Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM

271 posts, read 296,124 times

Advertisements

It is wednesday, so I will try to help the OP out, :-).
1. If you work in downtown dallas and your wife works in Richardson. Personally, I would not want to drive from the area that you mentioned to downtown twice a day, 500 times a year. IMHO, in DFW, try to keep the distance of your commute under 30mi one way. This way, on a good day, if you take the highway/tollway, you can get to work/home in about 30 minutes.
Assuming you end up buying at the location that you mentioned. Everyday, either you take the DNT, which will cost your money. 75, it is similar to 114, a commute hwy during rush hour, or local roads. Neither of the 3 options sound appealing to me. You will have a better understanding of what i am talking about if you drive on those roads during rush hour.
A more feasible location is Plano, it is closer to downtown and richardson. However, a new construction in Plano(west of 75), starting price is $450k. Generally speaking, west plano is preferred over central plano and central plano is preferred over east plano. If you are not willing to pay $450k for a new construction, maybe consider older houses?

2. 2.38% is about average for property tax in DFW. There is no state income tax in Texas, so the government needs to get its money from property tax. The $182/month hoa does sound expensive. Another thing to keep in mind is that when you have HOA, there are rules that you have to follow, like mow your lawn regularly.

Bottom line, if you really care about school, and you believe in order for your son to succeed in life, he needs to get the best education possible, you should buy in west plano. the sacrifice that you have to make is if you buy in west plano, assuming a budget of 400k, you will not get your new construction. if you want new construction, and a reasonable commute, central plano is your best option, assuming you are willing to spend at least $450k on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you’re referring to downtown Dallas, forget either one and move to Richardson. Great schools, great commute, lots of families since schools are good, diverse. A new home is not worth spending 2-2.5 hours a day commuting.

I am pretty sure OP is indian. All my indian coworkers bought new construction. I really think when it comes to buying a house, indians are pretty determined about getting a new construction.
If OP has a budget of 500k, he can get his new construction in Plano, the school district in Plano is one of the best in DFW, the commute is reasonable. downside is he will have to pay over $10k each year in property tax.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,413,448 times
Why do you need to live in Frisco with Prosper ISD? If you move a little more north across off of 380 there is tons of development in Prosper. You can find bigger lots for the price you're paying. That would be my suggestion. Prosper ISD is equally good or better than Frisco ISD if school system is of concern. Plus, DNT is really close to all those developments so you can ride that all the way downtown.

There are some concerns of traffic around that section of 380 and DNT BUT once that bridge is complete and more lanes are built which will be done by early to mid 2019. The traffic should be moving swiftly. PCR is about 15-20 minutes to DNT in traffic and then you have another half hr to get to Richardson. If you take 423 and cross over from 121 North to DNT South it'll probably take you longer or equal amount of time.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 PM

446 posts, read 846,646 times
+1 to the above comments -- you're going to have to sacrifice home size for the same amount of budget if you want new construction and need to commute downtown daily. Try to stick to areas near 75 that put you <20 mins in rush hr from the Parker Road DART station in Plano. That will get you a 1 hr downtown commute with new construction still available.

I used to do a daily downtown commute from McKinney. When the HOV was completely open, I'd get downtown in 45 mins-1 hr. Now that it's partially closed, your only <1 hr commute option is to use DART from anywhere north of Richardson.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:48 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,177,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitkumar View Post
We are relocating to Dallas and on the verge of finalizing a home in Dallas. We have two options to choose from Miramonte, Frisco -Prosper ISD , or Phillips Creek ranch -Frisco ISD . We have a 10 yr old boy and trying to make the best decision in terms of kids of his age and school district. Any help is appreciated.
If you have a son and a wife then after the move, you should be closer to them not on the road for long hours. Don’t get carried away with the dazzle of new house, think of realities. Look at homes not to far from your work, possibly near a DART station. You should be able to find really nice looking, well built and decent sized homes in Richardson and Plano feeding to excellent schools.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Why do you need to live in Frisco with Prosper ISD? If you move a little more north across off of 380 there is tons of development in Prosper. You can find bigger lots for the price you're paying. That would be my suggestion. Prosper ISD is equally good or better than Frisco ISD if school system is of concern. Plus, DNT is really close to all those developments so you can ride that all the way downtown.
Sure, OP can look even further north if he doesn't mind leaving home at 6:30 to get to work at 8:00. And then factor in that traffic will get worse every single year.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 9,420 times
Thanks for all your inputs. I will certainly look at homes near Plano. What do you all think of Trails of Glenwood, Plano subdivision ? Grand homes is one of the builders.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM

446 posts, read 846,646 times
You can search on here for Grand Homes and you'll soon find that many have had personal horror stories w them or know of people that have. They are not a builder recommended by most.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 AM

op, if you are going to buy in plano, try to avoid east plano. east of 75 is considered as east plano, central plano is between 75 and preston rd, west of preston rd is west plano. In terms of school district, west plano>central>east.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,413,448 times
West Plano is where its at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas