Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:19 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It's possible Aston Martin of Dallas got one for a customer event or something.
That's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 01:29 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Could someone explain the thread title ? State apparatus ? ?
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to French Marxist philosopher Louis Althusser's concept of the ideological State Apparatus. Althusser argued that institutions such as the educational system, the media, etc., in serving to provide legitimacy for the sovereign state, functioned as 'apparatus' for the state, or State Apparatus.

Similarly, conspicuous display and consumption of elite luxury automobiles serves to validate the status of their lessors, and thereby to maintain the legitimacy of the capitalist state system under which the luxury vehicle market functions. Hence, fancy cars are a State Apparatus.

At least, that's what I get out of it

Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to French Marxist philosopher Louis Althusser's concept of the ideological State Apparatus. Althusser argued that institutions such as the educational system, the media, etc., in serving to provide legitimacy for the sovereign state, functioned as 'apparatus' for the state, or State Apparatus.

Similarly, conspicuous display and consumption of elite luxury automobiles serves to validate the status of their lessors, and thereby to maintain the legitimacy of the capitalist state system under which the luxury vehicle market functions. Hence, fancy cars are a State Apparatus.

At least, that's what I get out of it
Considering that the OP regularly uses the term “I seen ______”, I’m pretty sure there’s a misspelling of
the term “status” involved, and not some esoteric Marxism.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I notice really nice cars are being driven in West Plano, West Frisco area. I go to the Cowboys Fit gym and have seen some Lambos, Ferraris, Porsche GT3 turbos, Bentleys, G Wagon AMGs and too many Range Rovers. I know the Cowboys practice here but even the people who go to the gym here drive really fancy cars. I've seen some young kid rip through the parking lot other day in a sky blue GT3 Porsche 911 turbocharged. I heard the exhaust on that beast almost a mile away.

After seeing all of that, I realize the people in this area are either really rich or trying to fit the status quo.

In general, do people really judge others by the car they drive?
I tend to judge people more harshly if I see that they're driving an outrageously expensive car. I don't think less of someone for driving a 20 year-old Toyota...in fact I think more highly of them.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
It's still a very expensive car, no doubt, but yes... Getting attention with your car and really standing out takes $300k+ or more.

My 911 turbo is pretty commonplace in the metroplex, but on the times when I've driven it cross country, I've had kids in cars video me driving by. Here, it doesn't get a second glance.
After a GT-R flirtation I'm back to a Corvette guy. Your 911 Turbo would get my attention. IMO is the world's best "exotic". They usually start, the heater works, even the AC isn't awful, they are relative bargains and although I never really got the hang of correcting oversteer* and my butt is just too big - it's just a magnificent platform. As a bonus I'm not sure any car sounds better at WOT and the ride on the street is alright too. My GT-R rode like a cinder block on the street.

*I was thinking about going in 1/3s on one of my wife's bosses 911 turbo track only cars. Through all that I put about 100 track miles on the thing including "lessons" from the boss and legit pro lessons and it got weird under me several times. As you know corrective measures that work well in a 'vette or most anything else might be a death sentence in a hot and light 911T.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Having lived in Houston a number of years and DFW metro now, I see more high end vehicles in DFW by a wide margin. Houston is an engineering town and engineers I knew there are more into function than appearances. Acura legend first generation was a very common car on business arking lots even 20 years after they were introduced.

Pro athletes had high end cars in Houston. But as you went up to the business President and C suite's you saw more mundane vehicles. I worked for a company which had two fairly senior executives kidnapped for ransom. They had security assessments of their home and had drivers, usually in a suburban driven by a former law enforcement person trained in high speed escape in a vehicle.

A golf buddy retired with nearly 7 figure number of shares of the company stock and drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee while working and "up graded" to a Cadillac CUV in retirement. The idea was not to stand out, they did not need nor want to advertise who they were.

Dallas seems to have many more of the "look at me" crowd vs Houston.

I lived in NYC metro as well as an upper end neighborhood in Pittsburgh and they too were less this way than Dallas seems.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
After a GT-R flirtation I'm back to a Corvette guy. Your 911 Turbo would get my attention. IMO is the world's best "exotic". They usually start, the heater works, even the AC isn't awful, they are relative bargains and although I never really got the hang of correcting oversteer* and my butt is just too big - it's just a magnificent platform. As a bonus I'm not sure any car sounds better at WOT and the ride on the street is alright too. My GT-R rode like a cinder block on the street.

*I was thinking about going in 1/3s on one of my wife's bosses 911 turbo track only cars. Through all that I put about 100 track miles on the thing including "lessons" from the boss and legit pro lessons and it got weird under me several times. As you know corrective measures that work well in a 'vette or most anything else might be a death sentence in a hot and light 911T.
The thing that hurts the 911 in the $150-$300k price range is that the styling of it's competitors really stands out in comparison. Aston Martin, McLaren, Lamborghini... all their cars have much more presence than a 911 does, even if they may not cost as much.

But, in return, the 911 IS the most usable daily supercar. I have toyed with the idea of getting a McLaren 12C or 570S, but I'm on a few car forums that cater to the high end car market, and pretty much everyone complains about the lack of reliability in comparison to Porsche. That holds true whether it's Ferrari or Lamborghini or any other brand, though from what I hear, the Ferrari California is very reliable. (For a Ferrari, anyway!)

As far as tracking goes, it's a car where you really have to remember to stay in it (and sometimes, push even harder!) mid corner to maintain your line. The AWD helps immensely with this, though Porsche purists prefer RWD models mainly for track days. Most likely, that turbo you drove had been converted to RWD... which is fun if you really know what you're doing, but for the occasional track day driver, AWD is much easier to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Dallas seems to have many more of the "look at me" crowd vs Houston.

I lived in NYC metro as well as an upper end neighborhood in Pittsburgh and they too were less this way than Dallas seems.
I disagree. Dallas has a car culture that can only be equaled by a few cities in California, or Miami. It's not about the "look at me" crowd, it's about driving the best that's available.

As far as NYC or any northern city, the weather is a big detractor to owning high end cars. No point in paying $300k or more for a car when you can only take it out for a couple months a year and the rest of the time it's rainy or there's snow on the ground.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:22 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
My husband is considering replacing his Audi with an Aston. I told him that if it’s in shop all the time he gets to deal with it.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM

188 posts, read 230,828 times
Quote:
The GT3 isn't turbocharged. The next one might be.
That's why they make the GT2

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 PM

94 posts, read 287,882 times
High end cars definitely get attention here. But it doesn’t always have to be just $ cars. For a few years I had a relatively nice ‘67 Deville convertible - triple white; just a No.3/$10k condition car. It NEVER failed to get honks, waves, pictures when out driving - at just about every light. It ALWAYS got parked up front by the valet. I’m not an attention guy so it was always a little embarrassing.

So I get “driving the best available” and can respect that. But I always thought that if you wanted to be a “look at me” guy - it can be done for way cheaper than it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas