Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 11:22 AM

932 posts, read 543,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
And in order to not be homeless. You need housing.

The whole point was that your statement did not make any sense.

You have your reasons for not buying (not enough income). That doesn’t impact everyone.
Selection Bias....good job
I do have enough income and can afford to buy if you have followed my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Selection Bias....good job
I do have enough income and can afford to buy if you have followed my posts.
No. You’ve stated that housing was a luxury. Housing is necessary to not be homeless. HOMEOWNERSHIP is a luxury - perhaps that’s what you’ve meant?

And no. You’ve specifically highlighted the fact that you would have to choose between investing and owning.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:32 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
This post is interesting. Home ownership is maybe not a luxury but a choice. But it's a choice with long lasting ramifications so it can't be entered into or backed out of as lightly as other choices. Also depending on the circles one is in I get the feeling that it's more acceptable to own than not. That being said the DFW are especially Dallas proper portions of oak cliff, lakewood, the northern burbs and the affluent areas such as bedford hurst, euless. have seen prices go on a tear in the last 5 to 7 years. Prohibitively so for many including single earners, the millennials who are starting to make real money, and those on fixed incomes are seeing things outpace their incomes. All the corporate relocations have been a blessing and a curse to the market and the transplants from California, the northeast, and foreign investors have made it tougher for sure.

It does appear the market is softening in DFW but we'll have to see how long it lasts we'll know more especially toward spring. The nations economy and housing market overall appear to be slowing and look increasingly volatile. College loan debt and credit card debt have surpassed what they were in 2008 before the recession I was reading recently, so that's something to keep an eye on.

That being said it's certainly cheaper to buy now than in quite a while so if someone was on the fence about buying the getting appears to be "good" I personally am going to wait a bit longer as well, and when I do I'll go in with the mindset of the home being a potential rental down the line.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 12-31-2018 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
No. You’ve stated that housing was a luxury. Housing is necessary to not be homeless. HOMEOWNERSHIP is a luxury - perhaps that’s what you’ve meant?

And no. You’ve specifically highlighted the fact that you would have to choose between investing and owning.
You have missed the second aspect of the post
Hobo is used for people who are below poverty level. And its derogatory.

And yes...I meant Homeownership.

Currently its luxury. It might change in future.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
This post is interesting. Home ownership is maybe not a luxury but a choice. But it's a choice with long lasting ramifications so it can't be entered into or backed out of as lightly as other choices. Also depending on the circles one is in I get the feeling that it's more acceptable to own than not. That being said the DFW are especially Dallas proper portions of oak cliff, lakewood, the northern burbs and the affluent areas such as bedford hurst, euless. have seen prices go on a tear in the last 5 to 7 years. Prohibitively so for many including single earners, the millennials who are starting to make real money, and those on fixed incomes are seeing things outpace their incomes. All the corporate relocations have been a blessing and a curse to the market and the transplants from California, the northeast, and foreign investors have made it tougher for sure.

It does appear the market is softening in DFW but we'll have to see how long it lasts we'll know more especially toward spring. The nations economy and housing market overall appear to be slowing and look increasingly volatile. College loan debt and credit card debt have surpassed what they were in 2008 before the recession I was reading recently, so that's something to keep an eye on.

That being said it's certainly cheaper to buy now than in quite a while so if someone was on the fence about buying the getting appears to be "good" I personally am going to wait a bit longer as well, and when I do I'll go in with the mindset of the home being a potential rental down the line.
Good post.

In my view Homeownership is currently a luxury due to high prices and tax reform. It can change over time and I would opt for it when it becomes a choice.

Because of herd mentality, lot of friends and family have bought big houses at very high prices.
I don't want to spend money and buy a reasonable house just to feel poor
I am part of that herd too....so I would buy similar house when the price is right

Lets look at the below article which supports Home Ownership in detail

https://www.creditdonkey.com/why-own.html

The reasons mentioned used to make sense before.
But in current scenario, each and every one of the points get thrown out of the window if you rent at a good place and maintain the same school district and don't have pets.

Not to mention that the jobs are being increasingly mobile.
You can't expect to stay put at one place for 10 years without bearing opportunity losses either in terms of well being, standard of living,money, career or stability.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 PM

200 posts, read 548,402 times
Quote:
Good post.

In my view Homeownership is currently a luxury due to high prices and tax reform. It can change over time and I would opt for it when it becomes a choice.

Because of herd mentality, lot of friends and family have bought big houses at very high prices.
I don't want to spend money and buy a reasonable house just to feel poor
I am part of that herd too....so I would buy similar house when the price is right

Lets look at the below article which supports Home Ownership in detail

https://www.creditdonkey.com/why-own.html

The reasons mentioned used to make sense before.
But in current scenario, each and every one of the points get thrown out of the window if you rent at a good place and maintain the same school district and don't have pets.

Not to mention that the jobs are being increasingly mobile.
You can't expect to stay put at one place for 10 years without bearing opportunity losses either in terms of well being, standard of living,money, career or stability.
Agree that homeownership is a luxury and a big trade off. I lived in various apartments for 10 years before buying the first home. Not being tied up by a house did give me a lot more flexibility to relocate for a new/better job. (yes it's possible to sell a house but certainly not as easy)
Although my home has increased a lot in value, given the high taxes and maintenance I probably at best break-even if I sell it. However there are a lot of non-financial benefits to own a home. And the quality of life is certainly better compare to life in the apartments. In addition, the rent has gone up a lot. I feel lucky that I bought in 2009 when the price was a lot lower therefore "locked-in" the lower housing costs.(Rent was quite cheap too, brand new two bedroom apartment about 1100 sqft was only $1000 a month)
Many things have changed though. Moving expense deduction is gone making relocation even more expensive today, although gas is at record low...

Old 12-31-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
Agree that homeownership is a luxury and a big trade off. I lived in various apartments for 10 years before buying the first home. Not being tied up by a house did give me a lot more flexibility to relocate for a new/better job. (yes it's possible to sell a house but certainly not as easy)
Although my home has increased a lot in value, given the high taxes and maintenance I probably at best break-even if I sell it. However there are a lot of non-financial benefits to own a home. And the quality of life is certainly better compare to life in the apartments. In addition, the rent has gone up a lot. I feel lucky that I bought in 2009 when the price was a lot lower therefore "locked-in" the lower housing costs.(Rent was quite cheap too, brand new two bedroom apartment about 1100 sqft was only $1000 a month)
Many things have changed though. Moving expense deduction is gone making relocation even more expensive today, although gas is at record low...
Yes, there are lot of non-financial benefits of owning a house.
It is something that you can see, feel and enjoy as compared to your stock portfolio.

But off late, it has become a pain in the butt.
If you own an expensive home, you will have to cut back on discretionary spending like going out to eat at restaurants or a family trip etc. This trade off is what I don't like.

One must feel happy to own a house.....but based on what I hear, it feels like a burden.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 AM

349 posts, read 379,277 times
Quote:
If you own an expensive home, you will have to cut back on discretionary spending like going out to eat at restaurants or a family trip etc.
Umm, no I haven't.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:52 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Yes, there are lot of non-financial benefits of owning a house.
It is something that you can see, feel and enjoy as compared to your stock portfolio.

But off late, it has become a pain in the butt.
If you own an expensive home, you will have to cut back on discretionary spending like going out to eat at restaurants or a family trip etc. This trade off is what I don't like.

One must feel happy to own a house.....but based on what I hear, it feels like a burden.
You have forgone a massive amount of appreciation because you did not buy. Let's not act like you made a great decision financially. I am not talking about 2017. I am talking about the years before that when you didn't buy. Now you deciding not to buy in 2017 because you think it has hit the top I have no issue with.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
You have forgone a massive amount of appreciation because you did not buy. Let's not act like you made a great decision financially. I am not talking about 2017. I am talking about the years before that when you didn't buy. Now you deciding not to buy in 2017 because you think it has hit the top I have no issue with.
Lol...not sure how many times I need to repeat myself.
I did buy before 2017....started buying in 2009 and still hold them.

Anyways that's not the point.......we are talking about current situation.
Whether I bought before or not doesn't really matter.
It's better if you focus on the topic rather than on me for which I am flattered btw 😊
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas