Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 04:36 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,245 times

Advertisements

According to this study of the top 100 most expensive ZIP codes in the country:

https://www.realtyhop.com/blog/most-...ip-codes-2023/

Highland Park 75205 and West Lake Hills 78746 were the only two TX ZIP Codes on the list.

Also in the top 100: Snowmass Village, CO; Sullivan's Island, SC; Crystal Bay, NV; Paradise Valley, AZ; and a whole lot of CA and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 05:36 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
I mean, it makes sense that only a couple Texas zip codes are in the list. River Oaks shares a zip code with an area that is less expensive, so it's not uniformly wealthy. Just like a lot of the N Dallas zip codes like 75220, 75229, and 75230. I'm kind of surprised 75225 isn't on the list, but maybe the average is brought down by the condos and townhouses on NW Hwy.

Old 11-09-2023, 06:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
From what I see online, the median list price in 92651 (Laguna Beach) should fit well within those first 100, but it isn't shown. I'll bet they're off somewhere. I would have expected to see more from all over Orange County.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:39 PM

329 posts, read 283,525 times
The methodology used in this composition is flawed, relying on list prices (inflated significantly since 2020), rather than actual sale prices. I think median household income is a far more accurate measure of an area’s relative wealth.

As for the two wealthiest Texas zip codes represented on this list — 78746 and 75205 — they couldn’t be more different. Whereas Westlake Hills shuns flashy and conspicuous consumption, Highland Park embraces it. The estates and mansions in Westlake are hidden behind gates and off main thoroughfares, whereas in Highland Park homes are visible from the street. Highland Park looks extremely wealthy with manicured landscaping, excellent infrastructure and roads, and a plethora of high-end restaurants and shopping. Westlake isn’t like that. Driving through the main thoroughfares of Westlake isn’t impressive and the retail is indistinguishable from middle class areas.

In Westlake, you see multimillionaires dressed in flip flops and Longhorns t-shirts, whereas in Highland Park, you hardly ever see residents not dressed in designer clothing. Both areas are heavily Conservative, in stark contrast to the Leftism that has infested their adjacent cities of Austin and Dallas, respectively.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
The methodology used in this composition is flawed, relying on list prices (inflated significantly since 2020), rather than actual sale prices. I think median household income is a far more accurate measure of an area’s relative wealth.

As for the two wealthiest Texas zip codes represented on this list — 78746 and 75205 — they couldn’t be more different. Whereas Westlake Hills shuns flashy and conspicuous consumption, Highland Park embraces it. The estates and mansions in Westlake are hidden behind gates and off main thoroughfares, whereas in Highland Park homes are visible from the street. Highland Park looks extremely wealthy with manicured landscaping, excellent infrastructure and roads, and a plethora of high-end restaurants and shopping. Westlake isn’t like that. Driving through the main thoroughfares of Westlake isn’t impressive and the retail is indistinguishable from middle class areas.

In Westlake, you see multimillionaires dressed in flip flops and Longhorns t-shirts, whereas in Highland Park, you hardly ever see residents not dressed in designer clothing. Both areas are heavily Conservative, in stark contrast to the Leftism that has infested their adjacent cities of Austin and Dallas, respectively.

I had never heard of West Lake Hills, but I looked it up at the precinct levels, and it's as blue and liberal as the rest of Austin. You are correct about Highland Park. It's still solid red. Highland Park's shopping center lost all its charm and fun shopping and dining years ago, and Preston Road was awfully bumpy every time I went, so I disagree about their infrastructure and roads. They are old and not designed for the massive buses, vans, and trucks people drive around these days.

Old 11-10-2023, 05:20 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post

The well off wear different "uniforms" (for lack of a better phrase) in the different places they congregate. In Austin, that uniform is more down to earth. In Highland Park, the look is a little more put together. The wealthiest place in North America is Teton County Wyoming and there, the idea is "dress down" because when you can afford to exist there, you have nothing left to prove to anyone.

Old 11-12-2023, 02:50 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,245 times
The "dressed down, no makeup, no fancy cars" style is so common in the Pacific Northwest all the way down to the SF Bay Area, as well as northern New England. Somehow associated with the Puritan and Calvinist idea that displaying wealth or taking pleasure in material things is somehow immoral. I think it's a big part of the Yankee mentality. Fits with the idea that Austin is a little blue island in a larger red state.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:20 AM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I had never heard of West Lake Hills, but I looked it up at the precinct levels, and it's as blue and liberal as the rest of Austin. You are correct about Highland Park. It's still solid red. Highland Park's shopping center lost all its charm and fun shopping and dining years ago, and Preston Road was awfully bumpy every time I went, so I disagree about their infrastructure and roads. They are old and not designed for the massive buses, vans, and trucks people drive around these days.
When's the last time you drove to say Highland Park Village?

Old 11-13-2023, 08:06 AM

631 posts, read 884,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
The "dressed down, no makeup, no fancy cars" style is so common in the Pacific Northwest all the way down to the SF Bay Area, as well as northern New England. Somehow associated with the Puritan and Calvinist idea that displaying wealth or taking pleasure in material things is somehow immoral. I think it's a big part of the Yankee mentality. Fits with the idea that Austin is a little blue island in a larger red state.
Some people just legitimately don't get much pleasure from conspicuous consumption like wearing the most expensive clothing. It doesn't mean they think consumption is immoral or that they don't enjoy any luxuries. There are plenty of people who love experiences like exotic travel but would rather wear jeans and t-shirt than a designer suit.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
When's the last time you drove to say Highland Park Village?

I drove there about two years ago. It was depressing. It will never regain its charm. It had gotten worse and worse each year though for some time when I visited more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: