Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 05:47 AM

6 posts, read 6,755 times

Advertisements

Hello, we'll be moving to DFW from Nebraska for my husbands work. We are in our 30s with 2 elementary school aged children, so looking for a nice suburb with good schools. Ideally we'd like to be a newer house subdivision.

We've been looking for a while now (have made many house hunting trips from Nebraska), but have been hesitant in pulling the trigger because it seems every nice neighborhood with good schools we've liked seems to be skewed towards a certain demographic and we feel if we raised our children in this setting they'd not have a typical American childhood. We (I especially) am starting to lose patience as we've looked everywhere it seems and same result. We love the house, we love the schools, but the neighbors are not desirable. Please help, any advice especially exact town/address would be most helpful

-Frustrated Emily

Old 09-04-2021, 07:44 AM

516 posts, read 450,735 times
What demographic are you trying to avoid and what do you consider a typical American childhood? Your post is very vague.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:55 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Where will your husbands work be located? The DFW area is HUGE, and traffic can be horrible. You’ll want to live fairly close to his work so he won’t be spending hours a day sitting in traffic.

What’s your budget for housing? There’s no point in looking in places that you cannot afford.

And yes, what’s that demographic you’re trying to avoid?

Old 09-04-2021, 10:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Nebraska is 87% white. The DFW area is very diverse and multi-cultural. You might have to expand your mind to realize that what you consider a “typical American childhood” in Nebraska (I assume living in a neighborhood where everyone is white and all their friends are white?!?!) isn’t what a “typical American childhood” looks like in most of the rest of the country in the year 2021.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:56 AM

32 posts, read 33,386 times
Don't like the neighbors? How much socializing goes on in a typical 21st century neighborhood - especially in suburbia?

Where I live, people may wave to each other as they drive or walk by, but they keep completely to themselves. I only see my neighbors outside when mowing their lawns, and that's it. Once the yardwork is done, they quickly go back to hide in their houses.

Could you live anywhere in the state and work from home? Drive into the office maybe once a month for face to face meetings, maybe?

If the schools are "good," wouldn't your kids end up sitting in the same classroom(s) as the same kids who live in the neighborhood?

Last edited by Rag King; 09-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Asking about schools

Old 09-04-2021, 11:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
What demographic are you trying to avoid and what do you consider a typical American childhood? Your post is very vague.
Is it a problem when we here on CD get a few hundred threads a year from Indian Families moving here wanting to find similar Indian Communities and Families ? We get that question regularly and no one blinks an eye usually providing them the answer.

Or from the Muslim couple looking for their communities? Or the young professional Black couple looking for similar? The Gay couple looking for their other Gay community? Liberals seeking other Liberals?

Those inquiries here are very common.

Same difference. Everyone seeks their tribe for comfort.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:17 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is it a problem when we here on CD get a few hundred threads a year from Indian Families moving here wanting to find similar Indian Communities and Families ? We get that question regularly and no one blinks an eye usually providing them the answer.

Or from the Muslim couple looking for their communities? Or the young professional Black couple looking for similar? The Gay couple looking for their other Gay community? Liberals seeking other Liberals?

Those inquiries here are very common.

Same difference. Everyone seeks their tribe for comfort.
That's not a problem. The problem I think is that OP hasn't named the demographic he/she's trying to avoid. Without that information we can't actually give good advice.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
That's not a problem. The problem I think is that OP hasn't named the demographic he/she's trying to avoid. Without that information we can't actually give good advice.
IDK, it's fairly obvious if you are familiar with the northern cities. She certainly could have asked her question in a much better way. Not asking what to avoid but what she seeks.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:09 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
The most “white bread type” burb I am aware of with decent schools and average house prices is Midlothian. Highland Park is very white, but prices are unlikely to match OP’s budget.

Midlothian Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Midlothian was:

White: 88.40%
Black or African American: 5.01%
Two or more races: 4.37%
Other race: 1.01%
Asian: 0.79%
Native American: 0.42%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.00%

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2021 at 10:55 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 01:30 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
If she's looking in the Northern burbs (ESPECIALLY around Frisco), I think we all know what demographic she's talking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas