Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
This is what happens when people (especially media) do not pay attention to details. I would like to get BLDSoon and WGhost's perspective on this news article. "In Methodist’s first peak of cases on April 10, Boom said, 47 percent of admitted COVID patients needed ICU care. On Sunday, 25 percent of the hospital’s ICU patients had COVID."
These are very different claims, and they could both be true. The percentage of Covid patients who need an ICU bed is not comparable to the percent of ICU patients who have Covid.

Quote:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-15372256.php

It is also interesting to see how 1 hospital system's alert of 100 % ICU capacity quickly translates in media to ALL Houston hospitals reaching 100% ICU capacity, mayor suggests a shutdown and Governor has to retract his re-opening plans and have bars closed. Many of these bars and restaurants will go out of business soon. I suspect some reporters think and convey that the 100% of ICU beds are filled with Covid-19 patients.

I totally understand the pain of the families that have lost a loved one. But I also think that many deaths could have been avoided in March/April. I know that Dr. Fauci is considered to be an expert by many here. I, for one, would like him replaced. In my opinion, he has been part of the problem. He has held positions as a top epidemiologist for our country for more than 3 decades and his statement in last week of January was that he does not see this virus becoming a big problem in the US. He has been reacting, not definitive, following other govt's actions, not leading in this effort and has been feeding the media frenzy. He makes statements to media like "Something is not working" when he is supposed to make things work. He has been off on numbers quite a few times as well.

With people here on this forum providing an alternative view, I would suggest that we all need to hear them out, understand their perspectives. We, as a people, challenge authority, challenge media, we express our opinion, we protest, we argue, we strive for better and that is what makes our country the greatest country on the planet.

I will wait for a month's time before posting again on this thread. As I said previously, I am quite sure that we will be in a similar panic mode, now with media reporting a different set of cities reaching peak capacity, even though we will see number of daily deaths constantly on a decline. It is interesting to see that media is not concerned with spread with the protests while it is very concerned with the spread "definitely" happening because of businesses opening early. (I support protests and opening of businesses.)
I think the story from TMC makes sense. I suppose it's possible that it's a product of political pressure, but my guess is that they changed the reported because "ICU beds" isn't a fixed number.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:44 AM

451 posts, read 320,386 times
There are reports that the use of ventilators for Covid-19 was mis-guided. These reports are not just coming from NYC, they are also coming from Italy and Spain. Most of the patients who were put on ventilators ended up dying. So the remedies for treatment such as focus on inflammation, has improved over these past months, based on information sharing amongst hospitals/medical professionals. The percentage of covid patients ending up needing ICU beds and ventilators have reduced considerably. The Dallas county hospitalization numbers show that most of the Covid patients are outpatients.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...-study-shows#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
These are very different claims, and they could both be true. The percentage of Covid patients who need an ICU bed is not comparable to the percent of ICU patients who have Covid.

I think the story from TMC makes sense. I suppose it's possible that it's a product of political pressure, but my guess is that they changed the reported because "ICU beds" isn't a fixed number.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 06-29-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
There are reports that the use of ventilators for Covid-19 was mis-guided. These reports are not just coming from NYC, they are also coming from Italy and Spain. Most of the patients who were put on ventilators ended up dying. So the remedies for treatment such as focus on inflammation, has improved over these past months, based on information sharing amongst hospitals/medical professionals. The percentage of covid patients ending up needing ICU beds and ventilators have reduced considerably. The Dallas county hospitalization numbers show that most of the Covid patients are outpatients.
Yeah, like we've discussed on here a lot lately, the number of deaths resulting from each positive test has plummeted. Some of this is probably due to testing, but I think a big part of it is younger people getting the virus and treatments getting more effective. It will be interesting to see where all of the medical knowledge on treatment lands after this. Inevitably, there will be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks saying the "experts" were morons, but in reality, the experts were dealing with a very sudden and novel pandemic.....of course it won't be 100% figured out immediately.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Yeah, like we've discussed on here a lot lately, the number of deaths resulting from each positive test has plummeted. Some of this is probably due to testing, but I think a big part of it is younger people getting the virus and treatments getting more effective. It will be interesting to see where all of the medical knowledge on treatment lands after this. Inevitably, there will be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks saying the "experts" were morons, but in reality, the experts were dealing with a very sudden and novel pandemic.....of course it won't be 100% figured out immediately.

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1...673280/photo/1

Here's a great heat map of Florida cases by age bracket. Black = 0 case, Lighter colors are increasing number of cases.

On April 1st, the infection people was fairly even from people in their 20's to the 70's. For June, the 20-24 year old Floridians have a lock on highest number of cases. It's a very drastic comparison to the 50+ age group.

The older generations are starting to be infected by the high community spread of the younger generations.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1...673280/photo/1

Here's a great heat map of Florida cases by age bracket. Black = 0 case, Lighter colors are increasing number of cases.

On April 1st, the infection people was fairly even from people in their 20's to the 70's. For June, the 20-24 year old Floridians have a lock on highest number of cases. It's a very drastic comparison to the 50+ age group.

The older generations are starting to be infected by the high community spread of the younger generations.
The bold is my biggest concern moving forward.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Yeah, like we've discussed on here a lot lately, the number of deaths resulting from each positive test has plummeted. Some of this is probably due to testing, but I think a big part of it is younger people getting the virus and treatments getting more effective. It will be interesting to see where all of the medical knowledge on treatment lands after this.
Is it all about the odds of dying though? The disease can be horrible and result in permanent damage to major organs. Instead of the death rate, I would like to know the hospitalization rate.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Is it all about the odds of dying though? The disease can be horrible and result in permanent damage to major organs. Instead of the death rate, I would like to know the hospitalization rate.
Most people who go into the hospital don’t have permanent damage.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Define "most".

Old 06-29-2020, 09:42 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Define "most".
30% of COVID hospitalized patients had damage per the last report I read. That ranged from things that are minor annoyances to things that will shorten their lives (like kidney, liver, or lung damage). I’ll try and find the article.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
We don't know what the future holds for people who have recovered from covid. A few days ago I had a discussion with my doctor because I have eczema and it's not being controlled with topical steroids so I asked her if I could try a biologic, she said not now that it would compromise my immune system and went on to explain: She asked me if I had chickenpox and I said yes when I was about 10, she asked if I had ever had shingles and I said no, she said you still might because shingles occurring decades after you recover from chickenpox isn't uncommon and we have no idea what if any condition might affect patients months or years after they recover from Covid-19 and it just might be a whole lot worse than shingles so no one should take chances catching this virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas