Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:48 AM

27 posts, read 37,543 times

Advertisements

Couldn't think of a title to be more descriptive. Not even sure if this area I'm looking is considered east of the city but here we go - The zipcode is 75227 which I think basically covers most of the City and some.

As such, wasn't sure if I could rely on the statistics provided by city-data for the zipcode, as I'd assume it includes some very bad neighborhood.

The specific location I'm looking at is in the red box in the attached image, basically right below I-30 HOV, few miles south of the white rock lake, which I guess can be considered Buckner Terrace / Everglade Park neighborhood.

The neighborhood seems pretty old and outdated but there was a small community right by the triangular open space area with newer and nicer houses. I think the school zone here is pretty bad but we've no kids at the moment so as long as it won't impact salability, I am ok. Both me and my fiance's company is less than 10 miles away from this location and everything else we consider important within 30 minutes distance, so I think the location is golden along with the type of the house/price range that I've seen so far.

So as long as the crime rate and other things are considered to be alright in this area, I am thinking of paying a visit soon to check it out. Other areas I've looked based on recommendations that I've seen here on the forums are Addison which seems pretty good also, parts of Richardson and Plano.

I would appreciate any insight as I couldn't really find too much about this specific area based on my own research
Attached Thumbnails
Another guy looking to come to Dallas - neighborhood insights east of downtown?-dallas.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 11:51 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
Just curious, Why that area ?

Nevermind re-read your post. IMO, its the hood

Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM

379 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyerker View Post
Couldn't think of a title to be more descriptive. Not even sure if this area I'm looking is considered east of the city but here we go - The zipcode is 75227 which I think basically covers most of the City and some.

As such, wasn't sure if I could rely on the statistics provided by city-data for the zipcode, as I'd assume it includes some very bad neighborhood.

The specific location I'm looking at is in the red box in the attached image, basically right below I-30 HOV, few miles south of the white rock lake, which I guess can be considered Buckner Terrace / Everglade Park neighborhood.

The neighborhood seems pretty old and outdated but there was a small community right by the triangular open space area with newer and nicer houses. I think the school zone here is pretty bad but we've no kids at the moment so as long as it won't impact salability, I am ok. Both me and my fiance's company is less than 10 miles away from this location and everything else we consider important within 30 minutes distance, so I think the location is golden along with the type of the house/price range that I've seen so far.

So as long as the crime rate and other things are considered to be alright in this area, I am thinking of paying a visit soon to check it out. Other areas I've looked based on recommendations that I've seen here on the forums are Addison which seems pretty good also, parts of Richardson and Plano.

I would appreciate any insight as I couldn't really find too much about this specific area based on my own research
Zip codes don't over "most of the city and some". Type the zip code into Google and you'll see it's a pretty specific area. It's a bad neighborhood. Why not consider a better neighborhood in the city? There's no reason to jump to Addison/Richardson/Plano.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Just curious, Why that area ?

Nevermind re-read your post. IMO, its the hood
darn, that's what i thought, but was being hopeful

Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
Zip codes don't over "most of the city and some". Type the zip code into Google and you'll see it's a pretty specific area. It's a bad neighborhood. Why not consider a better neighborhood in the city? There's no reason to jump to Addison/Richardson/Plano.
Really appreciate the input. since I'm not from Dallas, had no idea about the specifics of the area.
On your last sentence though, do you mean there's no reason 'NOT' to jump to Addison/Richardson/Plano?

Not trying to be a grammar police or correct you or anything, genuinely confused/questioning.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
I think he means "There is no reason NOT to jump to Rich/Plano/Addison.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, let's run that pop fly out.

I am going to guess that a 3 bedroom house built in the 50s/60s there will sell for something like $180k. Maybe less.

Go to the area around Mockingbird Elementary, and a similar house will sell for something like $450-550k.

Roughly same distance from downtown.

What reasons do you think might cause a house there off Samuell and Military Parkway to sell for a third the price of a comparable house the same distance from downtown? Any ideas at all?

Old 10-04-2019, 01:42 PM

379 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyerker View Post
Really appreciate the input. since I'm not from Dallas, had no idea about the specifics of the area.
On your last sentence though, do you mean there's no reason 'NOT' to jump to Addison/Richardson/Plano?

Not trying to be a grammar police or correct you or anything, genuinely confused/questioning.
There are lots of good neighborhoods in Dallas. You can be in the city and not in a bad neighborhood. I'm saying you do NOT need to go out to the suburbs.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I actually knew someone who lived in that new home community about 12-13 years ago. I went there a few times. I think not much has changed there since then even though the greater DFW area has seen a huge transformation in that same time.

Pros:
-the tiny little neighborhood itself is safe. Urbandale/Parkdale next door is pretty safe too but tiny.
- Newer, bigger houses that are very affordable.
- Shorter commutes.

Cons:
-no grocery stores nearby that aren’t named Wal-Mart. Like literally, zero. Next closest one is the Lakewood Whole Foods or the Tom Thumb & Kroger’s on Mockingbird or in Uptown. About 5 miles away.
-no gas stations they felt safe filling up at anywhere near their neighborhood
-nothing to do anywhere near their neighborhood. Always driving at least to Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, etc just to go eat a burger.
-the surrounding neighborhoods (Fair Park area & Pleasant Grove & Far Old East Dallas across 30) are among the most dangerous in all of Dallas. Hence, cons 1-3 above. Another poster as about to move to the Grove recently and one drive through (where he clearly spotted multiple drug dealers and heard 7 shots from the house they were considering) changed his mind.
-terrible public schools, some of the worst in DISD. Even if you don’t have kids, schools this bad keep your home values low and contribute to the gang/drug/dropout problem on your front steps.

I don’t think the few pros come anywhere near overshadowing the major cons. I would never live somewhere where I felt “trapped” once I parked my car in my garage. But YMMV. Just don’t think you’re buying into some “hidden gem” whose values will skyrocket....

There are tons better places to live in Dallas. You don’t have to choose between being hood-adjacent and Addison/Plano. Give us your budget and office zip codes and we can make some better recs!

Old 10-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I actually knew someone who lived in that new home community about 12-13 years ago. I went there a few times. I think not much has changed there since then even though the greater DFW area has seen a huge transformation in that same time.

Pros:
-the tiny little neighborhood itself is safe. Urbandale/Parkdale next door is pretty safe too but tiny.
- Newer, bigger houses that are very affordable.
- Shorter commutes.

Cons:
-no grocery stores nearby that aren’t named Wal-Mart. Like literally, zero. Next closest one is the Lakewood Whole Foods or the Tom Thumb & Kroger’s on Mockingbird or in Uptown. About 5 miles away.
-no gas stations they felt safe filling up at anywhere near their neighborhood
-nothing to do anywhere near their neighborhood. Always driving at least to Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, etc just to go eat a burger.
-the surrounding neighborhoods (Fair Park area & Pleasant Grove & Far Old East Dallas across 30) are among the most dangerous in all of Dallas. Hence, cons 1-3 above. Another poster as about to move to the Grove recently and one drive through (where he clearly spotted multiple drug dealers and heard 7 shots from the house they were considering) changed his mind.
-terrible public schools, some of the worst in DISD. Even if you don’t have kids, schools this bad keep your home values low and contribute to the gang/drug/dropout problem on your front steps.

I don’t think the few pros come anywhere near overshadowing the major cons. I would never live somewhere where I felt “trapped” once I parked my car in my garage. But YMMV. Just don’t think you’re buying into some “hidden gem” whose values will skyrocket....

There are tons better places to live in Dallas. You don’t have to choose between being hood-adjacent and Addison/Plano. Give us your budget and office zip codes and we can make some better recs!
That is super insightful, amazing!

Thanks so much, and I would def appreciate the recommendation. Our budget is anywhere from 300 to 400. We do plan on having kids asap so something bigger than 2000 sqft. My company is right in the center of downtown dallas 75201 and fiances is 75206 northwest of lakewood right near central market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas