Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,626 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Dallas. Suggestions?

Just moved to Dallas for a job opportunity. Living with friends while I look for a rental and could use some advice:

- Best parks? Best place to be on the 4th of July? Best bbq?

- Any places to cool off?

- What do I need to know before renting an apartment here?

- Neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Where is your job located?
How long of a commute are you willing to make?
What's your budget for housing?

Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,862 times
1. Arboretum, indoors, [lockharts, pecan lodge, meshacks, 18th&Vine]
2. indoors
3. get a North facing unit
4. https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...map-of-dallas/

snark aside, there are a lot of small, public parks that are quite nice all over the city. I've been to all of the major 4th of July events around here and Fort Worth puts on the best show imo. BBQ is everywhere but the best is from my own smoker. Addison is good but only if you know someone in one of the surrounding highrise offices to use as a viewing location. For cooling off, find a friend who has a boat and/or swimming pool.

Rent a place close to work. It's where you will be spending most of your time and everything else is really easy to get to when the need arises.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Where is your job located?
How long of a commute are you willing to make?
What's your budget for housing?

- job is downtown
- would be nice if i could walk/bike to work, but that's not a thing in texas is it? If I'm driving with the a/c on, not that worried about a long commute but would prefer to avoid stand-still traffic.
- housing budget is $900-$1,000 per month

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Also, what's the live music scene like?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishriver View Post
- job is downtown
- would be nice if i could walk/bike to work, but that's not a thing in texas is it? If I'm driving with the a/c on, not that worried about a long commute but would prefer to avoid stand-still traffic.
Ouch. Where's your job? That's a pretty small budget, though you'll be able to easily find something in Garland, Mesquite, or much of Dallas County south of 30.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
In good neighborhoods close to downtown, your budget will be a challenge but not totally impossible. If you find something acceptable, don't wait too long or it will be gone.

You may find something near Greenville Ave. And that's a fun place. There are some/few small rentals once in a while in that price range. Drive around the neighborhoods near Trader Joe's on Greenville.

Also check out The Village near Lover's/Central(75) or even apartments along Greenville and Lovers near Whole Foods. You could ride your bike to the Lover's or Mockingbird DART rail station to easily go downtown.

This one will go very fast; look at the listing and also "similar homes for rent" to get a feel for what else is in that price range.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...93529519_zpid/

Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,468 times
Quote:
- job is downtown
Your budget is tough, but not impossible for something in a nice part of North Oak Cliff or West Dallas. It's south of I-30 which some people think might as well be the ghetto, but they are actually quite nice neighborhoods. They'd also allow you to bike to work downtown in most weather. When it's just too hot to bike, you could bike to a streetcar stop and take that the rest of the way to Union Station. It's also very close to The Kessler Theater which is a great live music venue.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
- job is downtown
Walking or biking to work won't be an option when it's 100 degrees out unless you live within a 5min walk to work.

Your housing budget is very low for Dallas. You'll probably have to live in a suburb like Irving or Arlington to find decent rentals in that range.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,468 times
Quote:
Also, what's the live music scene like?
Pretty solid, but it depends where you're moving from. It leans heavily towards EDM & Heavy Metal, but there's really a mix of everything here. Lots of venues, big and small. Denton has more of an indie rock scene, but Deep Ellum in Dallas has it all (the most eclectic mix). If you want country music, Fort Worth is better for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas