Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,344,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
That’s a long drive from Frisco. Area around their Prestonwood Hills golf course in Plano would be much closer than Dallas, homes and location is very nice and schools are better as well.

Hills at Prestonwood Country Club - Plano Homes & Land
It’s really not a long drive at all. I live further south of the Galleria and work on the Plano/Frisco border and rarely am I in traffic for more than 40 minutes. It’s usually 25 minutes door to door every morning.. Prestonwood / 75248 is a good 10-12 minutes closer to Frisco than my house.

From Preston & Belt Line to Hall Park (where I imagine most of the finance jobs would be in Frisco) is a 15-20 minute AM commute and about a 25-30 minute PM commute. No big deal - meets the commute criteria OP wanted in an area with trees and home prices that fit their budget. Oh, and great schools too!

Plano isn’t the answer for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:57 PM

11 posts, read 13,473 times
Thank you again everyone, all these details and suggestions are really helpful.

I respect all the comments, and I know our target budget won't go very far. It looks like we'll need to start to consider upping the price range a little bit to get more options. We can go to 500K and still be within our means comfortably, so we'll extend our considerations.

The reality check helps. We hit the jackpot on our house in KC, so we're probably a little out of touch. We bought at a dip in the market, negotiated really hard, and got a fantastic house for under 300K, then we put 120K into it, and now we have the this wonderfully customized home, in a fantastic school district only 12 minutes from downtown KC, on a dead end double lot with tons of privacy and maturity. In truth, it's hard to say goodbye to our home, so we're trying to find something we love just as much somewhere else.

Nonetheless, it seems like if we up our budget we get a lot more options between 450K and 500K. But I don't think we'd be too thrilled to go any higher than that.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:36 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,187,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
Why don’t you pay attention to the actual stats of the post before your west Plano homerism kicks in?

There’s almost zero inventory in the OP’s price range there. The areas suggested have maybe a 7 minute longer drive with actual homes they could buy.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0-500000/sby-1

Old 11-25-2019, 04:07 AM

1,185 posts, read 754,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Which is the exact area suggested by the other poster. And decidedly not the one you did.

Seriously. Read.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Yeah, it can be a rude awakening, op.

To get what we wanted, we realized that we'd have to go closer to 8 or 9 rather than the 6/650 we were so set on.

In the end, we are glad we didn't compromise.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,187,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
Which is the exact area suggested by the other poster. And decidedly not the one you did.

Seriously. Read.
No. Prestonwood has two golf courses, about 20 minutes apart from each other, one in Dallas and another in Plano. Homes I posted are near Plano one, feeding either Plano West High or Hebron High (both better schools than any in RISD/DISD) and closer to Frisco. Also Plano’s police/firefighters, lower taxes/better services are good enough reasons to add more weight.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,344,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would check in 75248- the parts west of Hillcrest to minimize commutes. It’s mostly city of Dallas with desirable Richardson ISD schools. Mostly built in the 1960’s with plenty of mature trees. That’s probably pushing 30 minutes in PM traffic but an easy 20-25 min AM commute to most of Frisco
This is a terrific suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM1987 View Post
Thank you again everyone, all these details and suggestions are really helpful.

I respect all the comments, and I know our target budget won't go very far. It looks like we'll need to start to consider upping the price range a little bit to get more options. We can go to 500K and still be within our means comfortably, so we'll extend our considerations.

The reality check helps. We hit the jackpot on our house in KC, so we're probably a little out of touch. We bought at a dip in the market, negotiated really hard, and got a fantastic house for under 300K, then we put 120K into it, and now we have the this wonderfully customized home, in a fantastic school district only 12 minutes from downtown KC, on a dead end double lot with tons of privacy and maturity. In truth, it's hard to say goodbye to our home, so we're trying to find something we love just as much somewhere else.

Nonetheless, it seems like if we up our budget we get a lot more options between 450K and 500K. But I don't think we'd be too thrilled to go any higher than that.
If you up your budget to $500k, you can find a 20-25 year old house in west Plano (west of DNT) that'll put you almost on Frisco's front porch. 20-25 years is enough time for the trees to get big. The neighborhoods don't have much character and sub-$500k will buy you a house that needs a little TLC, but we're talking cosmetic updates more than major systems (plumbing/HVAC/etc). If you strike out in Prestonwood, it's at least worth taking a look. There's not much on the market below $500k but there are some out there. The schools are good too...just don't look in the sliver of Plano served by the Lewisville ISD. It makes resale harder.

DM me if you want to know more.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,135 times
As someone who moved from CA to McKinney, my advice for buying a home anywhere in DFW is to buy on the lower end of your budget, and check property tax history on the tax assessors website for Collin County. The property tax here is insane, and has added $100+per month to our mortgage payments in two years, and thousands in escrow shortages. You will absolutely have to compromise on your wish list items. East Plano has plenty of 70's ranch homes that have been renovated, awesome mature trees etc. Briarwood Estates comes to mind. KC sounds great, but so are most of the places I've been here. Happy hunting.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 AM

419 posts, read 554,754 times
Where in Frisco are we talking about. It's a huge city. Assuming it's along DNT on the south side, and taking into account all your desirables, you might look at Plantation neighborhood in Frisco itself. Not a whole lot of character but its a mature neighborhood and the golf course provides some walkability. Location is good for access to shopping and restaurants. Schools in Frisco are good and your home will maintain value. Also, mature neighborhood and surrounding areas will not likely be subject to rezoning for schools. This would probably offer the best commuting option.

Another suggestion is the older sections of Twin Creeks in Allen. You might need to push the budget a bit but certainly well below $500k can be found. Mature neighborhood with trees and walking trails. Excellent schools and great access to Plano, McKinney and Frisco. Commute would be about 20 minutes in rush hour.

There are some sections of Plano that would work as well, as described in other responses.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:58 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,500,303 times
Welcome to Texas.
I think you can find what you want.
Many of the big terms you mention, privacy, maturity, walkable mean different things to different people.....so I would want to know more about what you mean by those terms.
What comes to mind for me means buying in one of the older downtown areas...maybe downtown Frisco or Plano, or Mckinney or Grapevine or Coppell or Denton (although the houses are newer.) or I could pick some other cities that are trying to rebuild and revitalize their original downtown areas. Typically you'll see some older homes, or newer homes built to look older style on the outside and modern on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas