Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 11:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Here is the bottom line. The Federal government is involved in the Carroll ISD right now because the Carroll ISD has had issues over the last few years related to racism. The Federal government is not going to solve anything. I would take anything zoned for Carroll ISD off my list because of the involvement of the US Dept. of Education. A school district has to be bad for the US Dept. of Education to get involved period.
News article on this topic:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...ls-nbc-reports

Old 01-30-2022, 11:39 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Keep your opinions coming. So based on what I hear from people with school going kids in Coppell, Frisco and Plano the demographics have changed over time. We value top ranking schools. Also believe that Teachers who are themselves product of the American Education systems are best equipped to educate the next generation of American kids - The teachers skin color is not even a factor for us. Thus when I 'heard' that Frisco and Plano are now inducting foreign educated teachers who get certified and thus teach kids in school that makes me pause. Can any one of you throw light on the teachers situation especially in SL.
The demographics of the entire DFW metroplex have changed dramatically in the last 40 years. The metroplex is now something like 50% born outside Texas and 25% born outside the United States. Coppell, Frisco and Plano have fantastic public schools systems and have been popular with relocating families for relative affordability and great schools (Frisco & Plano more so than Coppell only because they are much, much larger than Coppell which is a smaller, one high school district).

You’re welcome to look up the staff directories at any of the schools in any district. They are usually very easy to find online. My business was present at the new teacher welcome event for one of those two districts last summer….the new elementary teachers were probably 90% white and fresh out of Texas / Southeast US colleges. The middle school & high school teachers were more seasoned and slightly more diverse but I didn’t see anything that aligns with what you have “heard” about a push to “induct foreign educated teachers” in FISD/PISD.

I will say, if you are following the current state of stress on public education in the US, teachers and administrators are quitting or retiring in droves right now and substitute teachers are scarce….so I would not be surprised if districts were helping highly qualified educators whose diplomas were earned overseas get certified to teach in Texas to fill the thousands of open positions. Nine local superintendents and at least one head of private school have announced their retirement / resignation in the last 100ish days.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:50 AM

300 posts, read 290,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Keep your opinions coming. So based on what I hear from people with school going kids in Coppell, Frisco and Plano the demographics have changed over time. We value top ranking schools. Also believe that Teachers who are themselves product of the American Education systems are best equipped to educate the next generation of American kids - The teachers skin color is not even a factor for us. Thus when I 'heard' that Frisco and Plano are now inducting foreign educated teachers who get certified and thus teach kids in school that makes me pause. Can any one of you throw light on the teachers situation especially in SL.
I wouldn’t necessarily view this as a negative given the U.S. relatively weak education https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pew...ience/%3famp=1

Old 01-30-2022, 01:56 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Don't do it.

https://youtu.be/1f6RBCsjqxA

Old 01-30-2022, 03:33 PM

625 posts, read 667,651 times
Just last week the news was full about a Southlake teacher fighting a formal school district reprimand because she had a book tilted “How not to be a racist” in her classroom.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/new...e-45aea1406fec

Old 01-30-2022, 05:19 PM

245 posts, read 254,575 times
SL is pretty diverse, the Kindergarten classes are like 50-55% white. They just don’t have any black people.

The diversity is what is driving the reactionary politics- the people who can and do vote and very different from the parents of Kindergartners.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:56 PM

317 posts, read 228,389 times
Southlake did have a Diwali Festival this past year, that's something.
But OP's original question was can they make friends.... most adults are going to make friends through their children's activites.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 6,175 times
Default Southlake - How easy it was for transplants to make friends?

I am Asian and I moved to Southlake from Keller because of schools, especially their high school CMA program (Carroll Medical Academy). Only 50-55 students accepted into CMA program and very competitive (student have high chances if they take accelerated math and GT Core classes and have good grades in 7th and 8th grade). I don't believe any other school district has this kind of program in DFW. They accept other school districts, but first preference given to Carroll ISD students. School district offers Chinse language too. Racism is there everywhere including Plano, Frisco and other DFW places. City is divers and you can visit and find out yourself. Yes, many people commute to Dallas from Southlake, including me. Depending on where you live in Southlake you can reach Dallas in 30-45 minutes.

My brother is trying to buy house in Southlake and every time he lost in bidding. Old houses below 1 or 1.2million bidding war. It is really hard getting the house right now.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-tx-population

White: 78.92%
Asian: 15.87%
Two or more races: 2.45%
Black or African American: 1.72%
Other race: 0.66%
Native American: 0.37%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.00%

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2021...-to-new-study/

Old 01-31-2022, 06:33 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
We can afford to live in Southlake. We chose not to live there because our kids are biracial and we didn't want to move somewhere that has a history of racism. We also don't like the emphasis on status and what you own that is rampant in Southlake.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:50 AM

387 posts, read 616,235 times
Thank you for your inputs. Very useful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas