Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM

385 posts, read 488,733 times

Advertisements

It’s very exciting to see all of the redevelopment going on in Dallas proper. As we all know, North Oak Cliff continues to grow. I work with a ton of young professionals with very solid household incomes; however, I’ve watched a few of them get priced out of areas in Dallas proper with homes going for over $400K. (This is mainly due to the high level of student loan debt, I think)

My thoughts:

- Elmwood (this area has seen a little redevelopment but I think the area will not see more of that until the prices in surrounding Oak Cliff neighborhoods skyrocket even more.)
- Lockwood (still up and coming a bit, but this area has been very popular and I think homes can still be had for under $350K.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM

390 posts, read 389,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
It’s very exciting to see all of the redevelopment going on in Dallas proper. As we all know, North Oak Cliff continues to grow. I work with a ton of young professionals with very solid household incomes; however, I’ve watched a few of them get priced out of areas in Dallas proper with homes going for over $400K. (This is mainly due to the high level of student loan debt, I think)

My thoughts:

- Elmwood (this area has seen a little redevelopment but I think the area will not see more of that until the prices in surrounding Oak Cliff neighborhoods skyrocket even more.)
- Lockwood (still up and coming a bit, but this area has been very popular and I think homes can still be had for under $350K.

Thoughts?
I'm most excited about these neighborhoods in order based off the amount of development/redevelopment
1.Bishop arts area
2.Deep ellum
3.west dallas
4.downtown
5.knox Henderson area

Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I don't think Lockwood is "up and coming" anymore. It's expensive now. Elmwood is definitely one. I think the area between Inwood and Love Field between Mockingbird and Lovers will continue to gentrify. Bird Streets are expensive now and it's pushing further west.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:

My thoughts:

Thoughts?
Elmwood is a cute area and still has lots of houses that "need" to be flipped or otherwise invested in. I also think it has the bones of what can and ultimately will be the best urban commercial center in Oak Cliff (Wynnewood is too big, Bishop Arts proper is too small and the new construction around it that they're calling Bishop Arts has already resulted in a loss of character). Elmwood's got DART stops that are walking distance from a decent portion of it. However, the reason it's still affordable is not because of low home prices per square foot. It's simply because the homes and the lots there are small. Most of them can never comfortably be more than a 2-2, maybe a 3-2 if you give up on room sizes. Eventually it will probably lead to homes being torn down and new ones built that take up more of the lot but get homes closer to the size that buyers want. I think the redevelopment of Wynnewood will accelerate that process.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM

385 posts, read 488,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't think Lockwood is "up and coming" anymore. It's expensive now. Elmwood is definitely one. I think the area between Inwood and Love Field between Mockingbird and Lovers will continue to gentrify. Bird Streets are expensive now and it's pushing further west.
Is the area you’re referring to in 75209, zoned to Thomas Jefferson HS? I can’t recall the name of the neighborhood but I definitely agree.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Lochwood is up & coming as more people are priced out of Lakewood and surrounding areas. I disagree that you can still find something for under $350k. There are currently six on realtor.com under that price point with 17 over that price point. The lower ones are either tiny, have not been updated or on less desirable streets (backing up to retail, etc).

I think you have to go on the other side of Garland Road or north of Jupiter to find under $350.

Just my observation.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Is the area you’re referring to in 75209, zoned to Thomas Jefferson HS? I can’t recall the name of the neighborhood but I definitely agree.
I don't know the high school but yes, it's 75209.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,245 times
I had to look this up... So that whole area is known as Elm Thicket aka North Park (not to be confused with NorthPark; maybe that's why they use Elm Thicket instead), while a subsection is also known as Shannon Estates?

Elm Thicket NorthPark
http://dallascityhall.com/department...ElmThicket.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_Thicket,_Dallas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Estates,_Dallas
Weird City | Dallas Observer

Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM

577 posts, read 456,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
I'm most excited about these neighborhoods in order based off the amount of development/redevelopment
1.Bishop arts area
2.Deep ellum
3.west dallas
4.downtown
5.knox Henderson area
Your list is at least 10 years too late.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:22 PM

390 posts, read 389,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Your list is at least 10 years too late.
Thanks I guess I misread the post 😔
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas