Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times

Advertisements

Arlington has some gorgeous neighborhoods such as some areas of north Arlington near River Legacy Park, Interlochen, and Lake Arlington. I do agree though that areas with top schools are more likely to hold onto their resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM

565 posts, read 558,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are relocating because the grass is greener withing your company. Negotiate a tax differential.
Children and education are a focus in the US. Please feel free to join those who pay for others. My cats have not reached SAT scores required for college admission but are pretty good at manipulation an IPad when it comes to their games.

The money is going to trying to keep up with the influx of residents and their needs.
What goes on in your current state (state as in location) tax and property value wise has little to no bearing on Texas.
You can vote once you are a resident. You can get actively involved in politics and thus taxation then. Until then you are one more new arrival trying to take advantage of what DFW is offer for you.
WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING TO DFW instead of what is DFW offering to you?
Agreed.

You reap the benefits of good city services (such as schools) regardless if you utilize them or not.

Want cheaper property taxes/values and subpar city services ? Go live in Garland or South Dallas then if "uhh I don't need the schools" (you'll find out your first week living there that YES you kinda do need them.......)

Old 01-25-2020, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ok see if you can follow this.

His contention is that I am upset with the high property tax but want to mooch off the great school system.

My response was that I don't even have kids therefore will not be utilizing the great school system, ie it has no bearing on me moving to Texas or not.

Don't turn this into something it is not.
The thing is, even when you don't have kids in a school district, the school district's quality, or lack thereof, impacts all sorts of things that involve you - property values, crime rates, etc. THE RESALE VALUE OF YOUR HOME.

That being said, each and every situation is different so do what makes the most sense financially to you.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Ok see if you can follow this.

His contention is that I am upset with the high property tax but want to mooch off the great school system.

My response was that I don't even have kids therefore will not be utilizing the great school system, ie it has no bearing on me moving to Texas or not.

Don't turn this into something it is not.
Your personal situation of not having children thus not using some of the services available to DFW residents is just that - your personal situation. You can opt out of portions of your current taxes be it real estate and/or state going to education?
Have you considered a motorhome? Some offer all the comforts of home and you do not incur real estate taxes or an HOA.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Arlington has some gorgeous neighborhoods such as some areas of north Arlington near River Legacy Park, Interlochen, and Lake Arlington. I do agree though that areas with top schools are more likely to hold onto their resale value.
We looked at Arlington but honestly it felt like a depressed area and when I investigated it seemed like their taxes were just at if not more than the surrounding areas....

Example

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Arlington/.../home/32156790

Estimating $10k+ for property taxes??? Lol

Last edited by wheelsup; 01-25-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-25-2020, 02:18 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Arlington is the third-largest city in DFW. Like most large cities, some areas will be depressed and some will not. This is a classic example of why it's crucial to work with a real estate agent who knows the area well when you're looking to move to an area you don't know yourself.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Arlington is the third-largest city in DFW. Like most large cities, some areas will be depressed and some will not. This is a classic example of why it's crucial to work with a real estate agent who knows the area well when you're looking to move to an area you don't know yourself.
While we will do that, narrowing down the area that you want to focus on is a much more effective way to find someone knowledgeable about the local area. Especially with all the newer realtors these days.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:51 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
We looked at Arlington but honestly it felt like a depressed area and when I investigated it seemed like their taxes were just at if not more than the surrounding areas....

Example

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Arlington/.../home/32156790

Estimating $10k+ for property taxes??? Lol

More like $8700
https://www.wsj.com/articles/so-long...it-11579948200

Old 02-02-2020, 12:49 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Navada is dope. They also have no state mandated bar or liquor store closing times and legal pot.

A true freedom lovers paradise.
But Nevada gets too many transplants that vote to raise taxes and strip away second amendment right.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 AM

48 posts, read 34,700 times
wow NJ across the river from NYC has about the same if not cheaper property taxes for the same value homes...... scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas