Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM

788 posts, read 1,224,707 times

Advertisements

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...225609435.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfa...=287-615084857

“...One time, Cornish said her daughter, who is now 22, wanted to dress up as a nurse during what she called a ‘Colonial Day’ at school. She says a student told her that wasn’t possible.

“A kid told her that she couldn’t be a nurse and that she had to be a slave because 'that’s what you were.'”

None of this is surprising to me living in the area, but I do laugh when people on this board say Carroll is diverse, well, “because they have Asian students.” That about sums it all up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,810 times
cue kyam11 in 3... 2... 1...

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 PM

149 posts, read 147,214 times
haha, stop the presses... another news piece about racist white kids

Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
When I was in high school I had a close friend whose family moved from the diverse RISD to Carroll ISD. After she moved she became friends with a Chinese girl who spoke like a valley girl. I chatted with her once and she complained that the other students assumed she was a foreign student. She wasn’t and it was perfectly clear when you spoke to her. Her parents owned a local chain of successful restaurants.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 AM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
cue kyam11 in 3... 2... 1...
Yes I will have an opinion as I live here. Should I say cue you every time someone posts something regarding Dallas?

After all this is an opinion board so without opinions what is the point of the board?

Having said that there is no defense for this. There was another video a few months ago showing kids (from Carroll) saying the same word in a hotel room after a dance. Again there is no defense of this. I am married to an Asian and of course my 3 kids are half Asian. We have asked them over the years if they have ever felt any racist attitude or words towards them. Other than their close friends making jokes (which is fine) they have said no. My wife has also felt nothing geared towards her

My friend saw a picture of the starting 11 of the soccer team the other day and he texted me nice picture with the token 1 non white kid.

In the end the racial makeup of a city is what it is.

Too bad these kids in these videos have likely ruined their lives as if anyone ever sees these videos they probablY get turned away from colleges and jobs later in life. We teach our kids that things you do now can affect you in the future.

Not sure this is that shocking that a person made racial slurs against another person. It happens every day and will continue to happen.

I do find it funny that someone wants to bring politics in at the end of the article. That is like saying when Clinton was in office that sexual harassment is fine because the President did it.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Gee.. I wonder if this ever happens in predominately Black schools like Duncanville or SOC. Stupid kids mixed with alcohol, pot and cell phones.

It's only news when it's some rich white kid is doing it. I would suspect the majority of the kids in Southlake get along very well and are pretty much color blind.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,107,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Gee.. I wonder if this ever happens in predominately Black schools like Duncanville or SOC. Stupid kids mixed with alcohol, pot and cell phones.
Just to clarify, Duncanville High isn't predominately Black. The school and ISD are majority Hispanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would suspect the majority of the kids in Southlake get along very well and are pretty much color blind.
i agree. That's likely the case in most high schools, regardless of location.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-07-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Yes I will have an opinion as I live here. Should I say cue you every time someone posts something regarding Dallas?

After all this is an opinion board so without opinions what is the point of the board?

Having said that there is no defense for this. There was another video a few months ago showing kids (from Carroll) saying the same word in a hotel room after a dance. Again there is no defense of this. I am married to an Asian and of course my 3 kids are half Asian. We have asked them over the years if they have ever felt any racist attitude or words towards them. Other than their close friends making jokes (which is fine) they have said no. My wife has also felt nothing geared towards her

My friend saw a picture of the starting 11 of the soccer team the other day and he texted me nice picture with the token 1 non white kid.

In the end the racial makeup of a city is what it is.

Too bad these kids in these videos have likely ruined their lives as if anyone ever sees these videos they probablY get turned away from colleges and jobs later in life. We teach our kids that things you do now can affect you in the future.

Not sure this is that shocking that a person made racial slurs against another person. It happens every day and will continue to happen.

I do find it funny that someone wants to bring politics in at the end of the article. That is like saying when Clinton was in office that sexual harassment is fine because the President did it.
Occurrences like this strike me a couple of ways.
1). It is sad and regrettable that "white" kids ever utter the n-word in public or private or think it for that matter - outside say an academic illustration or maybe as part of play or a reading etc. That word is packed with more hate and inflammatory power than any word I'm aware of....calling a white guy a cracker isn't close.

2). I'm not one for banning much of anything. The n-word should remain in Huckleberry Finn and other legitimate works. However, especially the parents of white kids should banish that word from their children's vocabularies.

3). All that said these kids will suffer. Their families will suffer. Reaction to incidents like this are disproportionate to the offense. Kids murder other kids and receive less press and their families suffer less push back.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM

313 posts, read 368,653 times
The kids won't be scarred for life, unlike the affluenza case in the greater Ft Worth area. However, hopefully they learned a lesson.

HP certainly still has its issues. One thing I believe HP could do is to rent yellow dog school buses instead of Greyhound type buses for its road trips. They don't have a fleet of buses so they rent for every road trip. One group considered using yellow dogs but then their group would be looked down upon because they'd be the only one to use them.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
The kids won't be scarred for life, unlike the affluenza case in the greater Ft Worth area. However, hopefully they learned a lesson.

HP certainly still has its issues. One thing I believe HP could do is to rent yellow dog school buses instead of Greyhound type buses for its road trips. They don't have a fleet of buses so they rent for every road trip. One group considered using yellow dogs but then their group would be looked down upon because they'd be the only one to use them.

Wait, so a part of the solution to being insulated from other races and thereby not being aware of how your actions will appear to others..... is to rent yellow school buses instead of charters? Beyond the fact that I don't think this solves anything, I very much doubt there is excess capacity in many districts to support chartering buses to smaller districts like HPISD which lacks its own fleet. We showed up in yellow buses in high school and sometimes we played wealthier towns. The way we got over "being looked down on" (which I'm not even sure was happening) was to kick their butts on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas