SQL Server's query engine actually works. This code gasps along like a 1984 Le Baron going uphill and takes 30 seconds to return a single scalar value. Pathetic. (If you think the database is bad, you ought to see the rest of it. It's way worse.)

You will never convince me that we HAD to give those people jobs because Americans couldn't do this.

Give me 2 weeks and I could have trained some bright high school kids with above-average IQs how to do this better than these "highly skilled" foreigners did.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethisarea View Post
It is not.

We are talking about two different things. Read the report I linked above.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:48 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It has to be a myth. It's tautological. You'll always get exactly as many workers as you're willing to pay the market rate for. Why do you call it a worker shortage instead of a compensation shortage?
That is an excellent question - one that the media ought to ask more frequently, when skinflint employers come to them with sob stories of crops (laundry, database apps, etc.) "rotting in the fields" due to the so-called "worker shortage."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-l...ers-1489483811
Understanding the Economic Impact of the H-1B Program on the U.S.
http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/pubs/pdf/rr16-857.pdf

From the paper:
In the absence of immigration, wages for US computer scientists would have been 2.6% to 5.1% higher and employment in computer science for US workers would have been 6.1% to 10.8% higher in 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas