Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times

Advertisements

A co-worker just bought a house on the east side of Allen with more than 1/2 an acre, 3 car garage and a pool for about $650k. The commute to Legacy West would be straight down McDermott or 121 would be pretty easy and probably within 30 minutes. Check to the east - home prices are a bit lower and lots are larger. The house sat on the market long enough for them to put in 2 offers a few months apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
If you are buying an expensive home in Texas and like house, area, commute, school, price etc. It would be stupid to let it go because of few thousand to fill up a pool. For crying out loud, you'll pay way more to your realtor. You shouldn't let go of a nice house because of something that can be fixed. In fact, don't fill it up immediately, you may even like having one, if not then just enjoy for a while then get rid of it. It costs many times more to get a pool than to remove or renovate one. I don't know what's the big deal. Its just a matter of common sense and looking out of the box to have more homes to pick from. Why limit your options? Its no diffrent than renovating a kitchen or changing flooring.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 02-28-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 02:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
If you are buying an expensive home in Texas and like house, area, commute, school, price etc. It would be stupid to let it go because of few thousand to fill up a pool. For crying out loud, you'll pay way more to your realtor. You shouldn't let go of a nice house because of something that can be fixed. In fact, don't fill it up immediately, you may even like having one, if not then just enjoy for a while then get rid of it. It costs many times more to get a pool than to remove or renovate one. I don't know what's the big deal. Its just a matter of common sense and looking out of the box to have more homes to pick from. Why limit your options? Its no diffrent than renovating a kitchen or changing flooring.
But at least when you renovate a kitchen or change flooring you get something you can look at and enjoy out of it. And those are renovations that will add value to a home. I'm not saying filling in a pool is a bad idea, but it certainly isn't an attractive one either.

I also understand why the OP doesn't want one--at this point in my life, I don't want one either. The worry with young children is legitimate.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 231,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
In theory, yes -- but I would imagine that if this house hit the market, it would be our absolute ceiling in terms of budget.

I will say, we definitely don't need that much sq footage either. We would be happy with something as low as 3K sq-ft. But the combination is still pretty difficult to find even thinking of that it seems.
There are quite a few homes close by to DNT then that fit your budget and amenities. Just quickly searching I saw 25 properties online with 3 car, >3000ft, <$800K (most much less) in that area. Zips you might look at are 75287, 75252, 75248 because a lot of those homes were built during the late 70's to mid 80's as executive homes for EDS campus in Plano. They have tons of amenities but are aging a bit of course.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
But at least when you renovate a kitchen or change flooring you get something you can look at and enjoy out of it. And those are renovations that will add value to a home. I'm not saying filling in a pool is a bad idea, but it certainly isn't an attractive one either.

I also understand why the OP doesn't want one--at this point in my life, I don't want one either. The worry with young children is legitimate.
For someone buying a $800k home, $10k is peanuts. When one buys a house, new or old, usually buyer adds some things to make it more suitable for their needs or stylr, just putting blinds or shutters in whole house or customizing garage costs as much or more. It opens up their options to buy a home they like, in an area they prefer and it provides good schools, commute, resale etc. From her post, it seems they'll enjoy yard more than kitchen or wood flooring, which they'll get anyways. Its almost like HGTV folks passing on an otherwise perfect house because it has blue carpet, just replace the darn carpet.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Well, it is more like a removing a kitchen.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Haha you are right but its all outside so doesn't interrupt life the way indoor construction does.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:18 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Haha you are right but its all outside so doesn't interrupt life the way indoor construction does.
Half the work you have to do to renovate houses involves changes you can't really see. Replace the roof, windows, plumbing repairs, and foundation repair cost equally as much with no noticeable change.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Half the work you have to do to renovate houses involves changes you can't really see. Replace the roof, windows, plumbing repairs, and foundation repair cost equally as much with no noticeable change.
True that. It is funny how people think its too complicated to fill up a pool. To be fair, most internet posters never owned a pool or never had one installed or removed so taking their advice is like taking someone's advice about your bypass surgery because his second cousin, twice removed, had a heart attack in 1998.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 PM

139 posts, read 171,783 times
Conventional wisdom is that a pool adds no value on resale. When I was buying a house a few years ago, I would have subtracted $30k from the house price if it had a pool. I do know other people want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas