Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 06:31 AM

869 posts, read 319,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
So far, the only thing I've heard that makes any sense is that some people just like living so far out in the boondocks that no job they can do would be nearby, and they cannot do any remote jobs. I would think that the jobs that are farther out (or remote) may not pay as much or be one's ideal career path, but it shouldn't cost as much to live far out in the country, and it seems like it would be worth it.

I still do not see a valid justification to live in a dense city or suburb and commute far away to another dense suburb or urban area (for instance, McKinney to Irving or downtown Dallas). They could just move closer.

Whatever the reason, it all seems to be a case of wanting to have one's cake and eat it too.

Lol…that’s LITERALLY what it is. It’s what we as humans do on pretty much a daily basis, not just this topic.

It’s like a millionaire who buys a Lamborghini…why on earth does ANYONE need a 300k car that goes 600 mph, knowing you’ll NEVER hit that speed and when that 45k Toyota would have been just fine?

The answer: Simply because he can. That’s it, that’s all.

Driving 9 million miles from house to work and back is ridiculous, but hey…people can do what they want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 07:08 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,041,292 times
I have known quite a few folks who endured long commutes from rural areas. The vast majority of them do it because they can own a larger home/land in rural areas than they can in the city. If acreage is important you will either need financial resources or live in rural areas.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:47 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,088,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
[/b]

Lol…that’s LITERALLY what it is. It’s what we as humans do on pretty much a daily basis, not just this topic.

It’s like a millionaire who buys a Lamborghini…why on earth does ANYONE need a 300k car that goes 600 mph, knowing you’ll NEVER hit that speed and when that 45k Toyota would have been just fine?

The answer: Simply because he can. That’s it, that’s all.

Driving 9 million miles from house to work and back is ridiculous, but hey…people can do what they want to do.

My guess on that is that people (usually men) buy Lamborghinis to impress other people (usually women).

Old 05-07-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
My guess on that is that people (usually men) buy Lamborghinis to impress other people (usually women).

Lol...that too!

Old 05-07-2023, 12:39 PM

573 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:
So far, the only thing I've heard that makes any sense is that some people just like living so far out in the boondocks that no job they can do would be nearby, and they cannot do any remote jobs. I would think that the jobs that are farther out (or remote) may not pay as much or be one's ideal career path, but it shouldn't cost as much to live far out in the country, and it seems like it would be worth it.

I still do not see a valid justification to live in a dense city or suburb and commute far away to another dense suburb or urban area (for instance, McKinney to Irving or downtown Dallas). They could just move closer.

Whatever the reason, it all seems to be a case of wanting to have one's cake and eat it too.
The McKinney to FW commuter guy I mentioned before....I did ask him. He said they didn't want to uproot their daughters last 2 years of high school. Seems reasonable to me.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:49 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times
There are several reasons.

- Relative to most large metros, DFW actually has a very large and expansive road/highway network. None of the other top 5 metros other than maybe Houston compare to how extensively built up the roads are in DFW. Not just the highways either. DFW has a LOT of 6 lane arterial roads that help ease some of the burden on the highways that you just don't see in other places like say Atlanta. This allows long commutes to be less painful than they would be in other major metros.

- In terms of cost, Americans are willing to pay over time rather than pay upfront even if the over time cost is higher in the long run. So for example if the cost of buying a home on a decent sized lot with low crime/good schools in Dallas is very high upfront but would offer a shorter commute, most would rather buy further away for the lower upfront cost to get those same amenities while possibly paying more in the long run with tolls/gas/vehicle maintenance.

- Then even if some could afford a nicer neighborhood in Dallas, they might just prefer living in an overall more quiet, rural setting and only dealing with the fast pace of the city for working.

- Most high paying jobs are in or near cities. So even if you just overall prefer the rural lifestyle you'll still need to go into a city to make the money that you need to make to afford the lifestyle that you want.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:32 AM

95 posts, read 70,307 times
Quote:

"Valid justification" is a personal opinion and varies for each person. just because you don't see it, could be a great reason for others. using the car example - why don't we all just drive toyota corollas? because a corolla doesn't meet everyone's wants and needs.

location/proximity to... airport, shopping, entertainment, areas outside of DFW, family, jobs, lakes, hiking, school district, private schools
demographics/politics
community/neighborhoods
safety/crime
job availability
cost of selling and rebuying a home
home and land prices
acerage

Old 05-08-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebutter View Post
"Valid justification" is a personal opinion and varies for each person. just because you don't see it, could be a great reason for others. using the car example - why don't we all just drive toyota corollas? because a corolla doesn't meet everyone's wants and needs.

location/proximity to... airport, shopping, entertainment, areas outside of DFW, family, jobs, lakes, hiking, school district, private schools
demographics/politics
community/neighborhoods
safety/crime
job availability
home and land prices
acerage
But a Lamborghini doesn't meet ANY needs, other than to show other people how much money you have.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:44 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,088,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebutter View Post

demographics/politics
community/neighborhoods
safety/crime
job availability
home and land prices
acerage

Other than acreage, there are rarely places in the metro area one would need to make a ridiculous commute to meet any of those needs.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:06 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Quote:
Other than acreage, there are rarely places in the metro area one would need to make a ridiculous commute to meet any of those needs.
So basically, after various people have given you reasons that people choose to make long commutes, said people obviously thinking it's a valid choice, you turn right around and claim there's still no reason to make a long commute.

You are a bull-headed one, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas