Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, all I know is that now I can buy just about any type of mask just about anywhere, along with hand sanitizer and other "pandemic" supplies, so I guess someone ramped up some production somewhere.

The FDA, after a good deal of futzing, finally allowed American ethanol manufacturers to get into the game (stay away from Mexico-produced ethanol). And I've found a source of American-made isopropyl hand sanitizer by the gallon.

China is the current for the higher effectiveness masks.

I'm still annoyed that American manufacturers don't get into that game so that quality control can be better monitored. There are many innovative new designs being shown for masks using different elastic frames (such as silicon) that fit the face more comfortably using replaceable virus-blocking filter material more efficiently. But none of these designers can find a mass manufacturer to take the designs though certification and then bring down the price of production. The American producers simply aren't there...or are too feckless to try the market.

My rant is still that the experts continue to strangle the market by refusing to advise lay people to use better masks.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 PM

578 posts, read 478,920 times
A statewide data dump led to giant daily case counts in some North Texas counties over the weekend, including Dallas County, where officials had to contend with more than 7,600 previously unknown positive cases in four days — the majority of them backlogged from June and July.

The backlogged cases came to light after the state upgraded its reporting system Aug. 1 to better handle the high volume of daily test results.

After the upgrade, which allowed the state to process more than 100,000 test results a day, the state cleared the backlog in the first week of August, Anton said.

But once those results were processed, the state spotted coding problems with test results the commercial Quest Diagnostics labs reported that prevented the state from importing its data.

That led to a backlog of 354,000 tests from Quest, Anton said. Coding issues also led to problems getting data from CHRISTUS Health, a lab for several hospitals, which had a backlog of about 95,000 test results, and then a backlog of about 59,000 test results from Walgreens pharmacies, Anton said.

The labs blamed the state for the delays.

Collin County officials haven’t specified how many of their cases were part of the backlog, but after reporting more than 1,100 cases Friday and none Sunday, officials warned residents they had “no confidence” in the state’s data in a message posted on the county’s dashboard Tuesday.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:53 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The reason he lied was because they were worried that healthcare workers wouldn't get enough masks, and that people would hoard them. But they shouldn't have lied. Even IF healthcare workers can't get enough masks, that doesn't justify lying and saying masks aren't effective. So Fauci effed up that one, for sure.

BTW, I saw through that lie right away when he initially made that statement. I knew he was lying, and I knew why. It made me very sad.
I like when people make excuses for these health officials. So Fauci has been infectious disease director for like 30 years and never required masks during any flu season, but yet people still seem to protect him.

Don't worry that piece of cloth will protect you when it hasn't worked in over 100 years. But if it makes you feel safe go for it. Somehow we can now control a virus that in our entire lives we haven't. Maybe it will just disappear like magic.

Nice to lie and be able to be respected, but if I was to walk near anyone without a mask I'm a murderer.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:03 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Texas has the 3rd lowest % population 65 or older. When the virus runs it's course, Texas should be in the top 3 for lowest deaths per capita.

Which U.S. States Have the Oldest Populations? - https://www.prb.org/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/

Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,486 times
I've never seen the above data on the number of 65+ people in Texas. But it would seem to say that not a lot of people move here for retirement? Or a lot of people move away for retirement. Perhaps related to the old "high property tax" thing...

Old 08-23-2020, 09:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I've never seen the above data on the number of 65+ people in Texas. But it would seem to say that not a lot of people move here for retirement? Or a lot of people move away for retirement. Perhaps related to the old "high property tax" thing...
Texas is obviously not a primary retirement destination like Florida, but I don’t think we lose a lot of people at retirement age. Texas is relatively young because of a rapid inflow of people (domestic and international) and relatively high birth rates. You look at the other states with small percentages of +65 and it is a similar story (recent high growth rates in Utah, Colorado, and Georgia). Alaska is the exception of course.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
We're planning to retire in Texas. Of course, that's just a personal anecdote. But we know lots of other people nearing retirement who aren't planning to go anywhere else.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:44 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're planning to retire in Texas. Of course, that's just a personal anecdote. But we know lots of other people nearing retirement who aren't planning to go anywhere else.

We retired as a military couple to Texas, and while this is also anecdotal, we know plenty of military folk who have also retired to Texas. Texas' multi-faceted affinity to military retirees make it a prime retirement location for military folk.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:06 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I like when people make excuses for these health officials. So Fauci has been infectious disease director for like 30 years and never required masks during any flu season, but yet people still seem to protect him.

Don't worry that piece of cloth will protect you when it hasn't worked in over 100 years. But if it makes you feel safe go for it. Somehow we can now control a virus that in our entire lives we haven't. Maybe it will just disappear like magic.

Nice to lie and be able to be respected, but if I was to walk near anyone without a mask I'm a murderer.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

Old 08-24-2020, 01:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Moderator Note: Please keep the discussion locally-focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas