Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,955 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've been reading this forum for a few days now and have gained a lot of info about the area in general. I'm looking to get some relevant information from this knowledgeable group. Thanks ahead of time for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

About us: a family of 4 (we are in our mid 30's and 2 kids 6 and 1) currently in Seattle looking to relocate to the Plano area, hubby negotiating a job offer in the Legacy West area. If all goes well we will be moving this summer and kid 1 will start 1st grade in TX in the fall. We've been in the Seattle area for about a decade but last few winters have really taken their toll on us. Really tired of the grey cloud cover... hence the TX area. We aren't too outdoorsy, not really into hiking, biking, kayaking etc. Mostly homebodies, exploring parks and family oriented activities around the city, although in our younger days we explored the pacific northwest area extensively. We live in the Seattle suburbs but within city limits. We are of Indian origin and have spent early years in India so the heat is something that we believe we can handle after the acclimatization period.

Looking for / Budget: Buying budget would be under $700K for a 4 bed. Don't need a huge lot, just enough for kids to run around and ideally a small pool. A somewhat older home in good condition will do but preferably newer (not necessarily new construction).

Checklist: A few things that we are looking for - great schools (I realize most West Plano schools are considered good to excellent. Proximity to job (Legacy West) a commute about 20 mins. Proximity to day-to-day shopping, errands etc (grocery stores, pharmacy etc).

We are considering zip codes: 75093, 75024, 75023, 75025 (mainly because of shorter commute times).

Ques: In 75013 (Allen) I've seen some homes that fit the bill and they are relatively newer. This falls in Allen ISD. Any opinions on if Allen ISD schools are better / equal to PISD? Some ratings show the district is slightly better, but seems like relatively similar. Is 75013 a more than 20 minute commute during peak hour? We will be visiting in the next few weeks and then decide what is best fit for our kid.

Ques: Looking at some properties with the following school feeder pattern, any opinion on if one is better than the other?
Barksdale>Renner>Shepton>Plano West
Brinker>Renner>Shepton>Plano West
Gulledge>Robinson>Jasper>Plano West
Andrews>Rice>Jasper>Plano West

Ques: Suggestions on a school that has diversity beyond the Asian population, don't want to be in a neighborhood that's overly dominated by just one group. Ideally would like to be in a balanced neighborhood. Looked up school demographic stats and the elementary schools around Carpenter park & Russell creek park have a much larger Asian population as compared to the schools West of DNT.

Ques: Am I correct in assuming that Plano has less master planned communities compared to Frisco, Allen etc? because... Plano is slightly older construction, well established city.

Thanks all! Any other valuable insight welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:52 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
Honestly, I'd just stick with West Plano. You could make the Allen commute in your desired commute time (assuming you aren't way over by 75), but traffic is just getting worse and worse every year. Allen also has one high school and it's massive. That works for some people, and doesn't for others. Both cities have excellent access to grocery stores and pharmacies.

Plano, as you know, has multiple, somewhat smaller high schools. New construction neighborhoods in either Allen or Plano tend to skew more Asian than older, already established neighborhoods. Keep in mind most "old" houses in Plano were built in the 1970s, so they're not really all that old. Most of the older houses in West Plano are probably from the 1990s-2000s. I would suggest buying a well taken care of house in a more convenient neighborhood as opposed to something newer but a little further out.

Most of Plano, especially towards the west side, is definitely what I would consider a master planned community. They might lack some of the amenities of newer communities (pools, gyms, private parks, etc.) but they have a similar look and feel. Most probably have HOA dues too.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Just about every school in those zip codes as well as neighboring ones in Frisco or Allen will have good to excellent schools. They will also be predominantly be white and Asian (mostly Chinese and Indian), but there will also be other minority students naturally. I think the consensus is that Gulledge>Robinson>Jasper is probably the best sequence of schools in the areas where you are looking. They will be the most challenging and competitive. The classroom sizes of PISD, FISD, and AISD will all be similar, but the campuses of PISD and AISD will be larger and will offer more class and extra circular options.

700,000 will get you a lot of house in Plano. The only places that will be out of your budget will be in certain neighborhoods in 75093. Even if you were to decrease your budget to 400,000 to 500,000, you should find that you will have a lot of options. The houses in Allen and Frisco are generally newer, though.

Welcome to Dallas!

Old 05-01-2019, 02:33 PM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
You are in a good spot where you have an option for a very short commute with great schools and facilities in general. Allen is fine but I would leave it out just to cut your commute. I would focus on Northwest Plano and South Frisco. You should be able to find a good house in your price range. Welcome to DFW!

Old 05-01-2019, 03:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
This is a list of available inventory in area feeding to Renner Middle School (most suitable for your needs) within $600-800k price range.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0-800000/sby-2

For Legacy West jobs, Normandy Estates, Cypress Point & Shoal Creek are ideal neighborhoods. You’ll have Arbor Hills Nature Reserve, golf course and neighborhood parks at walking distance. Plano Park & Rec just announced another urban style family park for that area as a cherry on the cake. There are many indoor family entertainment venues within 5 minute drive. Parr Library and Tom Muehlenbeck Recreation Center are great free resources for young families. There is a well liked hospital near by as well as pharmacy, grocery, nursery, mall, cinema, popular preschools and everything else you may need. You’ll specially love local dinning options. Indian stores are 10-15 minute drive. To be honest, immediate area is diverse and has some Indians but mostly whites.

You can also look at Willow Bend area near Plano West High School. Its awesome and just a few more minutes from Legacy West. Avignon here is a newer and popular neighborhood with more Indians.

Schools are great in this zip code but if you decide to go private at some point, this is a perfect spot between your job and popular private schools.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 05-01-2019 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 04:05 PM

194 posts, read 181,172 times
We just got back a few days ago from a 10 day house hunting tour. My husband is being relocated to Legacy West also. We feel much more comfortable about our move now after being there - we liked all the areas we toured! Looked at West Plano, Frisco, Allen, and Prosper. Very nice areas with plenty of shopping, restaurants, entertainment around!! Way more than we are used too! lol!

Biggest tip - tour the schools!! While all the schools put up great numbers, touring them let’s you get a closer look and feel and will probably help put you at ease too about the decision! Ask questions to district if you have them. Another family that is also relocating with the company did not do this and they left unable to decide on an area because they felt unsure about their school choice!

Also we toured areas by ourselves without our agent to get a feel for them for closeness of parks, schools, grocery etc.. This helped in that we were already a little familiar with the areas and were taking a second or third look with our realtor for houses.

And of course do your own research which you sound like you are already doing about the areas. Our realtor was impressed with how much I already knew even though I’d only been in the area one other time for 4 days. Oh and talk to the locals when you are down there, they are VERY friendly!!

Honestly I felt all the cities were great! It’ll just depend on what works for your family!
Good Luck!!

Old 05-01-2019, 04:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times
So, I read your post, and I think you'd be a great fit in my hood (Brinker feeder), though I think you've listed a bunch of great options.

A few comments (I'm Indian origin, but was born here):
All the feeder paths you've mentioned are outstanding, and I would not worry too much in comparing minor difference (at that level it will come down more to peer groups). Robinson will definitely have more Asians than Shepton, but everyone meets up at Plano West.

Barksdale area homes provide poor connectivity to Indian grocery stores (if that matters to you). It's also very close to Prestonwood Baptist, and as a result, many of the homes in this neighborhood tend to be more GOP (if that matters to you).

The Brinker area homes are pretty mixed, but neighbors are also older. I'm in my mid 30's, 1 kid, and I'm one of the youngest people on the block. Most of these neigbhorhoods are turning over though.

Gulledge/Andrews - you're extending your commute a bit, these homes are cheaper though and roughly same age as 75093. Good access to Indian stores and "activities" (Kumon, RSM, etc.), but skews more Asian.

If you want a small pool, I think you'll have better luck in Plano than in Frisco. You're right that homes in Frisco are more master planned, so there's a community pool in many of these places. In Plano it seems like your house is weird if you don't have a pool.

honestly, you're really splitting hairs at this point - you have a lot of great options and I would look and try to find a house you love. If you end up in the Brinker path, let me know!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Unexpected gave good insight from Indian perspective but school wise, both Barksdale and Brinker are awesome and both feed to Renner. As far as Dem/Republic divide, it’s pretty similar in whole zip code. I’m partial to Brinker as my kids attended and loved it but Barksdale is equally loved by people who send kids there. I think their academic scores are a tad bit higher too and there is a Kumon practically next doors.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 05-01-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 05:28 PM

40 posts, read 81,311 times
I would also suggest to view the school's (and PTA) Website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That should give you a feel about what they do beyond the standard classroom instruction. Make sure you put in your home's address in the PISD website to make sure your home is zoned towards the school you want - it is not determined by zip code.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljn1 View Post
I would also suggest to view the school's (and PTA) Website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That should give you a feel about what they do beyond the standard classroom instruction. Make sure you put in your home's address in the PISD website to make sure your home is zoned towards the school you want - it is not determined by zip code.

That’s always a good idea for Texas as school districts don’t follow town or zip code borders.

https://www.pisd.edu/Page/1794
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: