Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 60,959 times

Advertisements

So, we just accepted our spot to H preK and I called and got info on Aftercare today. The current cost is $1900 per semester and goes until 6pm. That is Happy Haps. They do not have holiday care the way some schools (GH and Parish) do. They also told me sign up is in July and, pricing is not expected to change (but it technically could).

Daisy Afternoons are still not fully back, since stopping in Covid. But these are add-ons. It is not two programs, if that makes sense. I think you could sign up for a Daisy Afternoon without doing Happy Haps. Examples she gave me of this were things like Yoga, dance, etc.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2023 View Post
Hi everyone, we're considering our little one for both Lamplighter and Hockaday. Given Hockaday's reputation and a K-12 school, it would seem like the obvious choice. However, after visiting both schools, we really loved Lamplighter, especially given its focus on young children's growth and development. Teachers were very passionate/energetic and children were remarkably engaged in the classroom. Hockaday's also really great but we somehow got the feeling that the lower school is not a major priority. We're having a hard time picking between the two schools. Does anyone have thoughts/comments on or experience at LL vs. Hockaday lower school?
I was just in a very similar situation and just decided on H. It’s really such a risk and I know someone who turned down a spot at another school thinking they would come back and reapply at the expansion year. They did not get in. It H is ultimately where you want to be, I’d accept it now.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:47 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow20 View Post
So, we just accepted our spot to H preK and I called and got info on Aftercare today. The current cost is $1900 per semester and goes until 6pm. That is Happy Haps. They do not have holiday care the way some schools (GH and Parish) do. They also told me sign up is in July and, pricing is not expected to change (but it technically could).

Daisy Afternoons are still not fully back, since stopping in Covid. But these are add-ons. It is not two programs, if that makes sense. I think you could sign up for a Daisy Afternoon without doing Happy Haps. Examples she gave me of this were things like Yoga, dance, etc.

Hope this helps!
Good move and congratulations!

Old 03-23-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Good move and congratulations!
Thank you!

Old 03-24-2023, 07:29 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
I'd point out that Hockaday is known over the US as one of the 10-20 finest schools for girls in the country. Lamplighter is well-known and well-regarded in Dallas, but not in the same league.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,983 times
My daughter started PreK at Hockaday and is now in MS. We never felt that LS was a pressure cooker environment - the teachers do an excellent job making learning fun.

Homework starts to ramp up in MS but that is expected, and from our experience, the teachers do a great job helping the girls transition to the additional workload and new independence.

As others have posted, applying to MS is very competitive, and you have no guarantee that your daughter will be accepted when that time comes.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:06 AM

303 posts, read 365,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'd point out that Hockaday is known over the US as one of the 10-20 finest schools for girls in the country. Lamplighter is well-known and well-regarded in Dallas, but not in the same league.
LL is a finishing school for SMS and Hockaday

Old 04-06-2023, 10:37 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenardMQ View Post
LL is a finishing school for SMS and Hockaday
Ummm, no...

maybe you mean "feeder school"? You may want to look up the meaning of "finishing school".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: