Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM

283 posts, read 327,899 times

Advertisements

A few questions for those that do

1. What's the social/dating/cultural scene like for young black professionals?

2. What's the racism like? I understand there's a lot of people in TX who hate "liberals" and "political correctness". We all know what that means.

3. What's the culinary scene in DFW like? All BBQ/Mexican or is there real diversity? Soul restaurants? Vegan spots?

4. Any hip hop clubs?

5. Any gun ranges where black men can feel comfortable at?

6. Are there metro/city areas for young black professionals or are they pretty much relegated to suburbs?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,105,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post

2. What's the racism like? I understand there's a lot of people in TX who hate "liberals" and "political correctness". We all know what that means.

3. What's the culinary scene in DFW like? All BBQ/Mexican or is there real diversity? Soul restaurants? Vegan spots?

4. Any hip hop clubs?

6. Are there metro/city areas for young black professionals or are they pretty much relegated to suburbs?

Thanks in advance!
I'm going to save you a lot of trouble and everybody who wants to respond to this thread a lot of time: Just skip DFW and move to Houston. It's way better for all the things that you listed and asked about (things to do for young black professionals, cultural diversity and a wider and better variety of food choices, racial tolerance).

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-09-2017 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:

I'm not a young black professional, but there are a lot around me here in the north-Dallas suburbs (which is where the jobs are for young professionals), and they are pretty glad to be here.

Quote:

Less oppressive than, say, Chicago. Not noticeable, actually.

Quote:

Quite a lot of Asian, Mediterranean, middle eastern, and south Asian. You realize, don't you, that "soul" food is merely southern food--and there is a lot of southern food around here. There are some vegan and vegetarian spots as well.

Quote:
4. Any hip hop clubs?

I can't speak to that--more of an old-school R&B guy myself.

Quote:

The gun culture here is "If you like guns, you're welcome to our culture." I've been warmly welcomed in all the ranges around here that I've visited--which wasn't the case in Illinois, Nebraska, or Ohio.

Quote:

The job opportunities are in the suburbs.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,186 times
Quote:

4. Any hip hop clubs?

Thanks in advance!

1.) The dating scene is "OK." Assuming you're male (and straight), if you prefer black women, you'll have plenty of options, though there's no single place where they congregate since young Black professionals live all over the city. I'd suggest combining online dating with traditional church/club/hobby meetups for the best results.

If you don't have a strong racial preference, your success will depend largely on the connections you make with black AND white women. The Asian population (east and south Asian) either marries within its' group or to whites almost exclusively. Latinas in general are fairly open minded in most parts of the country, but you don't have Dominicans or Puerto Ricans here. Mexican/Mexican American girls, like Asian girls aren't always worth the trouble due to conflicts with their families. White men get way more mileage from those groups all things being equal.

2.) It's difficult to judge DFW racism since so many people aren't even from here. As a Dallas native, the true blue Good Ol' Boys are dying out, but they aren't any worse than ethnic whites up north....probably better in many ways and much more polite. Classism is a bigger deal than racism here. Dallas natives worry less about your color and more about your family name, the schools you went to, your profession etc. Transplants from up north are often the ones that seek homogeneous enclaves in the northern suburbs. The idea of their kids attending a school that isn't 90% white is terrifying! You'll notice plenty of dog whistling on these forums as people mention "test scores" and "parental involvement."

3.) You've come to the right place. DFW isn't a BBQ mecca. You'll find much better 'Que in Houston, Austin, East Texas etc. There are lots of food options if you're adventurous. Indian, Korean, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex (yes, there's a big difference between Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex and most transplants get confused thinking that Texans don't know the difference...we do). There are some pretty good Ethiopian, Mediterranean and Soul Food spots. Definitely do your research, but you can find a good version of just about any cuisine in the area. Don't go off the 'name' of a restaurant. Some places will have the rep, but not be nearly as good as a slightly lesser known spot.

4.) Stone Trail is alright for the 30+ crowd but is more R & B. If you're looking for young black professionals, check out Uptown and Addison's bars. Hip-hop clubs are hit/miss here as Dallas doesn't embrace rap music the way H-Town or ATL does. I'd suggest googling clubs and visiting them in person to see if the vibe works for you. Do you want a club chock full of Howard and Spelman grads dressed to the nines listening to The Weeknd, or do you want a club where half the brothas are "moving weight" and putting in work while listening to Trap music?

5.) I'd have to ask my father's relatives. They are avid firearms enthusiasts since they're from the country. You'll probably be in the minority at any gun range in TX, but I wouldn't expect any issues. The gun-totin' types are very 'live and let live' Libertarian sorts that won't care a lick if you're a brotha.

6.) Uptown and University Park are good places to start. I always suggest searching in the core of Dallas and then steadily working your way outward. Black professionals (with kids) live as far south as DeSoto and Cedar Hill and as far north as Frisco and points further. If you're single, you won't find a high concentration of people like you in any single place. Dallas proper is at least 25% black, but our distribution is fairly even compared to whites who live almost exclusively north of downtown. Your best bet is to make friends from an array of ethnic groups including AND especially 1st/2nd generation Americans like some Indians/Pakistanis/Koreans etc. Depending on your background, you may have more in common with them than some of the black Americans you meet. If your place of employment has a decent number of young blacks, definitely hit them up as they can give you some good insight.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:44 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I'm going to save you a lot of trouble and everybody who wants to respond to this thread a lot of time: Just skip DFW and move to Houston. It's way better for all the things that you listed and asked about (things to do for young black professionals, cultural diversity and a wider and better variety of food choices, racial tolerance).
End thread!

Old 02-12-2017, 05:53 PM

450 posts, read 556,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
End thread!
+1. Dude hit it right on the head.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM

106 posts, read 284,170 times
Quote:
[Mod cut]

Unless you enjoy things like humidity that feels like you are walking around in a hot shower in the summer, crime, having less things to do, and missing out on the 4th biggest metro area in the United States.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-17-2017 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,965 times
Moderator Note: Please keep this thread focused on assisting the OP with his questions. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:34 AM

641 posts, read 802,469 times

I'm hitched now but I think it's good to great. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 if you are ok with dating outside your race as well. If you want to stick to your own, 3 out of 10. Of course places like Hou/Mia/Atl/Nyc is prob a better dating scene. One negative is obesity rates down here.

Overt Racism is pretty much non existent. There's a lot of implicit bias/racism like anywhere else. The non blacks in the southern side of the dfw metro (ch,gp,arl, desoto) are more welcoming and open minded in my opinion. People also seem open minded in more diverse areas of a few northern burbs.

Real Diversity but it may be a good drive to find something in particular depending on what it is

4. Any hip hop clubs?

yes

idk. This is very subjective. I practice on a pvt range. Never really felt comfortable at anything public bc I'm paranoid.

Yes, Dallas. Uptown, N Dallas, I lived in skillman/audelia area (it was a little ghetto) but I had a blast there. Again, if you embrace diversity you will be fine here. Most ybp are in the southern burbs, especially if married but a lot are scattered throughout

Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
OP asked about Dallas not Houston. Believe it or not their are many young black professionals that actually like DFW. Many of them prefer Dallas over Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas