Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Moving to Dallas, TX and wanted to find out best way to use/pay toll on freeways. Assuming will have an out of state number plate for the 1st month. Can anyone please advise on how to go about it, as this is my first time dealing with this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 08:45 PM

537 posts, read 449,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo2da View Post
Hello,
Moving to Dallas, TX and wanted to find out best way to use/pay toll on freeways. Assuming will have an out of state number plate for the 1st month. Can anyone please advise on how to go about it, as this is my first time dealing with this. Thanks.
Go to the NTTA office and get a toll tag after you get your Texas plates. You can't get a Texas drivers license until you get your Texas plates either.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:45 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Get a TollTag through NTTA. Info here: https://www.ntta.org

Old 03-10-2023, 01:01 PM

139 posts, read 113,357 times
You can always get your toll tag first with your out of state license plate if you're in a rush. Once you get your Texas license plate, you can call NTTA to update your account. Also, per NTTA rep, it is not necessary to stick your toll tag sticker on your windshield unless you are driving on toll roads outside of North Texas. Personally, I prefer not having a bunch of stickers on my windshield.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:52 PM

121 posts, read 165,642 times
Long time former resident of Dallas who was just there driving around last week.

EZ-Pass and TollTag are not interoperable. You can have an out of state license plate on a TollTag account.

I have a TollTag for my car that has NY license plates. On my NTTA account it shows my vehicle with NY license plates.

I removed the [sticky] TollTag itself of my windshield a long time ago and kept it in my glove compartment. Whenever I went through a Dallas-area toll reader I just held it up to the windshield. My account recorded the transactions properly.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:20 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,026,504 times
I have a toll tag but sticker is not attached to my windshield. They always remove the money from my acct when I use the toll (I do all in power to avoid paying tolls to NTTA)

Old 03-11-2023, 11:46 PM

817 posts, read 922,040 times
Toll tags also work to pay for parking at Love Field and DFW.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:55 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Toll tags also work to pay for parking at Love Field and DFW.

Take care to get an NTTA TollTag if you want to do this and not a TxDOT "TxTag." TxTag works on all the same roads but doesn't work for aiport parking.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 3,192 times
Thank you very much for the detailed responses. In summary sounds like:
- One can open a toll tag account online and all they need is a license plate number and vehicle model etc., does not have to be registered in the state of Texas.
- They will mail the toll tag sticker and it can take upto 14 days to get it or alternatively go pick it up at on office if you are already in Texas and it is nearby.
- The surprising part that I learnt up here also is that once I have a toll tag account and my vehicle license plate registered, I do not even need the sticker on my windshield(as long as I am within North Texas) and the system would still process the tolls and deduct correctly.
- When ready with new vehicle license plate number(like after registering vehicle in Texas) one can call to update the account so the the funds(prepaid if any) show up on the new vehicle.
- Worse case if someone new just drives in and happens to use the toll section of the freeway, its not very penalizing. They just send you the charge statement via postal email to the address in your dmv records and you can call or go online to pay. Slight premium over toll tag, but did not sound like anything significant.
- NTAA toll tags can also be used to pay for parking at the 2 airports (Love field and DFW)
- https://www.ntta.org

Thanks once again for helping me so promptly with my query.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
You can always get your toll tag first with your out of state license plate if you're in a rush. Once you get your Texas license plate, you can call NTTA to update your account. Also, per NTTA rep, it is not necessary to stick your toll tag sticker on your windshield unless you are driving on toll roads outside of North Texas. Personally, I prefer not having a bunch of stickers on my windshield.
I found the times I had to call NTTA that the people were pleasant and helpful
Not the horrors that others complained about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: