Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't agree with that at all. The Colony, Plano and Trophy Club for some are very different.
Meh. They’re really not all that different on a meaningful level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
It's like the difference between Wonder Bread and Rainbo.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:05 AM

445 posts, read 413,317 times
DFW is more of a commercial center in the middle of southern US with good airlines connectivity and does not have coastline and mountains. That makes the whole flat arid place pretty generic. The variation between suburbs are due to proximity to employment centers and good schools. Of course people with money designated some areas as upscale and built their expensive homes there, which in turn made schools better and increased their property values even more. So from that point of view, economic segregation is the only real difference between suburbs.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
The difference is mainly going to be in home size/price, schools, amenities available, and income level--those will all be correlated.

I'd pick based on your job location.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
DFW is more of a commercial center in the middle of southern US with good airlines connectivity and does not have coastline and mountains. That makes the whole flat arid place pretty generic. The variation between suburbs are due to proximity to employment centers and good schools. Of course people with money designated some areas as upscale and built their expensive homes there, which in turn made schools better and increased their property values even more. So from that point of view, economic segregation is the only real difference between suburbs.
Good points.

Many of the "hot" burbs right now were little more than farmland when I was born (1986). Transplants come to DFW and want the American Dream. This includes: a decent sized lot, medium to large houses with backyard/pool, good schools, far enough out to be quiet but able to access big city amenities with a short drive etc.

As a little kid, I vaguely remember Plano as being dang near country-ish. Now it's evolved to the point where Plano alone won't do for many newcomers. It's West Plano or bust. Every hot 'burb will have their day and then fade just a bit as people move further and further north.

If we could ever increase corporate relo's and improve perception of the southern 'burbs, I feel like it would relieve a lot of the pressure. Most transplants don't even consider a southern burb which just puts added pressure on northern DFW...to the point where the southern half of Oklahoma will be considered DFW at some point.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:33 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Meh. They’re really not all that different on a meaningful level.
Absurd oversimplifications like that don't help people who've never been around here.

For example Plano is about 20 times larger in population than Trophy Club. Plano is an internationally recognized business hub none of the other are. Plano has great public schools some of the other towns have good school but but Plano is the clear winner in this regard. Plano has a newly anointed Level 1 Trauma Center....none of the other places do and Plano has three other legitimate hospitals. None of the others are close to that.

Grapevine has a great lake and a really cool downtown unlike any of the others.

I could go on for a while.

Claiming these places are not meaningfully different is lazy and bogus.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,276 times
Quote:
Absurd oversimplifications like that don't help people who've never been around here.

For example Plano is about 20 times larger in population than Trophy Club. Plano is an internationally recognized business hub none of the other are. Plano has great public schools some of the other towns have good school but but Plano is the clear winner in this regard. Plano has a newly anointed Level 1 Trauma Center....none of the other places do and Plano has three other legitimate hospitals. None of the others are close to that.

No. It’s not.

You’ll have the same access to medical facilities, they don’t reject you based on a zip code.

The delta in the schools is a red herring at best.

Business hubs abound.

“Downtown” business districts are all over.

I could go on...

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
No. It’s not.

You’ll have the same access to medical facilities, they don’t reject you based on a zip code.

The delta in the schools is a red herring at best.

Business hubs abound.

“Downtown” business districts are all over.

I could go on...

Proximity to great medical facilities - read ERs in particular - is valuable.

The delta in schools is only a red herring if you don't have kids or don't care much about education. The average SAT score at Plano West was over 1700 last year - The Colony 1522 - Lewisville High 1422 - Northwest 1513 - Byron Nelson 1524 - Grapevine 1622. I'm not claiming average SATs are everything but they do reflect cadre quality very well.

Business hubs like West Plano absolutely do not abound.

Not sure what your "downtown" business districts comment is about.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:43 PM

630 posts, read 657,174 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. The Colony, Plano and Trophy Club for some are very different.
The price points are different. but is living in the Colony like living in a war zone? no. Is living in Trophy Club a ticket to happiness? no. In the end all these generic places provide a safe comfortable lifestyle with proximity to amenities, health care, airports, shopping, highways etc for their residents regardless of price point and budget.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:

While I don't want to live in Plano, it is interesting how it is an Edge City. Too much business is done there for it to fit the traditional bedroom suburban stereotype, but at the same time, it is incredibly auto centric and sorry, for the most part, pretty boring.

The thing about the Northern suburbs for the most part is that individual subdivisions matter more than the city itself, the only reason you know you crossed borders is the sign that says "Welcome to XYZ"

To further complicate this, school districts don't follow city borders, so basicly you have lots of arbitrary borders for different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas