Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:39 AM

514 posts, read 438,837 times

Advertisements

Looking at the PISD website, it looks like buses are not provided for elementary schools (list given on website - 8 of them). It doesn't say anything about Middle schools but I assume that if a student lives 2 miles or farther from the assigned middle school, they will be provided a school bus.

The Fare Busing program seems to offer transportation for students who might need it.

We haven't finalized a rental yet but planning to do so soon. Are we already late for the Fare Busing program since spaces seems to be limited and it's first come first served basis.

Bus finder tools: https://www.pisd.edu/Page/6723

If I enter an address and it doesn't show me a middle school, does that mean school bus won't be provided for the missing middle school?

For example, a certain address in Zillow shows Rice as the assigned Middle school but when I enter the address in this Bus Finder tool, it doesn't show Rice middle school, does that mean kids will attend Rice Middle but parents have to either arrange their own transportation or enroll in Fare Busing?

It's making me nervous.. have few rentals in mind but I was only looking at their assigned schools, maybe I should be narrowing down by bus availability ?

Tell me what I should know about buses for elementary and middle school in West Plano. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Zillow is worthless. Go to the Plano ISD website if you really want to know what school a house is assigned to.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 81,399 times
Unless you live in the Andrews Elementary area (one of 3 schools that feed into Rice) then there are no buses to Rice Middle (always check with PISD not Zillow or other websites). You would have to have a medical need to get some form of bus service. Kids in the area will get the buses when they go to Jasper and Plano West High Schools. There is a small section homes at the corner of McDermott and Independence that probably should get busing but do not. Parents drop off/pick up or they walk or bike. There are also day cares and other after school programs (non-PISD) that can arrange for transportation if needed for a price.

OP there there are about 20 rentals in the Skaggs/Wyatt Elementary that feeds into Rice zone without having to cross any major roads. Unless you have some need to be in a particular home, expand your search. There is a home I see on Realtor.com (4bdr/2.5 baths) for rent that is literally in between Skaggs and Rice for $2150/mo. No busing necessary. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:15 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
Just pick up phone and call. If it’s walkable, usually bus isn’t offered but if there is a special need, they can accommodate. This is how Collin County districts work, you can rent 2 miles away to justify a bus or next doors to a school if you don’t want kid to walk and have no inclination to drive them. You can arrange with another parent to do it for you as a favor or for a fee.

Brinker, Barksdale and Renner are excellent schools and have some nice apartments nearby so may be you should look at rentals there.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 AM

Yes, I'm double checking on PISD. I was looking at the MLS links sent by realtors that usually have the school assignment as part of the listing but I agree, PISD website would be the true source of verification!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Zillow is worthless. Go to the Plano ISD website if you really want to know what school a house is assigned to.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Thank you for your reply!
Had Rice middle in mind and Skaggs but from your reply, looks like there won't be an official school bus if we rent in that area. Yes, you are right (didn't know this before), I checked and a house that's zoned for Andrews and Middle) is available at 2424 Cimmaron Dr and based on Bus Finder it would have the bus for Rice..would it have the bus available for Rice Middle..still no bus for Andrews.

I've no idea how safe or prevalent it's to bike to schools in West Plano (coming from NY so that's the context). The rentals that you mentioned between Skaggs and Rice, would they be within reasonable biking distance for kids going to 5 and 6 grades?

Also I found one listing where the house was within few houses of Rice, I suppose that may be the best then.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this who whether make the bus a priority or if it's affordable whether via private busing service or some other means (if parent can't drop off and pick up).

It becomes a big commitment for parents to drop off and pick up daily esp. if one is working in Irving or Dallas (that may be the case of our jobs..not sure at the moment).

Any such day-care for older kids (5th or 6th grade) that offer reasonably priced transportation services?

I would appreciate it if you have any listing in mind, you can send them via PM? Main criteria is Skaggs Elementary and Rice Middle.

One more question, so no school buses for Andrews, Bethany, Davis, Hedgcoxe, Hightower, Hughston, Skaggs and Thomas. A better way would be to look for Rice zones houses, forget about what elementary comes with that house since no bus would be available for primary anyway, at least try to rent a house where at least can get bus to Rice middle..I think this would be the right way to go, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljn1 View Post
Unless you live in the Andrews Elementary area (one of 3 schools that feed into Rice) then there are no buses to Rice Middle (always check with PISD not Zillow or other websites). You would have to have a medical need to get some form of bus service. Kids in the area will get the buses when they go to Jasper and Plano West High Schools. There is a small section homes at the corner of McDermott and Independence that probably should get busing but do not. Parents drop off/pick up or they walk or bike. There are also day cares and other after school programs (non-PISD) that can arrange for transportation if needed for a price.

OP there there are about 20 rentals in the Skaggs/Wyatt Elementary that feeds into Rice zone without having to cross any major roads. Unless you have some need to be in a particular home, expand your search. There is a home I see on Realtor.com (4bdr/2.5 baths) for rent that is literally in between Skaggs and Rice for $2150/mo. No busing necessary. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Thank you for your reply! No medical need, don't want to be doing daily pickups/drop-off as it can get tricky, unable to miss work during those times etc. Could do for a free with commercial services but not sure if the cost is too high! It IS the case here in NY so asking how are things for such things in Plano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Just pick up phone and call. If it’s walkable, usually bus isn’t offered but if there is a special need, they can accommodate. This is how Collin County districts work, you can rent 2 miles away to justify a bus or next doors to a school if you don’t want kid to walk and have no inclination to drive them. You can arrange with another parent to do it for you as a favor or for a fee.

Brinker, Barksdale and Renner are excellent schools and have some nice apartments nearby so may be you should look at rentals there.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:46 PM

40 posts, read 81,399 times
Like UnfairPark mentioned within 2 miles of school location, no bus. This area is very safe - the occasional car break ins, thefts, etc. do happen but 99% they are usually crimes of convenience (leaving doors unlocked, open garages, etc.) Yes your child can safely walk/bike to either school. There are kids in Kinder who bike alone to/from Skaggs (and probably the other schools too). The house mentioned previously is like .25 miles from either school and only a few feet from the main road that connects both schools - the sidewalk is wide and open. Look on Google maps at street view and "walk" it. Walking they would be home in 5-10 mins if that. For elementary only there is a program called PASAR through PISD. It is after school care, reasonably priced and your kid stays in school until you pick them up by 6:30 M-Th and 6 on Fridays. There is no similar program at Rice.

Just to clarify only Skaggs, Wyatt and Andrews elementary feed to Rice. The other schools you mentioned go to other middles (some equally as good).

Part of middle school is letting go and having your child start to have responsibility and independence (which was greatly emphasized at Rice). Of course with any situation these days you should always be teaching your children about being aware of surroundings and other basic safety guidelines. Also, your middle schooler could be involved in after school activities - tutoring, band, clubs, athletics, etc. so there would be no bus service anyway.

You mentioned your possible jobs being in Irving or Dallas (downtown?) - why not move closer to your jobs? That commute although lots do it would not be favorable and some with tolls. There are other great school districts closer to those locations (others can chime in on that one). Maybe they have the busing you desire. Are you looking for similar transportation for yourself? If so there is no public transportation in that area. DART doesn't reach that far. Dont get me wrong, PISD is a great school district but it is not the only game in town. We are lucky that this metro area has multiple districts with good reputations.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Thank you for your reply! It's reassuring to hear that it's been done and I won't be the first parent to do so :-)

Agree on the letting go part..didn't even think on those lines but you are on point!

What's the that house that's mid way between Skaggs and Rice..what road should I enter in Realtor.com? I think that general area would be ideal..both kids can bike to their schools.

Regarding jobs, will prefer to work in Plano and have a few employers in mind, worst case may look outward. Still few things up in the air in that regards so will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljn1 View Post
Like UnfairPark mentioned within 2 miles of school location, no bus. This area is very safe - the occasional car break ins, thefts, etc. do happen but 99% they are usually crimes of convenience (leaving doors unlocked, open garages, etc.) Yes your child can safely walk/bike to either school. There are kids in Kinder who bike alone to/from Skaggs (and probably the other schools too). The house mentioned previously is like .25 miles from either school and only a few feet from the main road that connects both schools - the sidewalk is wide and open. Look on Google maps at street view and "walk" it. Walking they would be home in 5-10 mins if that. For elementary only there is a program called PASAR through PISD. It is after school care, reasonably priced and your kid stays in school until you pick them up by 6:30 M-Th and 6 on Fridays. There is no similar program at Rice.

Just to clarify only Skaggs, Wyatt and Andrews elementary feed to Rice. The other schools you mentioned go to other middles (some equally as good).

Part of middle school is letting go and having your child start to have responsibility and independence (which was greatly emphasized at Rice). Of course with any situation these days you should always be teaching your children about being aware of surroundings and other basic safety guidelines. Also, your middle schooler could be involved in after school activities - tutoring, band, clubs, athletics, etc. so there would be no bus service anyway.

You mentioned your possible jobs being in Irving or Dallas (downtown?) - why not move closer to your jobs? That commute although lots do it would not be favorable and some with tolls. There are other great school districts closer to those locations (others can chime in on that one). Maybe they have the busing you desire. Are you looking for similar transportation for yourself? If so there is no public transportation in that area. DART doesn't reach that far. Dont get me wrong, PISD is a great school district but it is not the only game in town. We are lucky that this metro area has multiple districts with good reputations.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 AM

403 posts, read 273,179 times
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M74698-93458

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M78616-04402

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M70882-76084

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M74438-01521

Here's the area you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: