Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The bold is my biggest concern moving forward.
Is it really that hard for the older generation to isolate themselves?

Old 06-29-2020, 11:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Do you have a heart at all? Do you think everyone over 60 (and everyone else younger than 60 who is “high risk” because they have diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer/cancer survivor, autoimmune disease, heart disease, etc) can survive FOR A YEAR under these isolate conditions:

•No in-person human contact with the exception of medical caregivers and end-of-life situations. A large % of those over 60 live alone as widow/widowers, divorcees, and singles. Also assuming those who live with a spouse or partner are not in volatile domestic situations.
•Being 100% financially independent and not needing any employment income.
•Relying on expensive delivery services, friends, family or charities to literally bring them everything they need to eat, drink, clean, read, medications, etc.
•The least digital generation having to “go virtual” for church services, family birthdays, etc.
•Having to give up pet companions if they are not able to walk them & take care of them (ie, someone in a large and crowded apartment complex might not be able to safely walk a dog 2-3 times a day.

Not to mention the tremendous health risks related to being isolated- expedited mental deterioration, loneliness & depression, missed disease diagnosis because their closest family members aren’t there day-by-day to notice balance / mental / etc issues, etc.

If everyone would wear a F$CKING mask, the risk of seniors and high risk individuals goes down to 5%. And we can all go about our own lives again. If grandma is wearing her mask and her grandkids or younger coworkers are not, her risk of transmission goes up to 70%.

So, my question to you is, Is it really that hard for the younger generation to wear a mask so that the older generation doesn’t have to live alone for basically an entire year????

Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Yes. Who are their nurses or caretakers or house cleaners or food workers?

You've been throwing out this line of reasoning for two months now. It stunk then, and it stinks now.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:18 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Is it all about the odds of dying though? The disease can be horrible and result in permanent damage to major organs. Instead of the death rate, I would like to know the hospitalization rate.
No, it's not all about the death rate. You raise a very good point.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yes. Who are their nurses or caretakers or house cleaners or food workers?

You've been throwing out this line of reasoning for two months now. It stunk then, and it stinks now.
I'd imagine nurses/caretakers are being pretty responsible and careful about not transmitting this to their patients, no?

I'm not sure about house cleaners, and isn't the chance of getting this from food pretty low?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:24 AM

227 posts, read 223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you have a heart at all? Do you think everyone over 60 (and everyone else younger than 60 who is “high risk” because they have diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer/cancer survivor, autoimmune disease, heart disease, etc) can survive FOR A YEAR under these isolate conditions:

•No in-person human contact with the exception of medical caregivers and end-of-life situations. A large % of those over 60 live alone as widow/widowers, divorcees, and singles. Also assuming those who live with a spouse or partner are not in volatile domestic situations.
•Being 100% financially independent and not needing any employment income.
•Relying on expensive delivery services, friends, family or charities to literally bring them everything they need to eat, drink, clean, read, medications, etc.
•The least digital generation having to “go virtual” for church services, family birthdays, etc.
•Having to give up pet companions if they are not able to walk them & take care of them (ie, someone in a large and crowded apartment complex might not be able to safely walk a dog 2-3 times a day.

Not to mention the tremendous health risks related to being isolated- expedited mental deterioration, loneliness & depression, missed disease diagnosis because their closest family members aren’t there day-by-day to notice balance / mental / etc issues, etc.

If everyone would wear a F$CKING mask, the risk of seniors and high risk individuals goes down to 5%. And we can all go about our own lives again. If grandma is wearing her mask and her grandkids or younger coworkers are not, her risk of transmission goes up to 70%.

So, my question to you is, Is it really that hard for the younger generation to wear a mask so that the older generation doesn’t have to live alone for basically an entire year????
I am still confused when Mask became equal to Freedom

But then how difficult is for the leader of the country to wear a mask. Giving a false impression of security while availing testing and other medical facilities at the white house makes the common man think that somehow the virus can be defeated if we scream . This is America. We fight for our freedom by not wearing masks

BTW 2020 is not done yet.... in other news .....Chinese scientists discover a new swine flu capable of triggering a pandemic......
someone should make the chinese turn into vegans

Old 06-30-2020, 06:20 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Sixty percent of people over 60 years old are still in the workforce.

Forty percent of people over 60 years old still in the workforce.

Seventy percent of people over 60 years old are living with a younger relative. Some are still even supporting that younger relative.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:03 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
If their jobsite requires their employees onsite, they need to show up or get fired. They aren't laid off, as soon as they hit 50. They compose most of the middle management ranks. As individual contributors, they have the most experience and knowledge at the office. At my employer, there are thousands of employees over 50 at different offices in Texas.

Why don't we do an updated version of Logan's Run, where workers reincarnate at 50 or laid off?

What is with these younger generations? smh

Last edited by move4ward; 06-30-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:

Probably about as hard as it is for you to realize that your post was completely devoid of thought or compassion.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We don't know what the future holds for people who have recovered from covid. A few days ago I had a discussion with my doctor because I have eczema and it's not being controlled with topical steroids so I asked her if I could try a biologic, she said not now that it would compromise my immune system and went on to explain: She asked me if I had chickenpox and I said yes when I was about 10, she asked if I had ever had shingles and I said no, she said you still might because shingles occurring decades after you recover from chickenpox isn't uncommon and we have no idea what if any condition might affect patients months or years after they recover from Covid-19 and it just might be a whole lot worse than shingles so no one should take chances catching this virus.
We can only deal with the evidence we have not. What I wrote is what the evidence currently shows. Speculating about how bad or not so bad it might be in the future is useless at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz7887 View Post
I am still confused when Mask became equal to Freedom

But then how difficult is for the leader of the country to wear a mask. Giving a false impression of security while availing testing and other medical facilities at the white house makes the common man think that somehow the virus can be defeated if we scream . This is America. We fight for our freedom by not wearing masks

BTW 2020 is not done yet.... in other news .....Chinese scientists discover a new swine flu capable of triggering a pandemic......
someone should make the chinese turn into vegans
There is no evidence that this swine flu has human to human transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas