Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:50 PM

123 posts, read 146,275 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking a new city to relocate to from Atlanta, GA. I first visited Los Angelas, which was beautiful, but too expensive. My second visit was to Houston, but I wasn't that impressed. The third city I visited was Dallas, Tx. I really liked Dallas and think I have found my new city. Is it just me or does Dallas have a similar vibe to Southern California? It could just be the fact that I'm in Atlanta where we have trees and woods everywhere. I guess I'm tired of the trees and woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
No similarity to SoCal at all!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Yes and no. But mostly no.

Topography-wise, Dallas is NOTHING like LA. No beach, no ocean, no Hollywood Hills, no skiiing an hour away, etc. Dallas is flat, flat, flat with most of the surrounding lakes being man made. Dallas is about 8-10 hours from a good beach (unless you count flying to Mexico, then its 2 hours) and a good 12 hour drive from good skiing in Colorado. People in LA tend to be REALLY outdoorsy; not so much here.

Vibe-wise, not really. Dallas has none of the laid back beach town vibes you get in Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc. Dallas has no celeb culture or heavy influence of the film industry that is pervasive in LA. Some of the newer generic suburbs have a similar new, clean vibe though. And a lot of relocatees from Cali living there. And Highland Park was developed by the same team who developed Beverly Hills so you do see some strong similarities in architecture and city planning between those two.

Shopping is excellent in both cities. LA is more diverse and has more of an Asian presence.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM

I think it was just the change of scenery from tall trees, hills, and woods everywhere. Dallas landscape is far closer to California's scenery than Atlanta, Ga or any east coast city for that matter. Dallas also seems more advanced than Atlanta. Just my opinion.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I have lived in Dallas since 1978 and had a condo in SD for several years, too, while living in DFW. I am actually in SD right now as I write this. I was thinking about your post today while I was driving near the San Diego zoo. And — except for the palm trees — some of that area reminded me of some of the neighborhoods around Swiss Ave with smaller old houses and apartments.

However, that is the only similarity. Dallas is a majority minority Black/Hispanic city. SD not at all. Dallas weather is usually really hot or too cold. Dallas is flat and has no oceans or mountains. The burbs along the coast — La Jolla, Carlsbad, Ocean City, Seaside, OC...all the way up to LA — no similarity at all to the DFW metro area. Even the burbs have more high density housing, and the towns have more character. Don’t fool yourself. If you really love CA, you won’t find it in the DFW area.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,190 times
Nothing similar.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM

I get it. Dallas has no similarities to southern California, but It's very different from Atlanta and I guess that's good enough for me at the moment. I love Southern California but housing cost is ridiculous plus I have three young daughters. I also think Dallas would be a better place to raise my girls.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I get it. Dallas has no similarities to southern California, but It's very different from Atlanta and I guess that's good enough for me at the moment. I love Southern California but housing cost is ridiculous plus I have three young daughters. I also think Dallas would be a better place to raise my girls.
Dallas and Atlanta have a lot more in common than Dallas and LA, especially when it comes to family living. What don't you like about Atlanta that makes you think Dallas would be better for your daughters?

Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Dallas and Atlanta have a lot more in common than Dallas and LA, especially when it comes to family living. What don't you like about Atlanta that makes you think Dallas would be better for your daughters?
Can I be honest? I am a Black American and I'm not a fan of the Black American culture in Atlanta. The ignorant gangster rap music capital, strip club capital, high crime. I can go on and on, but I just don't like Atlanta anymore. I'm sure Dallas has these things also, but Atlanta is on another level. Plus, Dallas seems to be more advanced than Atlanta.

Last edited by OceanViewer; 05-22-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 10:16 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
I think Dallas has more similarities to Atlanta than to LA, though I think it's a toss up as to if Dallas or Atlanta is more like LA.

Atlanta has hills and some film industry, and alot of rap, but it's not even in the same sport let alone league as LA culturally speaking.

Atlanta also has a Eastern/ Southern vibe you don't get in LA, things are just different out west.

Dallas also has some film/tv stuff, but again, not the same level as either of those cities.

Dallas has better shopping than Atlanta, and has more of a western landscape, but again, It doesn't really look like California besides the suburbs having alot of similarities because it is so flat, and the shopping still is a tier below LA.

Dallas has more of a western vibe and less of a southern vibe than Atlanta.

All in all I like Dallas better than Atlanta for lots of reasons, but It has more in common with Atlanta than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas