Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I live in Plano and I have been hearing some very mysterious booming/rumbling noises on a regular basis for several months.
So far, these noises have been nothing more than a mild nuisance, but they have been going on for quite a while now and I want to find out what is causing them.

Here are all the details I know so far:

- The sounds originate west of my neighborhood (see graphic)
- The sounds always occur between 10:30 PM and 10:45 PM on Thursday/Friday night
- The sounds do not occur every Thursday/Friday night, but perhaps one Thursday/Friday night per month (only an approximation, not 100% sure on that)
- The sounds are not sharp or excessively loud (e.g. not an explosion or thunder crack) but rather a distant low rumbling noise
- The sounds last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes with some breaks
- I heard the sounds on 7/20/2018 at 10:41 PM
- I have heard the sounds multiple times over the course of several months (since February or so)
- I have never heard the sounds at any other time than Thursday/Friday night around 10:30/10:45 PM

Graphic

If anyone in my area has heard these sounds or knows the source/location of these sounds, please tell me!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 AM

200 posts, read 548,243 times
We live nearby and heard the same noise. My wife was woken up last night. She thought someone might be having a party or something and it sounded like fireworks. We would like to know the source, too!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM

13,623 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Fracking?

Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
I have no idea, didn't hear any noise in Park/Preston area.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Fracking?
There is no fracking allowed or needed here as we don't have oil or gas like Barnett Shale area. Someone may be drilling a well for water though.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 AM

13,623 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
There is no fracking allowed or needed here as we don't have oil or gas like Barnett Shale area. Someone may be drilling a well for water though.
Just a thought. Low frequency rumbles, travel great distances.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
I live near Parker and Preston and have heard a noise occur for months and maybe longer. I had not noticed the pattern of Thursday and Friday but agree with the evening timing. It sounds to me like a low flying plane or maybe helicopter.

I mentioned this in a thread a few years ago so its not brand new to my experience. Id like to know what it is as well. Someone guessed when I posted earlier that it could be helicopters that transport by life flight to area hospitals being relocated from one hospital to another as part of their coverage plan.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek6246 View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Plano and I have been hearing some very mysterious booming/rumbling noises on a regular basis for several months.
So far, these noises have been nothing more than a mild nuisance, but they have been going on for quite a while now and I want to find out what is causing them.

Here are all the details I know so far:

- The sounds originate west of my neighborhood (see graphic)
- The sounds always occur between 10:30 PM and 10:45 PM on Thursday/Friday night
- The sounds do not occur every Thursday/Friday night, but perhaps one Thursday/Friday night per month (only an approximation, not 100% sure on that)
- The sounds are not sharp or excessively loud (e.g. not an explosion or thunder crack) but rather a distant low rumbling noise
- The sounds last anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes with some breaks
- I heard the sounds on 7/20/2018 at 10:41 PM
- I have heard the sounds multiple times over the course of several months (since February or so)
- I have never heard the sounds at any other time than Thursday/Friday night around 10:30/10:45 PM

Graphic

If anyone in my area has heard these sounds or knows the source/location of these sounds, please tell me!

Thanks in advance!

From the days, dates, and times that may the sounds of lots of party people with some serious munchie attacks!

Old 07-21-2018, 09:44 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,485,997 times
Someone/Some company/city testing a backup generator? Do you have a tech company, server farm, or the like nearby? Defense contractor?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:52 PM

101 posts, read 170,786 times
Bases upon the dates and times, along with duration I would guess it’s Friday night fireworks at the Frisco Roughriders ballpark. It also wouldn’t be weekly as it would only be home stands. They played on 7/20 at 7:05 pm, so the fireworks would have started about that time.

We have since moved from the North Dallas area, but live around two miles from a ballpark that also does Friday night fireworks - we can easily hear them in our residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas