Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 AM

427 posts, read 494,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Misleading info about Allen High. Having the largest enrollment of any Collin county school, by a huge margin, would of course lead to more accolades. It also leads to kids being treated like #'s rather than individuals. There's a reason the same house in Lovejoy ISD demands more $$ than Allen ISD.
What is misleading about Allen? Having large enrollment is a fact everyone knows. There are people on this board to try to find any reasons to downplay any positives, where as celebrating single digit numbers in all other high schools in Frisco and say Frisco is great and treat East/Central on par with West Plano and say Plano is heaven on earth.

Look at the positives on STEM Center/Gifted school, Amphitheater, Sports, Robotic, IB Programs etc. It is up to kids and parents to use the facilities and be successful. I personally feel the big school atmosphere, facilities will prepare students for challenges outside of school in the big world if used properly. Naysayers are plenty and will always be there, no matter that the fact is. If big, people complain it is big. If small people complain. It's normal.

Of course there will be a reason, it's not a new discovery you found out. There is a reason why New York is NY and Dallas is what it is and there is a reason why HP, West Plano or other towns are what they are. There are about 100,000 people living in Allen and relatively affluent. They wouldn't be living there without a reason or if they get a feeling they are treated like #.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 11-01-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 PM

371 posts, read 553,714 times
Foolish? It takes one to know one :-)

We are talking about schools here - not NFL Academies The primary purpose of schools is to educate - not produce football players or violin virtuosos (unless they are specific academies for that purpose). You get that?

You keep boosting Allen and that is fine. I have kids in Plano and know several kids in Frisco and Allen at all schools levels (elementary to high) - so I know what I am talking about. The fact is that Plano does a far better job at all levels as a district than the others that are being discussed. That does not mean the others are bad.

What other metrics should we be comparing schools with? NMSF, SAT scores, % going to top colleges - these are objective. Number of players going to the NFL draft - heck that maybe objective too if that is your priority!

And don't talk about music or fine arts - Plano voted for a bond to build a new fine arts center for the schools. Allen is about that money-pit of a football stadium.

Nobody is trashing Allen for you to run to its' defense. On the contrary, you show up in any thread with your same spiel of Allen boosting (taking any statement as a perceived slight to Allen).

These are all great town to live in with good schools. If you want to pick nits then PISD is better than Allen ISD (and Frisco ISD for that matter). If you want to compare individual schools, then sure - there are differences. This is about the district as a whole. Sure, there are greater school districts than Plano - Allen is not one of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
You are trying to beat in the bush and say something for the sake of posting or to get an upper hand or whatever - Where did I contradict myself? All I said was there are high performing elementary schools and a middle in West Allen that are highly rated and than some in Plano or Frisco - which is true. It is a fact that there are good and not so good schools in all towns and there are some low performing schools in east and central Plano than some good ones in other towns.

So, it is still not correct to generalize the whole town or district and say any one is great.

You are just comparing NMSF numbers in High school and giving a statement PISD is great! how foolish is that? I am talking about overall positives and overall big picture at elementary, middle and high school.

Repeating again: How does it benefit someone who wants to be a National football player / Sports person or great Singer/Artist to put in a school where majority is focused on NMSF or Doctor or Engineering in a high pressured environment? It can be a disaster and can lead to demotivation and low confidence and not achieve anything in life.

Get that?

The attitude by some on this board is one way and astonishing - some think world starts and ends with Plano and get happiness by talking low about other places. While Plano and West Plano in particular obviously are one of the best areas - there is world outside those boundaries, there are many other even greater places and schools out there and everyone has their own reasons and choices to live where they want.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:25 PM

427 posts, read 494,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
Foolish? It takes one to know one :-)

We are talking about schools here - not NFL Academies The primary purpose of schools is to educate - not produce football players or violin virtuosos (unless they are specific academies for that purpose). You get that?

You keep boosting Allen and that is fine. I have kids in Plano and know several kids in Frisco and Allen at all schools levels (elementary to high) - so I know what I am talking about. The fact is that Plano does a far better job at all levels as a district than the others that are being discussed. That does not mean the others are bad.

What other metrics should we be comparing schools with? NMSF, SAT scores, % going to top colleges - these are objective. Number of players going to the NFL draft - heck that maybe objective too if that is your priority!

And don't talk about music or fine arts - Plano voted for a bond to build a new fine arts center for the schools. Allen is about that money-pit of a football stadium.

Nobody is trashing Allen for you to run to its' defense. On the contrary, you show up in any thread with your same spiel of Allen boosting (taking any statement as a perceived slight to Allen).

These are all great town to live in with good schools. If you want to pick nits then PISD is better than Allen ISD (and Frisco ISD for that matter). If you want to compare individual schools, then sure - there are differences. This is about the district as a whole. Sure, there are greater school districts than Plano - Allen is not one of them!
Again you are trying to satisfy you ego, it's ok many people does that. I didn't pick nits with Plano or say it is bad. I post (read facts and information) if I find something incorrect or unfair comments about Allen like NO more than you and others that post about Plano and other towns. I post about Allen as I live there like other 100,000 residents and know positives and negatives. Where as the constant negativity seen on this board is by non-residents, which is ridiculous.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 11-01-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM

371 posts, read 553,714 times
Satisfy my ego? My ego is not tied to where I live - maybe yours is? Don't let facts get in the way!

Anyway - good luck and enjoy Allen. I for one will enjoy the benefits of living in a great town surrounded by other great towns (love Allen shopping and restaurants for one )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Again you are trying to satisfy you ego, it's ok many people does that. I didn't pick nits with Plano or say it is bad. I post (read facts and information) if I find something incorrect or unfair comments about Allen like NO more than you and others that post about Plano.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 AM

213 posts, read 183,316 times
Y'all. This isn't helping the thread, where OP is comparing school districts.

What it tells me though, is that moving to DFW with children means trying to sort out a CF of schools districts, and you start feeling that you're making a life decision for your kids. It's quite frankly pretty demotivating. But maybe it's like that moving anywhere in US?

Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
Y'all. This isn't helping the thread, where OP is comparing school districts.

What it tells me though, is that moving to DFW with children means trying to sort out a CF of schools districts, and you start feeling that you're making a life decision for your kids. It's quite frankly pretty demotivating. But maybe it's like that moving anywhere in US?
Not all of us take choosing schools so seriously. Remember that most people here on CD have higher than average incomes (and education levels) so they have plenty of options to choose from, and usually, they want the best. Of course everyone wants the best for their child, but not everyone can afford to live in an area with great schools.

Neither my husband nor I attended schools that were considered the best of the best at the time (Lewisville HS for him, Prosper for me) and we turned out just fine. Our girls will attend Frisco ISD and they'll probably do well too because we will be involved parents.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 150,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
This is how Collin County school districts stack.

1. Plano ISD
2. Frisco ISD
3. Lovejoy ISD & Prosper ISD
4. Allen ISD
6. McKinney ISD
7. Wylie ISD
8. other districts

Usually prices reflect that, same house costs more near Plano West then Allen High. Same house by same builder in Liberty High area costs more than McKinney Boyd. All are decent schools but for parents looking for academic rigor, apparently minor differences matter. They would rather compromise on minor price/age/finish/size differences on housing then compromise on schools.
This list is obviously your opinion without data to back it up.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/districtrank.aspx

The Wylie at 56th is Abilene Wylie.

Or

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...texas/rankings

There are others. Just look how they choose their ranking criteria. When we were looking years ago we had picked Allen over PISD. It was down to Allen, Plano West or Lovejoy. We rejected Frisco and Prosper. Evacuee of the rapid growth and refining within the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: