Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times

Advertisements

Hi Dallas peeps,

Just as the title of this thread asks,

1. If WWIII happens - Any bunkers/tunnels/safe areas for shelter in or around Dallas?
2. Are there any safe areas with arable land, wildlife, fresh potable moving water and natural shelter outside the city?
3. Where would you go?
4. What supplies would you get to prepare for something like this?

I realize its a pretty extreme topic and hopefully one that never plays out but in todays increasingly unstable world, one just never knows.

While I personally would not hope to survive a nuclear blast and it might not ever come to that, it would be nice to know some safe areas of refuge where one can grow crops, having streams of fresh water and have natural shelter just in case (escaping a nuclear blast or moving away and surviving during conventional warfare or another major catastrophe such as destruction of our electric grid).

While a nuclear blast is less likely, an attack to take permanently out our electronics and grid (EMP blast or a hack) seems more likely. This would devastate the whole country, not just the a specific area.

More and more countries today oppose the US and even seem hell bent on its destruction. The world is an increasingly unstable place. More and more countries have the power to demolish countries with just the push of a button. Countries seem to be aligning on both sides. Things look eerily similar now as to how things looked right before WWII.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
The soil in Dallas isn't very good for basements, so I doubt it would work for underground shelters.

If WWIII broke out, I'd rather live in a place like Wyoming. Few people, beautiful views of nature, and lots of land to grow crops.

Actually, if WWIII did break out, I'd just go live somewhere in Europe. Preferably a country that doesn't get involved in international conflicts every day of the week.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:09 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,692 times
Downtown Dallas has a small network of underground tunnels linking foundation level high rise buildings. It's not much of a secret. There are employees using it for lunch and for walking around.

If Russia launches nuclear attacks and penetrated missile defense, you can go down there for lunch.

https://youtu.be/bIdYV6FzkcI?t=35

Last edited by 6oo9; 04-08-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Actually, if WWIII did break out, I'd just go live somewhere in Europe. Preferably a country that doesn't get involved in international conflicts every day of the week.
Actually, if WWIII is to break out, it is more likely begin in Europe (or the Middle East) than in the U.S.
Currently, Europe is being invaded by a force of fighting age men who have no intention of assimilating or even working. The "refugees" are procreating at such a fast rate that they will outnumber the Europeans within a generation.

How long are native Germans, French, Swedish, English etc. supposed to sit idly by and watch their wives and daughters raped with the perpetrators getting nothing more than a slap on the wrist? Are you aware that the national Germans are being forced out of their homes to make room for the "refugees"? In many parts of Europe, there is no free speech to protest what is happening.

Brexit is the hope for the British; Marine le Pen is the hope for the French. Eastern European countries like Poland and Hungary are wisely exercising self-preservation and not accepting the overrunning of their culture and peoples.

The premise in the OP's original question is wrong. Many countries may "hate us", but we still have among the most lethal military capability in the world. Some countries will wisely recognize that mutual assured destruction is not in anyone's best interest. If the U.S. does not lead, another country will step into fill the power vacuum with even less desirable results.

OP, I do think there is a section on here related to prepping; you may want to look into that. I would never want war, but as the saying goes "I'm not afraid to die, because when I get to heaven I will meet Jesus and Elvis."

Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 7,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Actually, if WWIII is to break out, it is more likely begin in Europe (or the Middle East) than in the U.S.
Currently, Europe is being invaded by a force of fighting age men who have no intention of assimilating or even working. The "refugees" are procreating at such a fast rate that they will outnumber the Europeans within a generation.

How long are native Germans, French, Swedish, English etc. supposed to sit idly by and watch their wives and daughters raped with the perpetrators getting nothing more than a slap on the wrist? Are you aware that the national Germans are being forced out of their homes to make room for the "refugees"? In many parts of Europe, there is no free speech to protest what is happening.

Brexit is the hope for the British; Marine le Pen is the hope for the French. Eastern European countries like Poland and Hungary are wisely exercising self-preservation and not accepting the overrunning of their culture and peoples.

The premise in the OP's original question is wrong. Many countries may "hate us", but we still have among the most lethal military capability in the world. Some countries will wisely recognize that mutual assured destruction is not in anyone's best interest. If the U.S. does not lead, another country will step into fill the power vacuum with even less desirable results.

OP, I do think there is a section on here related to prepping; you may want to look into that. I would never want war, but as the saying goes "I'm not afraid to die, because when I get to heaven I will meet Jesus and Elvis."
Short of some small political changes, I don't see anybody doing anything. There is no organization. Just lonely lives of bitter frustration, impotent and powerless to change anything. As you said, there is virtually no free speech in Europe as well. What exactly do you think they will do outside of the political process? Pick up a knife? Charge a police station? Stake out the politician who is responsible? Jail time and they die in prison. People here in the USA say, "the Europeans will do SOMETHING at SOME POINT...", but they're kidding themselves. Europe is a virtual dictatorship and the prospects for its' people look fairly bleak.

As for OP's question, if nuclear war actually broke out, you would have very, very little advance notice, if any at all. Our enemies aren't like Obama, giving out week-long advance notices of airstrikes. A nuclear strike would come completely out of the blue and either decimate our cities or some of the missiles would be shot down. But I don't think that will happen in the short term. Other countries think Trump is an unpredictable wildcard and are leery of doing anything like that.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFeinstein View Post
Short of some small political changes, I don't see anybody doing anything. There is no organization. Just lonely lives of bitter frustration, impotent and powerless to change anything. As you said, there is virtually no free speech in Europe as well. What exactly do you think they will do outside of the political process? Pick up a knife? Charge a police station? Stake out the politician who is responsible? Jail time and they die in prison. People here in the USA say, "the Europeans will do SOMETHING at SOME POINT...", but they're kidding themselves. Europe is a virtual dictatorship and the prospects for its' people look fairly bleak.
Agree that for countries like Sweden and Germany it's probably too late already. I wonder though if there will be some kind of clash between Germany and pro-EU countries trying to force "immigration" quotas on countries like Poland and Hungary? I also wonder if Merckel is trying to build up a fighting force to take on Russia. Eastern Europe could become (maybe already is) a hotbed once again.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Closed for mod review

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: