Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times

Advertisements

Which home builders have a good reputation vs a bad reputation (for quality) ? Is there a website with this info somewhere? Specifically I'd like to know who to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 05:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Many discussions and posts about this in the past. Please search the forum.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:51 PM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Which home builders have a good reputation vs a bad reputation (for quality) ? Is there a website with this info somewhere? Specifically I'd like to know who to avoid.
It's all proportional. The problem comes with people's expectations. They want the lowest price but highest quality. Doesn't work.

Example - Darling homes, Highland homes, Drees, American Legend homes are considered good quality builders - their price points are also higher for a similar sized home compared to say Grand homes or First Texas homes. Now, people expect a Darling or Highland or Drees quality at Grand home price and say quality not good. Do not try to compare builders quality from different price points.

We did lot of research long time ago on builders, towns, markets - here is my feedback on some of the active builders in DFW area (there are many others also)

I personally prefer a small high quality home in a good locality/neighborhood vs a big home of lesser quality at faraway locations for the same money. I will compromise on size to get good quality without increasing budget. Others may like to compromise on location. Some may want to compromise on schools, some on commute etc..etc.. If NO budget constraint - then no compromise - you can get what you want

Toll brothers - higher priced - but I do not personally feel worth. MainVue builder is a recent entrant and they have contemporary/modern elevation, designs - some like those.

good quality but expensive - and I feel worth paying premium - Darling (they got sold out not sure the quality now, also didn't like their floor plans -whatever we saw were with less ventilation/lighting and less open to below spaces/less high ceilings - but good quality), Highland, Drees, Huntington, Southgate homes, to some extent American Legend, Shaddock Homes.

Next comes - Ashton woods homes, Normandy Homes.

Next KHovnanian & David Weekly

Next Meritage homes, Landon homes

Next Pulte homes

Next Beazer, Lennar

LAST Category: Better to avoid below two Grand homes and First Texas in that order: Unless you want a BIG house with less cost OR you look at price per square feet and think that you are getting big house for the same money

Grand homes - huge floor plans but poor quality - you can see the difference between a Grand home and other good quality builder in the same neighborhood. But obviously they will also be at different price points. It's good for what you pay though.

VERY LAST/LEAST preferred - First Texas homes - some think value for money, good for what you pay - meaning BIG house/Square feet for less cost - but cheap finishing/walls/doors/everything - again it boils down to cost - People who want to get BIG house with less budget who looks at price per square feet will consider First Texas in my opinion.

So, Grand homes and First Texas homes will age fast, tend to have less resale value, looks much older within a few years.

TIP: This is my personal one though based on our own research and preferences, some others may not care.. DO NOT buy in a neighborhood where there is a mix of different quality builders. For example - in some neighborhoods - there will be a Drees/Darling home next to a Grand home - it doesn't look good, you can clearly see the difference, will be at a different price points - and your home may be priced lower because of comps and there is a possibility to compare with a grand home when it is time to sell.

So, choose a neighborhood where there are equal quality/pricing builders - where the homes, quality, pricing looks same. Compare Apples to Apples. You get what you pay for. All are good for their respective price points. And some people are dissatisfied no matter who the builder is. It is impossible to make them happy. And some will have specific situations - so you cannot generalize based on their individual experience.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 05-08-2020 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 10:51 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Build a custom home if you are truly worried about Quality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas