Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 4,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to relocate from Southwestern Pennsylvania to Dallas or Houston. Most important factor for us are Financial Analyst positions. Currently, I'm a Financial Analyst in a Hopsital with over 6 years of experience making just over $60K was wondering if I would get comp salary down in either city.

Houston and Dallas Hospitals take out of state applications? The Best Hospitals to Work for in Financial Career?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
The big hospital systems here are: Baylor Scott & White, Texas Health, Methodist, and Medical City Healthcare (HCA). Parkland and JPS are the Dallas and Tarrant County hospitals. Children’s Health is in Dallas, and Cook Children’s is in Fort Worth.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 PM

194 posts, read 156,273 times
After our president signs the tax bill, I wouldn't bet big on hospitals as profit centers.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
If you went to stay in the medical industry, then Houston will have more opportunity because it has the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world. It employs around 100,000 people in a huge cluster of hospitals about 3 -5 miles south of downtown. Go to Wikipedia or their website to get more details. Also check out U.S. News and World Report rankings of best hospitals in America. The Medical Center has high rankings in Cardiology, Oncology, Pediatrics, Rehabilitation and has a nursing school affiliated with Baylor. Life flight actually began there as did the first heart transplant in America. The VA has its hospital onsite as well. I live in Dallas and the hospitals here are decent size but am from Houston. Nothing outside the NIH in D.C. has the critical mass that is the TMC in Houston.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
If you went to stay in the medical industry, then Houston will have more opportunity because it has the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world. It employs around 100,000 people in a huge cluster of hospitals about 3 -5 miles south of downtown. Go to Wikipedia or their website to get more details. Also check out U.S. News and World Report rankings of best hospitals in America. The Medical Center has high rankings in Cardiology, Oncology, Pediatrics, Rehabilitation and has a nursing school affiliated with Baylor. Life flight actually began there as did the first heart transplant in America. The VA has its hospital onsite as well. I live in Dallas and the hospitals here are decent size but am from Houston. Nothing outside the NIH in D.C. has the critical mass that is the TMC in Houston.
For some context IIRC Houston does have slightly more hospital beds per person than Dallas but the gap isn't significant. The number of hospitals per se in both areas is very close but again a slight edge to Houston. Dallas also has two allopathic medical schools, about to be three, and a nursing school affiliated with Baylor as well. Dallas also has a number of exceptional/highly rated specialty areas. Dr. DeBakey was the first to transplant a heart. Dr. Baxter developed the Parkland Formula for burn patients and so on.

It may or may not apply to the OP but UTSW creates more high-end high impact research than UTH+BCOM+UT MD Anderson. A bunch of people work in that area.

Just making the point that DFW is not a medical wasteland.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:46 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Fort Worth is opening a new medical school that’s jointly owned by TCU and UNT. Perhaps there’s some opportunities there to get in at the beginning.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
For some context IIRC Houston does have slightly more hospital beds per person than Dallas but the gap isn't significant. The number of hospitals per se in both areas is very close but again a slight edge to Houston. Dallas also has two allopathic medical schools, about to be three, and a nursing school affiliated with Baylor as well. Dallas also has a number of exceptional/highly rated specialty areas. Dr. DeBakey was the first to transplant a heart. Dr. Baxter developed the Parkland Formula for burn patients and so on.

It may or may not apply to the OP but UTSW creates more high-end high impact research than UTH+BCOM+UT MD Anderson. A bunch of people work in that area.

Just making the point that DFW is not a medical wasteland.
Since when?

Just like someone working in IT would be pointed towards Dallas instead of Houston even though Houston has a fair amount of IT jobs applies here. The gap shouldn't be significant in the number of beds considering DFW is the larger metro but there is more research/medical related jobs in Houston. And Dr. DeBakey wasn't in Dallas or associated with Dallas at all so not sure why you brought that up.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:08 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Since when?

Just like someone working in IT would be pointed towards Dallas instead of Houston even though Houston has a fair amount of IT jobs applies here. The gap shouldn't be significant in the number of beds considering DFW is the larger metro but there is more research/medical related jobs in Houston. And Dr. DeBakey wasn't in Dallas or associated with Dallas at all so not sure why you brought that up.
Read the post just before mine above and it'll all make more sense.

Specifically:
1. I didn't write or imply that Dr. DeBakey practiced in Dallas. I offered Dr. Baxter - who did practice in Dallas - as someone from here who advanced medicine considerably too. Baxter is also the guy who tried to save President Kennedy.

2. I didn't write or claim that Dallas area sports more medical research than Houston. But that the research here seems to be of higher value overall.

Evidence:
1. Shanghai University ranks medical schools across the world by research value every five years. UTSW was #7 per it's last ranking.
2. According to the Normalized Lens Influence Metric UTSW is the world's #5 most influential medical research institution. Lens gives weight to research impact and reach via patent applications etc. over gross research dollars.
3. I haven't looked this stuff up in about a year but it's likely not changed.
*More Nobel Prize winners conduct research at UTSW than all other institutions in of any kind in TX combined.
*More National Academy of Science winners conduct research at UTSW than all other institutions of any kind in TX combined.
*More National Academy of Medicine winners conduct research at UTSW than all other institutions of any kind in TX combined.
*More Hughes Medical Investigators conduct research at UTSW than all other institutions in Texas combined IIRC UTSW = 14, all else 4 maybe 5.

What we should be as Texans is very proud of all the great work and research done in Houston, Dallas AND Austin, College Station, San Antonio etc.

My DIL attends on of the great medical schools in Houston ergo I am not a hater by any means.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times
To the OP, the number of actual hospitals physically located in Dallas is irrelevant to your question as many hospitals and health care companies base their finance/accounting teams here in Dallas while the hospitals are all over the US. I should know as I’ve worked in healthcare accounting for many years here in Dallas while the hospitals are based elsewhere.

Without seeing your resume I can’t be definitive in saying this but based on the little you’ve said I honestly think you shouldn’t have a problem finding a job here, paying more than what you currently make too. I would suggest finding a dallas based recruiter first. They can give you a better idea of what your prospects are here.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM

307 posts, read 363,087 times
From what I gather if you're looking specifically for Hospital settings then I hear that Houston has a richer medical district.

If however, you're just looking for "financial analyst" jobs then Dallas and Houston are on equal footing. This is because where Houston beats Dallas in medical community, Dallas metro far exceeds Houston in the tech companies that are hiring for the position you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas