Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM

27 posts, read 18,267 times

Advertisements

Now that full time work/city life is behind us we're looking for acreage (1-2 absolute min, hopefully more like 5-10) in a rural/country/ranch setting.

Still want to be within 20-25 mins drive at most to:
Dollar, Walmart, Kroger, Costco, ALDI.
CVS, Walgreens, Target.
Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, Advance.
Ace, Tractor supply, Home depot, Lowes, Harbour freight.
Restaurants, BBQ, Steak, Italian, authentic Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese etc. You can bet our final decision gets made on where the good food is.....

Schools not important (no kids).
Daily work commute not important (online based part time work) but that does mean I need good internet connection.

I want a large 6 car garage/workshop to work on my car build/modify/restoration projects. Building a car/atv and then driving it around local area to test it is what I like. So some twisty sealed roads, trails, off road etc nearby and a set of neighbours that don't mind this sort of thing is what I'm aiming for. Perhaps if land is big enough I can stay on my own property for this. What's important is that you don't have neighbours that call the cops on you every time they see the neighbour riding his atv down the road again...

Wife likes being a housewife, going to shops/mall for pampering, imax cinema, retail therapy at least once a week. So still need to be within 20-25 minutes of a decent one.

Every second month or so we'll go to airport and have a two week or so holiday, so about 80 minutes to airport is about our limit. House will be vacant/locked at this point and would hope it's not going to get broken into whilst away.

Would prefer land and then build what I want. Doubt I'll find what I want ready made.
Land: 200-300k
House: 600-800k
Garage/workshop: 100-150k

We're red and don't want to turn it blue.

Any suggestions for good areas to concentrate on would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 04:38 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Pricing has gone up so much in the last 18 months few people will be familiar with enough locations and todays pricing to offer you much guidance for what you seek.

North TX within 80 minutes of DFW Airport would be the size of many northern states.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:56 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I do not see it and did not find it almost seven years ago for your price point. But I am very interested in what your research brings.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:25 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback!

By all means, if my pricing is off, feel free to give some pointers on what sort of dollars I should be thinking of, given what I'm looking for.

Absolutely understand on increased pricing in last 18 months. Any relief in sight in coming months/year given higher interest rates?

Old 10-11-2022, 07:04 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdok88 View Post
Now that full time work/city life is behind us we're looking for acreage (1-2 absolute min, hopefully more like 5-10) in a rural/country/ranch setting.

Still want to be within 20-25 mins drive at most to:
Dollar, Walmart, Kroger, Costco, ALDI.
CVS, Walgreens, Target.
Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, Advance.
Ace, Tractor supply, Home depot, Lowes, Harbour freight.
Restaurants, BBQ, Steak, Italian, authentic Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese etc. You can bet our final decision gets made on where the good food is.....

Schools not important (no kids).
Daily work commute not important (online based part time work) but that does mean I need good internet connection.

I want a large 6 car garage/workshop to work on my car build/modify/restoration projects. Building a car/atv and then driving it around local area to test it is what I like. So some twisty sealed roads, trails, off road etc nearby and a set of neighbours that don't mind this sort of thing is what I'm aiming for. Perhaps if land is big enough I can stay on my own property for this. What's important is that you don't have neighbours that call the cops on you every time they see the neighbour riding his atv down the road again...

Wife likes being a housewife, going to shops/mall for pampering, imax cinema, retail therapy at least once a week. So still need to be within 20-25 minutes of a decent one.

Every second month or so we'll go to airport and have a two week or so holiday, so about 80 minutes to airport is about our limit. House will be vacant/locked at this point and would hope it's not going to get broken into whilst away.

Would prefer land and then build what I want. Doubt I'll find what I want ready made.
Land: 200-300k
House: 600-800k
Garage/workshop: 100-150k

We're red and don't want to turn it blue.

Any suggestions for good areas to concentrate on would be most welcome.

Unfortunately much of what you describe is being developed out already. Your criteria of 80 minutes to the airport can be a very large restriction on what you want. However there is still land to be had. You can look North/Northeast/East to places like Royse City, Lavon, Farmersville, and areas between/around. One of the issues though is even in places like those the land alone has been escalating in cost for anything worth building on.

As for the driving around part there are still plenty of dirt roads in these places. However many in the country are not fond of those racing up and down the roads. For that you really want some very rural places which means farther out.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Unfortunately much of what you describe is being developed out already. Your criteria of 80 minutes to the airport can be a very large restriction on what you want. However there is still land to be had. You can look North/Northeast/East to places like Royse City, Lavon, Farmersville, and areas between/around. One of the issues though is even in places like those the land alone has been escalating in cost for anything worth building on.

As for the driving around part there are still plenty of dirt roads in these places. However many in the country are not fond of those racing up and down the roads. For that you really want some very rural places which means farther out.
I was thinking along those lines - like maybe Lucas or Parker to keep that 20-30 minute proximity to good food & shopping, but easy access to the country roads out further east.

Looks like 2 acre lots in Lucas or Parker will run about $450k. I don’t know what the building restrictions are there but it looks like the new homes being built on those 2 acre lots are going for about $2.5M. So OP maybe double your budget if you want that easy access to shopping & good restaurants?

You would probably have better luck on the Fort Worth side of DFW - Shops at Clearfork & the TCU area is very nice and south of I-30….the top of the Texas Hill Country starts about 20-30 minutes south/southwest of Fort Worth so maybe look out that direction instead of the Dallas side?

Old 10-11-2022, 07:40 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I was thinking along those lines - like maybe Lucas or Parker to keep that 20-30 minute proximity to good food & shopping, but easy access to the country roads out further east.

Looks like 2 acre lots in Lucas or Parker will run about $450k. I don’t know what the building restrictions are there but it looks like the new homes being built on those 2 acre lots are going for about $2.5M. So OP maybe double your budget if you want that easy access to shopping & good restaurants?

You would probably have better luck on the Fort Worth side of DFW - Shops at Clearfork & the TCU area is very nice and south of I-30….the top of the Texas Hill Country starts about 20-30 minutes south/southwest of Fort Worth so maybe look out that direction instead of the Dallas side?

No surprise on the Lucas and Parker land costs. However they are trying to keep it high end and would expect they have plenty enough restrictions to prevent what the OP wants to do.

Your other suggestions are good areas but I'm not real familiar with them so did not offer them up. Yes the farther out the more likely the OP will find what they want but it will hamper their 80 minute requirement. If they get rid of that requirement there are some real nice locations they can look to basically in all directions.

OP needs to start looking hard and fast though with all the development going on. I'm in Josephine and until two years ago our population was about 680. Since then the city and ETJ has increased to 1250 and just on their ETJ fringes that is up 2000+ and growing. So many developments coming in.

Now if the OP wants to up their price Lonesome Dove Ranch here in Josephine is for sale.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Royse-City...home/180279417

It's move in condition and contains everything they're looking for and more! LOL

Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Yes S/SW of Fort Worth could also work.
I notice there seems to be a few options listed around Weatherford, Cresson etc that fit the bill. Bonus would be proximity to Motorsports Ranch where I can take my road cars for a run every now and then.

Perhaps I oversold my "atv down the street" thing in my original post. It's not like I'm building V8 sand rails and tearing it up every day of the week at 120 decibels. I just know that when I make a cross kart with a 600cc Gsxr engine, or convert a lawn tractor to electric and need to give it some right foot to test it out sometimes the neighbours in my current area are not too pleased. The street out front of my house is a good testing ground....

Old 10-11-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
No surprise on the Lucas and Parker land costs. However they are trying to keep it high end and would expect they have plenty enough restrictions to prevent what the OP wants to do.

Your other suggestions are good areas but I'm not real familiar with them so did not offer them up. Yes the farther out the more likely the OP will find what they want but it will hamper their 80 minute requirement. If they get rid of that requirement there are some real nice locations they can look to basically in all directions.

OP needs to start looking hard and fast though with all the development going on. I'm in Josephine and until two years ago our population was about 680. Since then the city and ETJ has increased to 1250 and just on their ETJ fringes that is up 2000+ and growing. So many developments coming in.

Now if the OP wants to up their price Lonesome Dove Ranch here in Josephine is for sale.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Royse-City...home/180279417

It's move in condition and contains everything they're looking for and more! LOL
Nice one! Don't think the budget can stretch that far heheh

Old 10-11-2022, 08:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
I would say around Weatherford if you are cool with being near Fort Worth as opposed to Dallas. I met a lady that lived in the area and really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas