Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 06:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times

Advertisements

Family of 4 looking to move back to Texas in the East Richardson/North Garland/East Plano/Wylie/Murphy/Sachse. Looking to send kids to good public schools is a priority and shopping, restaurants to be accessible within 5 minutes. Would like to be close to EPIC mosque.

There are many homes in that area built in 1980s etc. I want to steer away from a cookie cutter build this time and want a new experience although there were no real issues.

Questions:
How well do older Texas homes hold with its shifting foundation? (Slab)
What is the job market in that area of Dallas? I work from home but wife will be looking for a job.
How much is this area affected by Tornados compared to other areas of Dallas?
Any new laws that maybe impacting newcomers etc?
Any new developments happening in that area?
Anything else we need to know about?

Last edited by Capitalprophets; 08-08-2023 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 07:17 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Family of 4 looking to move back to Texas in the East Richardson/North Garland/East Plano/Wylie/Murphy/Sachse. Looking to send kids to good public schools is a priority and shopping, restaurants to be accessible within 5 minutes.

There are many homes in that area built in 1980s etc. I want to steer away from a cookie cutter build this time and want a new experience although there were no real issues.

Questions:
How well do older Texas homes hold with its shifting foundation?
What is the job market in that area of Dallas? I work from home but wife will be looking for a job.

1. Foundation - There are a lot of variables in play. Whether it is Pier and Beam or Slab (I would imagine slab in the areas you are looking as they aren't really that old), how the soil moisture was maintained, etc. Basically, I don't think you can make blanket statements about it, but it is something that you would have to have checked out and inspected.

2. Job Market - There are pretty large job centers relatively close to there (Richardson along 75, North Dallas around 635/75, etc.), but obviously depends on the type of position/industry, etc.

3. Tornadoes - Would be the same as anywhere else in North Texas

Only thing I would add is that if you are wanting to get away from a cookie cutter build, you are more likely to find that in areas further west in Richardson (although still not common). Most of the areas you mention are built out with cookie cutter/tract developments. The other option in that general vicinity for more of a unique home is going up to Parker/Lucas/etc. which has larger lots and some custom construction. Some of them are still just general cookie cutter construction, but there is more variety.

Of course, that all depends on budget.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:18 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
In the E. Rich/N.Garland, they like to build Coffee shops and car washes

Old 08-08-2023, 11:13 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Get the foundation inspected. Some areas have more clay, which is a problem for foundation.

If you want to choose areas with less problems. Check a soil map.

USDA Soil Map: https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/...oilSurvey.aspx

1) Enter the city and state in Address on the left.
2) Use AOI(Area of Interest) to create a rectangle around a location.
3) Click Soil Data Explorer tab at the top.
4) Expand Building Site Development.
5) Select Concrete on Slab, Pier-Beam Building Foundations, or Reinforced Concrete Slab.
6) Click View Rating.
7) Yellow and green zones will have less shifting. Red areas tend to have more problems.Don't shy away from the red areas. Get the foundation inspected by an engineer.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:37 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Didn’t you like maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago just rail against DFW? Funny how things change.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Didn’t you like maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago just rail against DFW? Funny how things change.
Although what I mentioned was true but it comes down to making decisions based on priorities. For us, its difficult to raise kids in a liberal state hence moving back to give them a good foundation. Will definitely have to give up on nice beaches, green scene, weather and being closer to family but at the same time giving up high cost of living. To tackle the green scene situation, I want to be closer to downtown which is full of trees.

There is one true way of finding out what you are not missing out on is by going there to live. It was a litmus test for us which is bringing us back.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:59 PM

578 posts, read 303,859 times
Truth is your coming back rest is bs if you come back. Lots of wrong people in this world welcome back.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Although what I mentioned was true but it comes down to making decisions based on priorities. For us, its difficult to raise kids in a liberal state hence moving back to give them a good foundation. Will definitely have to give up on nice beaches, green scene, weather and being closer to family but at the same time giving up high cost of living. To tackle the green scene situation, I want to be closer to downtown which is full of trees.

There is one true way of finding out what you are not missing out on is by going there to live. It was a litmus test for us which is bringing us back.
Good for you. IMO your logic works.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Truth is your coming back rest is bs if you come back. Lots of wrong people in this world welcome back.
I see your angle too.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
How well do older Texas homes hold with its shifting foundation? (Slab)They probably do as well as most of the new ones. You would want to have the foundation checked on a new build just as much as an old one.

That depends on what kind of job you do, but it's never smart to depend on one location for any job.

It's all the same, and it's all in tornado alley.

You would be under the same laws as people who have lived here a long time. You will need to get your car registration and driver's license. That's always fun.

Yes, there are some new developments in Wylie and parts of Garland and Rowlett if you're willing to venture there. Depending on your budget, you can even get on the lake. If you want a big house, you might look at Inspiration. New townhomes are still an option closer in to these areas if you don't need the space. There's less to maintain, too.

The property taxes are very high.

Last edited by Leonard123; 08-08-2023 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: