Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 AM

165 posts, read 145,630 times

Advertisements

We received a bill last month from a local medical office for a procedure that had been performed in June of 2016. We had already paid what we understood we owed (what insurance didn't cover) back in 2016.
When we asked them why we were being billed again, and more than a year later, they said the practice had been bought out, and the new owners were revisiting the books and correcting them.

Does anybody know if there is any kind of law in Texas that sets a time limit for this kind of thing?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-19-2017 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CieloIn20 View Post
We received a bill last month from a local medical office for a procedure that had been performed in June of 2016. We had already paid what we understood we owed (what insurance didn't cover) back in 2016.
When we asked them why we were being billed again, and more than a year later, they said the practice had been bought out, and the new owners were revisiting the books and correcting them.

Does anybody know if there is any kind of law in Texas that sets a time limit for this kind of thing?
1. I'd need to see absolute proof that the earlier billing was in error before I spent ten seconds worrying about this. Even if their numbers are right it took them more than a year to bill you.........I'd need at least three years to pay the shortfall if I paid it at all.

2. My position would be, as I'm sure your position is, you got a bill and in good faith paid it and have considered the matter closed since the moment they accepted payment per their terms and bill.

3. I'm sure there is fine print in the contract that they will say allows them to bill underages more or less forever. I'd want to see proof that they are refunding overages as well.

4. At the worst my position would likely be to make a 15% cash offer on the new charge to make this go away and remember who these jokers are and run them down privately forever.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. I'd need to see absolute proof that the earlier billing was in error before I spent ten seconds worrying about this. Even if their numbers are right it took them more than a year to bill you.........I'd need at least three years to pay the shortfall if I paid it at all.

2. My position would be, as I'm sure your position is, you got a bill and in good faith paid it and have considered the matter closed since the moment they accepted payment per their terms and bill.

3. I'm sure there is fine print in the contract that they will say allows them to bill underages more or less forever. I'd want to see proof that they are refunding overages as well.

4. At the worst my position would likely be to make a 15% cash offer on the new charge to make this go away and remember who these jokers are and run them down privately forever.

We contacted them when we received the bill, and told them that they would need to send some justification for this additional billing in writing. We have yet to hear anything.

We'd never use them again or recommend them to anybody.

This whole thing just seems so questionable. There has got to be a time limit for this. Could a clinic come back to you after five years and request additional payment? What if we had moved? This type of thing could mess up your credit.

I appreciate your comments.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

332 posts, read 1,386,947 times
Under Texas civil statutes (CPRC Ch. 146), a health care provider must “bill a patient or other responsible person for services provided to the patient not later than the first day of the 11th month after the date the services are provided.” And that’s the longest they can wait to bill. In some cases they must bill even sooner, by “the date required under any contract between the health care service provider and the issuer of the health benefit plan.”

Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
If they are billing for the same service would that mean it goes from the original bill?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
Under Texas civil statutes (CPRC Ch. 146), a health care provider must “bill a patient or other responsible person for services provided to the patient not later than the first day of the 11th month after the date the services are provided.” And that’s the longest they can wait to bill. In some cases they must bill even sooner, by “the date required under any contract between the health care service provider and the issuer of the health benefit plan.”
Thank you!

Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
I told a doctor to pound sand when they sent me a bill for $500 after a year had passed since my last appointment. Her office's rationale was they'd tried "multiple times" to get my insurance carrier to pay before billing me the balance.

They didn't like being told to pound sand and sent the matter to collections.

Needless to say I didn't pay the bill and it isn't on my credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas