Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:19 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,180,293 times

Advertisements

Whole county should support this rally as this is not a PISD specific issue any more, now it’s affecting every affluent district. We pay taxes to support our districts but money goes to support Robinhood system while Collin County schools are suffering.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ra...503008481.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 AM

964 posts, read 878,469 times
This is funny stuff. Funny in that any person thinks that 1 person that is in any government entity is even qualified to make a competent decision. I have yet to see one politician or person that works in government that I would let run a lemonade stand.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,780,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Whole county should support this rally as this is not a PISD specific issue any more, now it’s affecting every affluent district. We pay taxes to support our districts but money goes to support Robinhood system while Collin County schools are suffering.

I mean, it's not just a Collin County issue. DISD is going to have to pay into it, and the district's student body is overwhelmingly poor. I believe Houston is either already paying in, or is about to, and they have similar demographics to DISD. The only people who seem to benefit from the current system are legislators who want to claim that they are balancing the state's budget by underfunding education so they can keep throwing money at their ridiculous pet projects.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,412,948 times
Quote:
The only people who seem to benefit from the current system are legislators
And rural schools. Last I saw my tiny rural home town ISD was close to 50% funded by value capture, 20% by the state, and only 30% funded by local taxes.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post

It's not just Collin County school districts and it's not just "affluent" districts. The whole system of educational funding in this state is stupid, but the alternative is a state income tax. About the only reason we're OK with the current method of funding schools via property taxes is because we'd be FAR worse off paying a state income tax (as would be, I would guess, most of the moneyed people on this board).

Do you think this is a new issue or something...because this system has been around since 1993 (and the affluent have been complaining about it for the past 25 years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_plan

Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,780,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not just Collin County school districts and it's not just "affluent" districts. The whole system of educational funding in this state is stupid, but the alternative is a state income tax. About the only reason we're OK with the current method of funding schools via property taxes is because we'd be FAR worse off paying a state income tax (as would be, I would guess, most of the moneyed people on this board).

Do you think this is a new issue or something...because this system has been around since 1993 (and the affluent have been complaining about it for the past 25 years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_plan

Why is the alternative an income tax? They currently balance other parts of the budget with money intended for education. So each year they collect money from ISDs around the state and send a smaller absolute dollar figure back to schools. I'm just asking that money collected for education be used on education. Maybe that still won't be enough, but we won't know until we try (also, I suspect it would be enough in most cases)

Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Only problem is that property taxes have created the educational discrepancy by geographic area. For example, Canada doesn't have problems with school quality differing by postal code. (As many Canadian posters have said in other forums, "Ask a real estate agent about which areas have the best schools and he/she would be dumbfounded by that question.")

Maybe Canada's system is worth something compelling for Americans to examine?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,180,293 times
I understand your point but this specific rally is for Collin County, though people from other counties should support as well. Use it as an oppurrunity to put this issue on the table for discussion. We are all for helping poor districts pay their bills but not at the cost of cutting similar essential programs for local children here or for keep lowering benefits for our teachers. Each Collin County district has debt that needs to be payed back sooner or later. Frisco ISD is literally drowning in debt.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Why is the alternative an income tax? They currently balance other parts of the budget with money intended for education. So each year they collect money from ISDs around the state and send a smaller absolute dollar figure back to schools. I'm just asking that money collected for education be used on education. Maybe that still won't be enough, but we won't know until we try (also, I suspect it would be enough in most cases)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Only problem is that property taxes have created the educational discrepancy by geographic area. For example, Canada doesn't have problems with school quality differing by postal code. (As many Canadian posters have said in other forums, "Ask a real estate agent about which areas have the best schools and he/she would be dumbfounded by that question.")

Maybe Canada's system is worth something compelling for Americans to examine?
If it was that simple, they'd have done that years ago. The fact that they haven't should tell you all you need to know.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM

578 posts, read 479,957 times
It's fair to support rural counties, but there should be a cap.

Just because Collin County is growing and its property tax has increased by 30-40% in the last few years, doesn't mean rural counties deserve 40% more fund as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas