Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,818 times

Advertisements

Looking into both Forney and Heartland. Overall have heard more negative feedback about Heartland with it being in Crandall ISD (as opposed to Forney) and high property taxes, although all of Kaufman county has high property taxes.

What are the pros and cons of it being an unincorporated community? How does resale compare to Forney? Forney has more within city limits, whereas Heartland shares Forney and Crandall.

Heartland - we like the home and the (new) amenities, but as mentioned have concerns about resale and costs associated in comparison to Forney.

Not sure if there's a huge difference, but information on both and pros and cons of each would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
I lived in Heartland for 6 years (2008-2014). Sold the house in 2015 at a profit, it was sold in 3 days. Prior to the sale, I was renting it out for about 8 months for $300 more than my mortgage payment was. Loved that place, nice amenities, average quality homes, not the lowest but not the highest, and they are priced accordingly. Crandall ISD is expanding like crazy, they've opened two elementary schools in the past 5 years, and planning another one in Aug. 2019.

No close by shopping except for the recently built Family Dollar on FM 741, the closest shopping is Forney (about 6 miles away) to Walmart, Brookshires, Kroger, Aldi, Lowes etc. Overall, it's just a bedroom community with nice, expanding amenities and pretty close to Downtown Dallas (about 25-30 min).

Hope it helps.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 PM

93 posts, read 99,414 times
I'd go with Forney, as long as it's south of 80 because the schools are better (Forney HS vs North Forney HS). I graduated from Crandall HS a few years ago, would not recommend. Also Heartland has a horrible reputation within the rest of the school district.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM

138 posts, read 216,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
I'd go with Forney, as long as it's south of 80 because the schools are better (Forney HS vs North Forney HS). I graduated from Crandall HS a few years ago, would not recommend. Also Heartland has a horrible reputation within the rest of the school district.
The schools aren’t better they just have different demographics. IE: south of 80 is homogenous white and all the diversity in Forney is north of 80. Windmill farms the apartments. The schools are all good, you just have more historically poorer performing subpopulations north of 80. Once For way ISD can start building new schools, they are going to have to realign so buying south of 80 might not mean much long term because of that.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcal1633 View Post
Looking into both Forney and Heartland. Overall have heard more negative feedback about Heartland with it being in Crandall ISD (as opposed to Forney) and high property taxes, although all of Kaufman county has high property taxes.

What are the pros and cons of it being an unincorporated community? How does resale compare to Forney? Forney has more within city limits, whereas Heartland shares Forney and Crandall.

Heartland - we like the home and the (new) amenities, but as mentioned have concerns about resale and costs associated in comparison to Forney.

Not sure if there's a huge difference, but information on both and pros and cons of each would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Depending on the development in Forney you may be in Mesquite, Dallas or Forney ETJ which kind of makes it feel like you are in an unincorporated area.

Examples: Clements Ranch is in Dallas ETJ, it’s also in a MUD giving it a high tax rate but property values are lower because of that.

Then you have Trinity Crossing right across the road from Clements Ranch, it falls in Mesquite, Dallas, and Forney ETJ. Will have the same MUD.

Devonshire I believe is in Forney ETJ and has a MUD.

Gateway is in Forney city limits.

Forney also has a lot of price points. Windmill Farms still is under $200k. Clements Ranch starts in the $230s, Gateway in the $260s, Devonshire $300k+, there is $400k+ development off of Lake Ray hubbard on the lake as well. Those are all on the north side of 80. There are many developments still building out I. The south as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Full disclosure. I live in Clements Ranch. We spend more time in Rockwall than Forney as it’s only marginally longer to get to because Forney traffic is bad on all the main roads inside city limits.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:05 PM

93 posts, read 99,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Full disclosure. I live in Clements Ranch. We spend more time in Rockwall than Forney as it’s only marginally longer to get to because Forney traffic is bad on all the main roads inside city limits.
This is true. You don't want to be anywhere near the US 80/FM 548/FM 1641 area in peak hours.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,604 times
Many of the bigger subdivisions being built in Forney aside from Gateway Parks are not even in the city limits but in a ETJ. The traffic on 20 is way better than 80 and 30. So buying somewhere closer to 20 in the Forney area is better, because crossing from the North side to 20 during rush hour is a mess. Both school districts are good. I believe the high school and middle school for Crandall are far from Heartland. Forney is experiencing growing pains, so traffic is pretty bad throughout the whole city. But some of the roads are in the process of getting expanded. 80 still has a few years before it becomes a 6 lane highway.

What is your budget? If its over 450k, try looking into Sunnyvale. Closer to shops/restaurants, closer to downtown, way better school district, better resale, and still has a small town feel. I think Sunnyvale has a better resale than both Forney and Heartland, but if it fits in your budget.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:39 AM

156 posts, read 469,615 times
I read some reviews about Heartland including high crime, section 8...is that true?

Old 03-14-2021, 04:43 PM

15 posts, read 24,029 times
Crime is going to increase as communities grow. I think Heartland does have section 8 areas - noting bad about it. I personally thing there are better options in that area - consider Forney communities. If you budget is high consider Sunnyvale or even Heath. Heath Golf and Yacht has options for 300k+ as well.

Heartland doesn't have grocery stores nearby - actually closest would be Walmart/Kroger on the north side of 80 in Forney - would take a quite bit during rush hour times to get there. There is a retail development right outside Heartland that was reported as being considered by HEB. Also two developments in the south side of Forney being considered by Toms Thumb and HEB - but noting more the speculations and rumours right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas