Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 PM

213 posts, read 241,060 times

Advertisements

I would still look into PCR. A lot of my neighbors send their kids to private/charter school. I moved from NorthEast for my kids and their better education. Frisco suits me for that purpose. Indian or not, my bottom line is giving my kids the environment and resources to thrive and do well. While I would consider Prosper, Celina and such I would not based on schools. I can always move elsewhere once my kids are grown. School demographic puts Asian as one category. It does not say if they are Indian or Chinese etc. Both my kids has 2/3 Asian Americans that were not Indians.
Bledsoe is an amazing school however the houses there are now 10+ year older. If your kids go to Bledsoe and you live in PCR, that is also a good option. Bledsoe and Nichols and nearby Hosp are all good schools and are around expensive neighborhoods.
Pearson and Pioneer are the two middle schools here and you can see the demographics for those and finally Reedy high which is zoned for PCR students.
Also don’t forget about land FISD owns in PCR that will be an elementary school there eventually.

Last edited by Pinkett; 07-26-2020 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 23,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
If new construction fills up in Frisco, or becomes less affordable, will more South Asians move to Prosper as well? Where are East Asians settling? They don't prefer new housing as much?

With the stereotype of Asian students and families being academically competitive, how is that playing out in majority Asian high schools with the top 6%/10% rules? More of a focus to do as well as possible and more pressure on excelling at standardized tests?
Ahh yes that topic comes up as well, and can be a bit touchy. But it comes across like "Oh no, we can't have our kids compete against those Asian kids! No fair!" Instead of seeing it as a good thing to have academically focused kids to rub off on theirs. But it's often presented as "Those kids have no balance, no social skills etc. and study TOO much compared to us 'normal' kids".

But yes i can see the points around having all the bright students in once place and they can't all be top 10% the pressure created, etc. And yes there are many pressures on being at certain "tiers" for college and such that need looking into. But is the alternative to try to make sure you have traditional "lower performing" demos to mix in to make your kids "degree of difficulty" lower? It is what it is....

Old 07-26-2020, 05:29 PM

290 posts, read 370,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLonghorn View Post
Sure. Certainly it's trending that way. Certainly anything brand new I was avoiding at this point. But my wife and I work in and near Frisco. So Frisco makes sense versus Prosper, Celina etc. if we can avoid it. I looked at a new community with nice homes near me, but quickly saw how EVERYONE going to the sales center was south Asian and looked around the neighborhood and saw it was pretty dominated by that group. With PCR though since it's fairly mature almost built out, but overall still pretty diverse, I'm less worried.

But also I'm black and my kids are mixed. And I didn't necessarily love going to Plano in high school when it was 93-94% Caucasian. I got through it but I certainly would have liked more color there if I could have changed things. So Celina or someplace like that may be the opposite problem. Like I said I didn't want 80% plus one group.. Well Celina is 90% white, are white people leaving Frisco for Celina REALLY looking for "diversity" or just trying to make sure they are the clear dominant group again? Not trying to say "They are all racist!" necessarily But from that perspective it's... interesting.

And I get that certainly the culture seems very different. It's not just the fact that they are "brown" it's often the fact that so many first generation Indians are moving in that seem in contrast to more "Americanized" Indians. It's complex certainly.
Just wait, Prosper will become the next Frisco when Frisco fills up and once Prosper fills up it will be Celina's turn. There are already many South Asian families who are looking at and buying in Prosper ISD. Maybe in 20 years Celina will also have many subdivisions like Frisco that are South Asian dominated. Remember, Frisco was once in Celina's current position. Frisco in the 1990s was a small town that was 90+% Caucasian; it all changed in about 20-30 years. PCR itself is still very diverse but the areas with the newest builds tend to skew majority Indian/South Asian.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:39 PM

290 posts, read 370,754 times
Quote:
If new construction fills up in Frisco, or becomes less affordable, will more South Asians move to Prosper as well? Where are East Asians settling? They don't prefer new housing as much?

With the stereotype of Asian students and families being academically competitive, how is that playing out in majority Asian high schools with the top 6%/10% rules? More of a focus to do as well as possible and more pressure on excelling at standardized tests?
South Asians are already moving into the Prosper area and buying in new subdivisions in the areas closest to Frisco.

East Asians aren't that into new housing. Most don't put buying a new house as their top priority when house hunting. Most East Asians are still living around the North Plano/Allen area with smaller populations scattered around Mckinney, Frisco, Coppell and Murphy. Remember that there are just a lot more South Asians in the DFW metroplex in general. South Asians outnumber East Asians in almost all the north Dallas suburbs. The only place where South Asians aren't the top Asian group is in Garland/Sachse where there is a huge Vietnamese population.

There are currently no Asian majority (50%+ Asians) public high schools in the DFW metroplex. Coppell High will be majority Asian next year or maybe the year after. None of the Frisco ISD high schools are more than 40% Asian as of the 2019-2020 school year. Centennial High has the highest percentage of Asians in Frisco ISD at approximately 39% Asian.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,773,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Asians are not the largest demo yet in those middle schools and high schools. But those demographics seen in elementary schools will for sure translate up to middle and high schools. Just give it a couple of more years. Reedy has a very fast growing Asian population. I predict that Asians will be the largest racial group in Frisco ISD in about 2-3 years.
Dammit, say goodbye to the HS Football and Basketball programs lol

Old 07-26-2020, 09:08 PM

468 posts, read 477,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkett View Post
I would still look into PCR. A lot of my neighbors send their kids to private/charter school. I moved from NorthEast for my kids and their better education. Frisco suits me for that purpose. Indian or not, my bottom line is giving my kids the environment and resources to thrive and do well. While I would consider Prosper, Celina and such I would not based on schools. I can always move elsewhere once my kids are grown. School demographic puts Asian as one category. It does not say if they are Indian or Chinese etc. Both my kids has 2/3 Asian Americans that were not Indians.
Bledsoe is an amazing school however the houses there are now 10+ year older. If your kids go to Bledsoe and you live in PCR, that is also a good option. Bledsoe and Nichols and nearby Hosp are all good schools and are around expensive neighborhoods.
Pearson and Pioneer are the two middle schools here and you can see the demographics for those and finally Reedy high which is zoned for PCR students.
Also don’t forget about land FISD owns in PCR that will be an elementary school there eventually.
The top colleges don't even have Frisco on their radar, we're in texas remember. Your kids would have a better chance getting into a top college if they were in Teaneck. Or, as billy would say you could've had a house out in hackensack. or, you could be out living in allentown, classic man.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,180,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
If you don’t want to live in a majority Asian Indian subdivision and go to a majority Asian Indian school, then I would avoid all neighborhoods with new construction in Frisco and neighborhoods that have a lot of new construction around them. Almost all new subdivisions in Frisco are Asian Indian majority. .
^ This, OP. I live in Frisco and my oldest attends Purefoy which is at Teel/Eldorado. My neighborhood was built from 2002-2006 and the school is about 71% white and 11% Asian. All of the other neighborhoods that feed into that campus were built around the same time. My daughter had two Indian classmates last year and the parents were born and raised in the US and they didn't want to be in a majority Indian school and bought in our neighborhood for that reason. My kids are mixed race too (white/Vietnamese).

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM

314 posts, read 369,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
The top colleges don't even have Frisco on their radar, we're in texas remember. Your kids would have a better chance getting into a top college if they were in Teaneck. Or, as billy would say you could've had a house out in hackensack. or, you could be out living in allentown, classic man.
Funny I just spoke with a colleague whose daughter graduated from Lake Highlands HS. Their school has (at least) one each going to Duke, Harvard and Yale.

Frisco schools are definitely on top colleges' radars.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:23 AM

625 posts, read 671,419 times
Quote:
Funny I just spoke with a colleague whose daughter graduated from Lake Highlands HS. Their school has (at least) one each going to Duke, Harvard and Yale.

Frisco schools are definitely on top colleges' radars.

Frisco and Lake Highlands are nowhere near each other.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:11 PM

314 posts, read 369,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Frisco and Lake Highlands are nowhere near each other.
Frisco ISD schools are at least as good as Richardson ISD schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas