Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 02:22 PM

8 posts, read 10,952 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recent (sometime in the last 2 years) information about Booker T Washington high school? Putting admission aside - what is the caliber of the teachers? Is the school well run? Effective administration? Is it academically rigorous? Are the students academically inclined or more focused on their other talents? How is it socially/student behavior/partying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 12:23 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
I don’t know any recent graduates but the the people I’ve met who went there were heavily focused on their talents and have gone on to have careers related to that. It’s very strict, I’ve met someone who was expelled from the school. They do reality television and advertising.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:13 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
I don't know anything about the internal workings of the school, but from what I have seen over 20-30 years is that if you have talent and you want to develop that talent....and be around some of the top talent in the country, it's probably one of the best schools in the country. I remember one kid I met who's parents told me he just never fit in other schools and they couldn't understand why.... this is a school where those kids tend to thrive as they do fit in and are celebrated.

Making a business and career out of talent is very very tough...probably like NFL tough....1 in 10,000 make it big....but there are many success examples....Erykah Badu and Norah Jones and Roy Hargrove come to mind...Edie Brickell (married Paul Simon)...and I'm sure many many others....

Go hang out at some performances or even just in the neighborhood when kids are around....and that may help you figure out if your kid would do well in the school.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:24 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
I know many kids there that are very happy and had previously been at TAG or private schools. Their mock trial team won state last year and top 10 in Nation. Those kids aren't just focused on their talent, but also focused academically.

Its not for everyone and I have a pet peeve that kids can only go into one art academy - so for example if they are into theater and music, they have to pick only one.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:25 AM

245 posts, read 254,154 times
Do you live in DISD or are you going to pretend to live in a 1 bedroom uptown apartment with 25 other families?

Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
It’s incredibly rigorous academically and talent wise. For example, in 2017, only 12 men in the nation were accepted into Julliard’s dance program. Five came from Booker T.

I do want to note that Booker T is for students who live within DISD boundaries. It is very much looked down upon to live outside the district, but lie on the application. I’m not sure if this was followed through, but the school was cracking down on those who were lying about where they lived. However, the school will look at out-of-district applicants once all qualified DISD students have been chosen. The message below is from the DISD website.

Dallas ISD Policy EHBJ (LOCAL): For each magnet program, all qualified in-district students shall be served before any out-of-district student may gain admission into that magnet program. Proof of residence must be submitted each year.

Falsifying information on the Magnet application will invalidate the application, and the student's application will be excluded from the selection process. The Dallas Independent School District reserves the right to change a student's enrollment status, placement and/or programming upon receipt of additional information.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:10 PM

Thank you all for your responses. We are zoned for DISD and are considering taking our child out of private school for Booker T if he were to get in. We have no issues with our current school, so I am trying to determine whether pulling him out would be the right choice (I know getting in is a long shot). We have applied and the audition is soon. I know several BTW graduates but not any current students so I am trying to figure out some details as to what it is like to be a student there now. We have gone to the open house, tour, workshops, shows, etc. and came out with positive views.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:43 PM

245 posts, read 254,154 times
If offered admission he should take it. BTW college placements are equal to or better than every private school in DFW. It’s a great education along with a ton of resources for the arts.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:42 PM

377 posts, read 381,992 times
What happens if I put a Dallas county post office box as my address? They gonna check it? LOL

Old 01-24-2023, 05:46 AM

The application requires you to attach a copy of a current lease, mortgage statement, or utility bill. Sadly, some people are not honest about those documents. At one of the meetings they said that the district is going to be double checking residence for all qualified students who did not attend a DISD middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: